Old 06-18-2014, 07:16 AM   #1975
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I posted some years ago about corrosion around one of the ceiling lights of our 06 Interstate, which we have had 7 years.

We treated this area, but corrosion is coming back and, additionally, coming thru on an independent spot on the ceiling, in the vicinity of the affected light.

The spot was about the size of a dime when we noticed it a few months ago, is now about the size of a quarter. Just haven't been ready to think about dealing with it.

I am certain the original area, and the new one, are the result of the leaking vent fan from our first year or two with the Interstate. The factory install was very badly done, with the pre-drilled holes filled with caulk for some unknown reason, and new ones randomly drilled.

Needless to say, no amount of caulk stopped the leaking around the fan, and once Doug stripped everything down to the roof he could see why. Fantastic Fan sent a new install kit, for free, Doug put it in place properly, and there have been no more problems.

I shudder to think of what would be involved in repairing this.....at least some piece of the ceiling removed and replaced, hopefully not cabinets and everything internal, but I'm guessing they won't know til they get in there and look.

I have hoped maybe they can remove a midsection of the ceiling, and replace it, rather than the entire ceiling panel.

Would like some input from you, more savvy, folks out there, as to whether I must or should go to JC for this, what to ask for, are my thoughts reasonable, etc.

Whatever you can suggest would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Maggie

Old 06-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #1976
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Maggie, can you post a photo of the affected area?

Howard

Old 06-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #1977
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is flipped around, off the IPad, but the little bubble by the light is the new spot.

The big bubble, of course, is what is occurring on the ceiling, and is actually toward the center of the ceiling.

Thanks,

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	214450  
Old 06-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #1978
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
This is flipped around, off the IPad, but the little bubble by the light is the new spot.

The big bubble, of course, is what is occurring on the ceiling, and is actually toward the center of the ceiling.

Thanks,

Maggie
First Maggie, please accept my deepest sympathies about your loss of Doug. Thank the Lord you had a great 6 1/2 years of retirement together. We enjoy every day we travel in our Airstream, so understand why you two did also.

That new spot at the rivet, tells me you still have water up there--maybe still a leak in the roof. So you have to solve that problem first. You can pull the light down (get under the outer edge and pull down, the lights are held up there by two springs that kind of spread out and push down on the under side of the skin. Hard to explain, but you will see when you have the light down a little). Get your finger in there and feel for moisture. If you have one of those moisture meters, stick the prongs in there to check for moisture in the insulation. You can also pin prick the new bubble at the rivet to see if water is present.

Once you are sure all will stay dry there, you can either have the panel replaced (have no idea what that costs) or clean off the corrosion and reseal with clear coat. Those places are small and should not show too much. Look at my post, this thread, on 2/2/2014. Since the aluminum is a plain alloy and not the AlClad of old, the area you sand and re-polish will be a darker gray than the Alcoa coated skin look. If you want to finish the repaired area with a close color match to the Alcoa factory finish, look at post 4/10/2014: airstream restoration/repair/ext. restoration/clear-coat/ ext. paint and trim. Spray painting small areas like you have can be done OK and the fix will look better than just cleaning off the corrosion and leaving the aluminum alloy a different color, but not sure if the work would be worth it on such a small area. The spray paint fix, even though a close match to the Alcoa clear coat, is not perfect. If you chose to fix yourself, drill out and remove the rivet at the new problem area. Replace the rivet when fix complete. (Dremel Tool has small little buffing/sanding wheels that work very well on the aluminum skin and easy to use on small areas.)

Good Luck
Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1109.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	379.4 KB
ID:	214451  
Old 06-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #1979
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you for your sympathy, and for your excellent advice.

The new spot is not at a rivet, it just appeared on the ceiling.

I hadn't thought of there still being moisture, just thought the corrosion was doing what corrosion does, working its way to wherever.

I will get out there and feel inside the light area. We stopped at JC and had them replace that light for us last year, because the area had corroded so badly the light bits & pieces basically fell apart.

The light no longer worked, and the little spring thingies that hold it up had broken apart. They didn't mention any moisture up there, nor did we see or feel any when it was hanging down, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

It had not occurred to me that I could fix this myself, either. I thought that the corrosion coming thru from the other side of that panel would just continue unless it was replaced.

Won't it?

Maggie
Old 06-19-2014, 12:57 AM   #1980
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
""It had not occurred to me that I could fix this myself, either. I thought that the corrosion coming thru from the other side of that panel would just continue unless it was replaced.

Won't it?""

If you remove what ever is causing corrosion, clean the area and then protect (cover coat with corrosion x or paint) the corroded spot, it will stop. Trouble is your problem is coming from between the inner and outer hull. That can only mean to me that you have moisture in there and probably a dissimilar metal working on the aluminum. You say there is no rivet at the new spot. That means the corrosion has worked completely through the interior skin. For that to happen, moisture and probably a piece of dissimilar metal must be up there--a steel screw or something laying in contact with inside of the aluminum panel. Really, to fix it for certain, you probably would need to remove that panel, water test from the outside, repair any leak, install new dry insulation and then replace the inside panel. Short of that, I would re-caulk everything on that suspect skylight or fan opening on the roof and any suspect seam close by. Then, after you are sure the insulation is dry, do those touch up repairs on the ceiling panel.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #1981
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Howard.

I'm pretty sure the leaking up there is stopped, and have recently had the entire roof gone over with silkaflex, again.

Any thoughts on whether this requires a trip to JC?

Maggie
Old 06-19-2014, 06:44 AM   #1982
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I really don't know Maggie. But your new spot that showed up is caused by something happening up there. If you find moisture present in the insulation, you probably should pull that inside panel, find the problem and get it stopped. If you are close to JC go. You might try customer service call first. Ask for Dan Snyder, he's been there a long time, has always had an answer to my questions.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #1983
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'm about 6 hours from JC, and had thought I would head that way a little later this summer.

Waiting for the dust to settle on estate issues and a couple of other things going on here before I take that on.

I had wondered if there was another option, also thought I would throw it out here and see what the Forums brains had to offer.

Will let y'all know what shakes out with this.

Thanks,

Maggie
Old 06-19-2014, 05:09 PM   #1984
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
I'm about 6 hours from JC, and had thought I would head that way a little later this summer.

Waiting for the dust to settle on estate issues and a couple of other things going on here before I take that on.

I had wondered if there was another option, also thought I would throw it out here and see what the Forums brains had to offer.

Will let y'all know what shakes out with this.

Thanks,

Maggie
Hi, Maggie; Clean or sand off the bad spots and put flower decals over them and forget about it. [or whatever decals that you would like]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #1985
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I know you must be kidding about covering it with decals.

It will just continue to spread, won't it?

Becoming the corrosion that ate my ceiling?

Maggie
Old 06-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #1986
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
I know you must be kidding about covering it with decals.

It will just continue to spread, won't it?

Becoming the corrosion that ate my ceiling?

Maggie
Hi, no not kidding; I damaged the outside of my trailer and covered it with an American flag decal. I think it sort of seals the area. My decal has been on my trailer for almost nine years now. I damaged my brand new trailer on it's way home from Oregon to California. Clean the bad area first and cover it up.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #1987
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, no not kidding; I damaged the outside of my trailer and covered it with an American flag decal. I think it sort of seals the area. My decal has been on my trailer for almost nine years now. I damaged my brand new trailer on it's way home from Oregon to California. Clean the bad area first and cover it up.
Hehehe,

I did exactly the same thing on our previous SOB trailer!

It had a stupid arrangement whereby the awning had a lock handle that folded in towards the trailer on the support arm.

One day - probably after one too many G&T's - I rolled the awning in due to an impending storm and didn't notice that I had left the lock handle in the folded out position!

As the awning rolled up and the arm came in, the extend handle poked a neat 1" diameter hole in the side of our fiberglass trailer side!

I knew I could never repair it to be invisible, but some epoxy putty and then a small Canadian flag decal did a perfect job!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #1988
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Morton , Illinois
Need a little advice. This Friday I am bringing home a new Airstream. Then Sunday we are taking off on a Yellowstone trip. It is my first one and I want to give it the best of care. I know nothing about clear coats to treat for filform prevention but I have been reading this forum. I have found a source local source of clearcoat by Duplicolor but it is available as Acrylic Laquor or Acrylic Enamel. Can anyone advise me which to use?
Also should I treat the rivits and edges with Corrosion X before the clearcoat or wait for the first sign of filform.
Thanks for the help.

Hobo