Old 06-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #197
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Some previous posters have already had parts replaced by Airstream, so I think the precedent has been established.

An aside:
Sure wish I could count on my local dealership to be (pick any: useful, helpful, quality-minded, attentive, service-oriented). That's my pickle: I must go find a dealership other than where I bought the coach. The owner's manual clearly states that any authorized Airstream repair facility can be used for warranty work, but we've all read plenty about how some places are not so willing for some reason (for warranty work)...

Cheers,
-jd.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:11 PM   #198
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Fortunately, we get ours worked on where we bought it, and we may have lucked out with our situation. The person who actually sold us the Bambi is now working in the service department, and he is a top notch individual. But when we first bought the trailer, it had some issues, and we were working with other people and it was an uphill battle getting anything done well.

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 11:50 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cats
Some previous posters have already had parts replaced by Airstream, so I think the precedent has been established.

An aside:
Sure wish I could count on my local dealership to be (pick any: useful, helpful, quality-minded, attentive, service-oriented). That's my pickle: I must go find a dealership other than where I bought the coach. The owner's manual clearly states that any authorized Airstream repair facility can be used for warranty work, but we've all read plenty about how some places are not so willing for some reason (for warranty work)...

Cheers,
-jd.
Hi, 5cats. It will be a little drive, but have you tried C&G Trailer Service in Bellflower, Ca? Rod and Darlene are an authorized Airstream repair center and they do not sell new Airstreams; So their interests are in repairs. I don't think some of the dealers aren't willing as much as, maybe, not capable of doing these repairs. When you go to C&G Trailer Service and see 30 or 40 Airstreams of all ages, smashed, bashed, and broken being repaired, you will see some obvious experience in action that's impressive. I don't think you will find too many places like this in this whole country.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:54 AM   #200
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Fortunately, we get ours worked on where we bought it, and we may have lucked out with our situation. The person who actually sold us the Bambi is now working in the service department, and he is a top notch individual. But when we first bought the trailer, it had some issues, and we were working with other people and it was an uphill battle getting anything done well.
Do you mind telling where you're getting your service work done?

I'd like to know a reliable place to take my Airsteam for service. The 2 Airstream dealers I have dealt with in the past were horrible, and the management - Dave Schumann - at Jackson Center blackmailed me into taking my trailer all the way to the factory which is over a 1000 mile round trip from my home (at my expense) under the threat that they would not cover repairs to my trailer under warranty unless I brought it there. (And then he made me sign an agreement not to divulge this.)

John
Old 06-02-2007, 05:59 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
We've got a 2005 CCD and my springtime W&W (Wash and Walbernize) showed this corrosion on the taillights and the entry door grab handle. After reading almost all of the posts in this thread, I got out my Dremel and wire wheel attachment and cleaned up the tail light. Then I put the polishing wheel on with a bit of polishing compound to finish the job. It doesn't look too bad, better than the corrosion and it only took about 10 minutes. I'll treat with WD-40 until my quart of ACF-50 arrives. I'm a little skittish about doing the same to the door handle as the corrosion goes right up next to the trailer skin and I son't want to accidentally break the clearcoat on the skin. I'll give it a week to build the requisite courage and then try it - mabye with some masking tape on the skin.

I'll keep reading this post to see if a permanent solution develops. I'll also have my dealer look at it when we take the AS in for refrigerator warranty work to see what they recommend or have heard from AS.

I do agree with one post that I read - as long as it doesn't get to be an all-over the trailer problem and I can keep up with it, I can live with it - the benefits of owning this baby so far, are by far outweighed by the minor inconveniences. As much as I'd like our baby to remain in 'just off the production line' shape, I understand that this is not possible. Some amount of work and attention will be required to keep her as close to that as possbile and I'm willing to do it.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:08 AM   #202
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, 5cats. It will be a little drive, but have you tried C&G Trailer Service in Bellflower, Ca? Rod and Darlene are an authorized Airstream repair center and they do not sell new Airstreams; So their interests are in repairs. I don't think some of the dealers aren't willing as much as, maybe, not capable of doing these repairs. When you go to C&G Trailer Service and see 30 or 40 Airstreams of all ages, smashed, bashed, and broken being repaired, you will see some obvious experience in action that's impressive. I don't think you will find too many places like this in this whole country.
To date we have performed all fixes ourselves. so no, I haven't tried C&G, but have heard only Good Things about them. Southwest Coaches in Irvine, too. Another choice might be Inland RV (hi Andy!). So I must admit I do have choices.

I nearly bought from Troy at Southwest Coaches, but was enamored by a lower price and proximity (10 miles) with the in-town dealer...which turned out to be an unwise decision. (OK, gone off topic here!)

So thanks for the third option (C&G). I'll be making some calls.

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:58 AM   #203
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Wheel Well moldings...

I have found the wheel well mouldings have clear coat on them. I took laquer thinner, wiped them repeadedly to remove the clear coat. Then, I used Nu-Metal polish and polished them up like chhhhhhhrome. They look awesome, only need a maintenance polish and no more clear coat problems.

I guess you could re-clear them as well.
Old 06-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #204
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
I have found the wheel well mouldings have clear coat on them....

that reads like a very nice owner mod 'ss got any photos?

but to clarify...

the wheels well moulding, classic window frames, main door frame...

and other aluminum bits that are not made from the alcoa skin sheet metal...

don't have clearcoat on them...

the DO have plasti-coat on them...

this layer is applied by a/s or the vendor for these moulded bits....

it is closer in formula to the old style plasti-coat NOT the alcoa applied clearcoat.

that is why it can be removed with common solvents....

the rivet heads are also uncoated....

so oxidation, corrosion and so on on ALL/most of the aluminum trim bits...

is and issue we need to deal with...now and later.

this info doesn't apply to the tail light housings, wheels and grab handles which are 'chromed' not aluminum.

of course some models have aluminum housings and wheels or different style grab handles....

for example the alcoa wheels on the classics up to 2005 are uncoated and can be polished up....

how long did it take to polish the wheel well trim and how long has the work lasted?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #205
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Wheel well trim...

2air...

I dont have any pics, however I will definately take some. The quality of the aluminium as well as the extrusion adds to the look on these. Polished up, you'd swear that they were chromed.

I have about 1 hour in stripping both of them, and no more than 2-2.5 to polish both.

If my Alcoas and molding are both clean, you need sunglasses!!

I will post some pics,
Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 PM   #206
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just as an update, I have had zero communication from Airstream Customer Support or Dave Schumann. I was out for about 10 days, and the path of this thread has gotten even more interesting.

Not covered under warranty?!

A few more units added to the list?!

A developed procedure to resolve the corrosion issue that may or may not have gone bust?

A battle to replace parts, but Lew gets a treasure chest sent his way? I for one may also have been one of the lucky ones where the factory, when at Jackson Center, replaced all 4 of my rims, and both cast alum tail lights.

I'm fairly concerned about what I've been reading here that has been posted over the last few weeks. I may try to contact Dave again and get some answers straight out of the horses mouth.

BTW, these past 10 days, I was out in the Safari and alas, the corrosion on my unit has gotten at least 2 to 3x worse than was in the orig pics taken about 5-6 months ago and mostly at the locations where Airstream placed rivets into the skin. Tell me how that warranty work could be denied if I were still under warranty?!

At the rate my shell coating is decaying (at the rivets alone, not even getting into my second set of rims and second set of cast alum tail lights that also have the same thing happening again), and really that's what it looks like, I would estimate (and I'm not an expert), that in about 2-4 years time, my unit will be so bad in so many different areas of the outer skin with of this problem, that my unit's resale value will have been effected and it will really look like a POS.

I know and have met Jim P. Very nice guy and very level headed. I know that if Jim said what he said, it must now be company policy, but I am not sure he makes the calls on what is warranty and what is not, even if the coach is still under the factory warranty, but I won't speculate much beyond that. I found Jim in my interactions to be helpful and great to work with.

However, outside of Jim and a few other nice folks at Airstream, I have found that Airstream in general has TOTALLY dropped the ball on this single issue and to that end, it becomes totally pathetic given the high cost of these units that are touted as being built by artisans. Artisans my..... well, you know what I mean, one simply has to read the QC threads.

I have encountered dozens of folks at RV shows and on the road, and as they gleam and are interested in my Airstream, I am very quick to point out how my outer skins alone are corroding, and they cool very quickly to the idea of buying a new one after that. Eventually, and it may take some time, this issue will come back to haunt them.

Keep 'em coming folks....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:09 AM   #207
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, I washed the Safari yesterday, after my last 10 day trip down to southern Indiana. I found new areas that I previously hadn't seen before. On my rear curbside end cap, where there are no rivets, no seams, just plain old alum sheet, I have spider veins. UGH!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #208
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Updated

Question??

Has anyone out there who has an Airstream with the corrosion problem, and still under warranty, recently been to an Authorized Airstream Service Facility? And if yes, was anything offered or done to correct the defect?

John
Old 06-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #209
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Question??

Has anyone out there who has an Airstream with the corrosion problem, and still under warranty, recently been to an Authorized Airstream Service Facility? And if yes, was anything offered or done to correct the defect?

John
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I noticed some corrosion on the tail light bezels and the grab handle by the door, and added it to a short list of warranty issues (which expired on June 10th) when I took it to the dealership two weeks ago for some routine maintenance. The service advisor called today and said they were done. He told me that they had tried the factory reccommended solution, which was to remove the parts, strip the clearcoat, polish the corrosion out and recoat, but were not satisfied with the results so they ordered new parts from Jackson Center and replaced them. Fortunately, I have not yet seen any corrosion on the skin or around the rivets like many others have. I will be picking the trailer up tomorrow afternoon, and will let you know how it turned out if you are interested.
WDCU
Old 06-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #210
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Do you mind telling where you're getting your service work done?

I'd like to know a reliable place to take my Airsteam for service. The 2 Airstream dealers I have dealt with in the past were horrible, and the management - Dave Schumann - at Jackson Center blackmailed me into taking my trailer all the way to the factory which is over a 1000 mile round trip from my home (at my expense) under the threat that they would not cover repairs to my trailer under warranty unless I brought it there. (And then he made me sign an agreement not to divulge this.)

John
John,
I don't mind at all, and sincerely apologize for taking so long to get back. I had sent you a PM, but discovered while clearing out some of my sent messages this morning that it apparently didn't get sent. I have the work done by Parkview RV in Smyrna, DE, where I bought the trailer. I sure hope they weren't one of the two dealers you've already tried. If so, I believe they have recently made some positive changes in their service department. As I indicated before, my experience wasn't always this good, especially when I first bought the trailer.

They completed almost everything on my list, and those items that weren't done was because they were waiting for parts, and I needed the the trailer to prep for the trip to the International Rally in Perry. They said they would contact me when the parts were in and would complete the repairs under warranty. They even repaired/replaced a couple of items that they found that were not on my list. If you would like more detail, I would be glad to PM you (or try to!).

For those interested in the corrosion issue, after trying the factory reccommended fix of stripping the off clearcoat and polishing out the corroded areas, the dealership wasn't satisfied with the results and replaced the grab handle, even though it meant peeling back some interior skin, and they replaced both tail light bezels, even though I had only noticed corrosion on the left one. On appearance, all work was equal to, or exceeded the original.

WDCU