Old 08-21-2014, 12:24 PM   #2073
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Performing tedious maintenance to make up for a manufacturer's negligence and defects is not my idea of Recreation. Nor do I have the leisure time to deal with it. I just want Thor to stand up and do what's right as many others do. This thread has not died for a reason and is testament to the broad impact it is having on the owner community. This thread is one of the most read in the board history. That speaks for itself. I am one who values the shared experiences of other owners and the simple fact that this affects so many makes it a popular topic. I don't mind the maintenance tips but I personally am tired of those who come on this thread and complain about those who seek to get remedy from Thor... It was started to try to come to grips with what is a real problem with this trailer and a manufacturer that refuses to stand behind it. Lets keep the pressure on Thor to do what is right and if nothing else warn would be owners of the lack of follow through of a vendor who refuses to stand behind their product.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #2074
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Tomz, the tedious maintenance takes me about an hour once a quarter to apply CorrosionX, touch up the nicks, and has kept our Airstream totally corrosion free after three years. Those on the coast or tow through northern road salt will have to wash, treat and repair more often.

The basis for a settlement is poor for us who have learned to follow this simple regimen, and we learned it right here in this thread.

The reality is we have learned nothing of value in the lawsuit discussion, Thor isn't reading it and could care less because Airstream Service Center fixes corrosion daily and has all the first hand input they need, and future owners are in a six month waiting line outside their door.

This is a good thread and it's value is not in the lawsuit discussion, that's a dead horse.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #2075
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
If someone wants to file suit against Airstream go for it. Personally I bought my Airstream eyes wide open, warts and all. I have no grounds for sueing anyone. Once I get my trailers issues cleaned up it will take me a few minutes a year to maintain it. I am retired and my time is cheap these days.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #2076
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
It annoys some of us who would benefit from a class action suit that others would rather acquiesce and accept the challenge of maintaining a clearly defective product. ... Thor has mitigated the issue on the beltline somewhat, but for those of us with mid 2000's trailers, it is still a sore point and I see their action of adding a beltline trim to more recent models as admission of the MANUFACTURING DEFECT.
I am old enough (as so many on this forum) to remember all those cars with peeling paint in the 1990s. A class action suit was filed in Texas over peeling paint on Ford trucks (http://airwolf.lmtonline.com/news/ar...10/pagea11.pdf). That suit continued to the Texas Supreme Court where the "class" was not certified (https://www.supreme.courts.state.tx....y/980539TP.pdf) which I, as a non-lawyer, assume means that the suits would have had to be filed individually.

Chrysler seems to have taken an approach of individual repair (Winners Against Chrysler in Paint Problems). I am unable to find any record on the internet of a class-action suit against Chrysler regarding the peeling paint problem. Airstream's approach seems to be similar to what Chrysler did.

Tim
Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #2077
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Doug, I respectfully suggest you stick to the topic and if you wish to start a mainenance thread, by all means do so. The original poster made quite clear his intentions in starting this thread. It annoys some of us who would benefit from a class action suit that others would rather acquiesce and accept the challenge of maintaining a clearly defective product. Thor has mitigated the issue on the beltline somewhat, but for those of us with mid 2000's trailers, it is still a sore point and I see their action of adding a beltline trim to more recent models as admission of the MANUFACTURING DEFECT. I know you had an affected model and you probably took a pretty big hit when you sold it... Others like you, who perhaps have not yet sold their units, have a vested interest in seeing this issue resolved.

Tom, you make a good point about Silvertwinkle's intentions with his first posts from so long ago. And, the idea of Class action has come up several times since--if you read through the entire thread, I have. However, you only need to go through the first few posts and owners are already posting ways they are finding to deal with the problems also. The thread has been a place for years to vent frustrations with Thor and this problem, but I present to you that the real value gained is the maintenance procedures posted here, shared by those who have worked to minimize and stop or prevent this problem. To say "stick to the topic" and "start a maintenance thread" elsewhere is one; way too late, and two; not at all proper now since this thread is where the vast body of self help concerning Filiform now resides.
I would suggest a new thread designated to those who want to specifically discuss a class action suit.

Howard

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #2078
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Thanks Howard, for the thoughtful reply. My suggestion to Doug was simply a reply to his suggestion that the thread split. I too, have read through nearly the entire thread, and have been subscribed for a couple of years now. I've tried a few of the suggested remedies without satisfaction.

I believe if there is enough interest, the folks who continue to argue for a real remedy, one that demonstrates Thor's interest in standing behind their product, will generate perhaps some private discussion among affected owners. Sooner or later, a good legal professional may choose to step up and take on the case. We have a pretty aggressive legal litigation environment here in Florida, so I would hope a similar minded attorney might take it up and file the suit here.

In the meantime, I would suggest that we all display a bit of tolerance to each other and stop calling each other out for distracting from the issue, whichever approach you might take. We are all airstreamers by choice and we need to respect each others methods for dealing with this. I feel I bought a defective product and I have yet to see Thor address it in any meaningful way, either by remedy or by acknowledgement of the issue, and publishing a remedy for maintaining the product. Nor am I satisfied they have improved their processes to eliminate it for future owners. That to me is unacceptable. I will speak with my wallet and never own another Thor product as log as this situation persists. In the meantime, let the discussions continue!
Old 08-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #2079
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Thor will not miss you or the rest of us on the forums. We are a small minority and only part of us see this as a major problem. Good luck. Jim
Old 08-23-2014, 05:58 AM   #2080
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
It's a major problem and many are leaving Airstream products as word leaks out because of the internet postings, especially as these newer Airstreams are starting to age and issues are really starting to manifest.

After owning three modern Airstreams I was asked at a dealership for my opinion if I were to buy another and I had to say - not till they improve quality on the Aluminum structure and address the corrosion issues.

The little things can be fixed but the frame and aluminum shell and all the riveted accessories need to be sorted from the factory.

Ever watch the side of your Airstream when deploying the Zeep Dee Awning?

I do think they will get sorted but for now buying an Airstream warrants patience and acceptance of a product subpar when compaired with other trailers in similar price points.
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:02 AM   #2081
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
BTW - Airstreams are still the greatest trailers, I think were are all seeing a small transition period in build quality. 2015 ducted A/C shows Thor is addressing issues and progressing the development of the product, just need to be patient or go into Airstream ownership with eyes wide open.
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:04 AM   #2082
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What other manufacturers sell a $100,000 trailer?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 06:17 AM   #2083
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Forum members are a very small percentage of owners. And only a few forum members post regularly. Most members of the Wally club still do not use the forums. So you are talking to a tiny percentage if AS owners, neverthe less the problems do exist.jim
Old 08-23-2014, 08:35 AM   #2084
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
What other manufacturers sell a $100,000 trailer?

Hi M.. A 40 ft Thor Redwood 5th wheel, 2013 new on the lot $117,000 for example: wood cabinets (cherry stained beech, not hickory like yours), convection microwave, max fan in kitchen, 1 piece fiberglass shower, porcelain toilet, heat duct in bathroom, power roof vent, fully enclosed and heated underbelly, etc. Sounds a lot like Airstream standard. Yes, there are sliders and some other stuff (30,000 btu a/c, ice maker, dishwasher), but when I walk into my bottom line Flying Cloud and look at the beautiful all aluminum interior, clean lines, masterfully fitted cabinets, etc. I would never trade--Not to mention the one ton diesel I would need to haul the Redwood monster around with. Plus, it still has a rubber roof that will bake itself brittle in the sun.

I just bought the wife a Infinity QX 70, traded a Tahoe for the little crossover SUV. I look at that little thing and think how can that cost or even compare to the roomy and fully loaded Chevy (cost about the same). But then, I get in and drive with the Z car suspension and 325 hp V6 engine and think, wow, this is fun. Just saying, when I pull the 30 down the road following as straight as an arrow, when people come up while camping saying they hope to have one some day, I know I'm in the exact trailer I want to be in. Yes, Thor needs to do more. They should address the cut and unprotected panel edges and rivet holes. However, as posted before, during my working years, my office was an all aluminum structure and you must continually maintain no matter how well protected when new. SOBs the same. If you don't keep the plastic hulks polished, they become faded and streak oxidation down the sides. If they develop a leak, you usually find out when the fiberglass and gel coat delaminates.

By the way, good luck at JC with all your little quality control issues. Let us know how the repairs come out. I would be very surprised if Airstream does not make everything right.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #2085
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
That's what I am hoping for- that Airstream will make everything right-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:40 PM   #2086
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I suspect that Airstream is considered a "halo brand" by Thor and after looking at an $80,000 AS, customers start looking at other Thor products in the under $40,000 category. And, I suspect that those Thor TT's actually contribute more to the bottom line than an AS. I've already passed on buying another AS product (bought a Leisure Van instead of an Interstate) and just smile when friends oh and ah over my 25 FB Safari guest accommodations. In my opinion AS ownership is almost a cult and I find it difficult to defend a manufacturer that knowingly sells a product that doesn't meet my standards of perceived value.