Old 05-02-2014, 09:23 PM   #1919
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
ggoat, someone ought to take you behind the barn and teach you some manners.

Howard has offered repairs and contributed more to solving this corrosion issue than anyone here. He is taking damn good care of his Airstream and showing us how to take care of ours. You are offering nothing, go away.
If you had the perceptual ability to comprehend what you were reading, you would realize that I was AGREEING with the example that Howard gave as what NOT to do; i.e., sanding too deep.

Now that you've been schooled as to what everyone (including Howard) clearly understood from my post (i.e., reiterating to not sand too deep), I offer this advice:

1) Knees.
2) Commence.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #1920
'06 75th Winick Prototype

2006 19' International CCD
1968 22' Safari
The Swamps of Hell , Lousy-Anna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
You are correct if your area is small. Don't take the time, just stop it from growing--corrosion x, etc. But if you have a bigger area, you might want to reconsider and do a repair. You have the , after sanding, picture there. Look at the same area after -- spraying with metallic paint and then re clear coating. It's not a perfect match, but much better than corrosion, and as you will agree, much better than just sanding and leaving.

Having trouble getting more than one photo on tonight, will shoot you a photo of paint used.

Looks great, Howard!

Old 05-02-2014, 09:50 PM   #1921
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
Howard L stores in the same facility as I do. He has, most graciously, shown me his touch ups, and I have to say that they look great. The pictures are good, but seeing it in person is impressive.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:39 AM   #1922
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Howards tips and advice are textbook quality, I'm thinking definitive. Be great if selected posts could be archived and made readily viewable in a persistent area of the forum. So many forums and posts the gems get buried over time.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #1923
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Howards tips and advice are textbook quality, I'm thinking definitive. Be great if selected posts could be archived and made readily viewable in a persistent area of the forum. So many forums and posts the gems get buried over time.
Thanks, but in reality, I scanned this thread and found the work done by those who have been dealing with this much longer than I, and from their knowledge just tried to take the repair work a bit farther. I would also love to have an area on the forum where successful repair work could be consolidated and readily available for view. Any body know how, lets do it, at least with the corrosion issue. We start with posts like those of Robert Cross'--his repairs, internet links to the types of corrosion (I bet he's posted those here a half dozen times). Gene's posts, and dkottum with his well thought out maintenance program go next.
Just an example, but a year or so back there was a post where tail light castings that were corroded badly had been removed, sanded down, repainted with a matching paint and reinstalled, they looked great--photos of the work lead the way. Out of nearly 2000 posts where is that info now?
Old 05-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #1924
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Howard, thanks for giving Bob Cross credit. Just because he's not posting on the Forum anymore (he's out there reading, not posting), his contributions should not be forgotten.

If you are referring to me, thanks, but I never thought I had that much to say, just willing fingers to type endlessly.

As our Safari ages, I find it less important to worry about dings and discoloration caused by corrosion. I've been following Bob Sunrus' lead and we haven't waxed the trailer in 2 or 3 years. Still looks fine as the new waxes last and last. We're remodeling another house, so we are busy enough. But there are some very good solutions and if I were more motivated, I'd follow them. Fortunately we live in the high desert and have less corrosion here. Our new house is even more in the desert, so dry is good for aluminum skin, though not for my skin.

Gene
Old 05-06-2014, 03:47 PM   #1925
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
""Chuck, it really doesn't matter that they are dragging the panel edges across the floor. The Alcoa pre coated panel edges are already opened by the cutting process that sized them to fit.""

""Doug, even though Airstream forms and cuts to size the Alcoa per-coated panels, I was under the impression that all edges were sealed prior to delivery to the assembly line. ""

I talked to customer service today. Doug was correct. Airstream takes the flat baked on clear coated panels from Alcoa then cuts and molds them to size for construction of the outer shell. They do not re-clear coat the cut edges. To me, this makes it even more important to clear coat the exposed edges on a new trailer as soon as you get it home.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 AM   #1926
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I need some of that clear coat pen stuff for small easy applications - where do you get that stuff

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #1927
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
costco had them but that kind of stuff comes and goes.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #1928
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
For as long as this thread has been going on and on other threads too, it has been stated that Airstream does not coat the cut edges of the panels and that panels (uncut and coated also) are dragged across the floor at the factory.

Airstream people follow some of these threads and must understand that bad practices increase the possibility of corrosion. But management for years has squeezed every penny out of the production procress and doesn't care. After all, they sell everything they make.

Gene
Old 05-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #1929
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I need some of that clear coat pen stuff for small easy applications - where do you get that stuff
Should be able to get them at automotive places such as NAPA, seems to me I've even seen them at Wally World.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #1930
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Hi there. For those pens, when all else fails you can explore The Amazon:
Dupli-Color NGSF125 Clear Exact-Match Touch-up Top Coat - 0.5 oz.
http://amzn.com/B0049D46QS
Dupli-Color SFSS100 Clear Scratch Seal Pen - 0.4 oz.
http://amzn.com/B0056GUSNM

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #1931
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
The "official" touch-up pen of Airstream.
https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=428
Old 05-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #1932
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Seems pretty odd that they would sell such a thing, since everyone knows there's no corrosion problem with Airstreams. <ducking>