Old 04-09-2014, 01:31 AM   #1877
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I've tried to stay away from this thread but seeing it some much the last several days I decided I would take a look at the most recent comments. When we purchased our trailer new back in 2008 I also thought I had done all of my homework. Only to have a year or so pass and signs of filliform show up did I then learn of the issues the newer trailers were having. We to did a through check when we picked up our trailer. Only later did I notice a couple of items which did not fit perfectly but they were easily fixed by myself. We have had several issues with our trailer and AS has been good to help us get those resolved. Our closest AS dealer is several hours away and AS have always sent me the parts and I've done the installation. Back to the corrosion issues. AS has changed their process over the years and corrosion has become an issue with their trailers. I have seen post on here where some will tell you it's aluminum and filliform just comes along with ownership but that it not completely true. I have owned three aircraft and my current one is 40+ years old. The aluminum on it is much more durable than what my trailer has. What I do now is keep a much closer eye on my trailer for corrosion issues. And when found I address them ASAP. Corrosion X is what I use on my aircraft and I carry on the process to my trailer. We enjoy our trailer. It bothered me at first that we had spent so much money and I had missed the corrosion issues. But I got over it. I try to always make good educated decisions. But even at 58..... sometimes I mess up. I just write it off as a bad one, get over it and move on. Life is just too short and I am not going to worry over this. We love our AS and have plans to do some serious travelling at the end of the year when I will retire :-)

Old 04-13-2014, 05:24 AM   #1878
4 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve & Mary View Post
I've tried to stay away from this thread but seeing it some much the last several days I decided I would take a look at the most recent comments. When we purchased our trailer new back in 2008 I also thought I had done all of my homework. Only to have a year or so pass and signs of filliform show up did I then learn of the issues the newer trailers were having. We to did a through check when we picked up our trailer. Only later did I notice a couple of items which did not fit perfectly but they were easily fixed by myself. We have had several issues with our trailer and AS has been good to help us get those resolved. Our closest AS dealer is several hours away and AS have always sent me the parts and I've done the installation. Back to the corrosion issues. AS has changed their process over the years and corrosion has become an issue with their trailers. I have seen post on here where some will tell you it's aluminum and filliform just comes along with ownership but that it not completely true. I have owned three aircraft and my current one is 40+ years old. The aluminum on it is much more durable than what my trailer has. What I do now is keep a much closer eye on my trailer for corrosion issues. And when found I address them ASAP. Corrosion X is what I use on my aircraft and I carry on the process to my trailer. We enjoy our trailer. It bothered me at first that we had spent so much money and I had missed the corrosion issues. But I got over it. I try to always make good educated decisions. But even at 58..... sometimes I mess up. I just write it off as a bad one, get over it and move on. Life is just too short and I am not going to worry over this. We love our AS and have plans to do some serious travelling at the end of the year when I will retire :-)
You have a good attitude towards this corrosion problem and couldn't have said it better , it's just a shame airstream can't just get it together and make this problem better .

2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #1879
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I bought an inexpensive Sonin moisture detection meter from Amazon and checked it for dampness in the plywood subflooor, which revealed four leaks in the shell.
I'd like to hear more on this. Perhaps some pictures and how you used it to detect the leaks. In a later post you said the leaks were on the shell at awning attachments. How did you trace them from the floor to there?

So we don't hijack this thread, perhaps a reply on a maintenance forum thread would keep everyone happy.

Thanks,

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #1880
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pugetropolis , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Fan may have a point. I wonder if Airstreams in Seattle Washington have filliform problems?
Hmmm, wonder no more. Last Friday I was preparing to take mine in for some service and when I walked around to check the lights just before driving off, I noticed that the rear tail light housings have started to develop it. Nice, a new project to start when I pick it up this week.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 PM   #1881
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin View Post
I'd like to hear more on this. Perhaps some pictures and how you used it to detect the leaks. In a later post you said the leaks were on the shell at awning attachments. How did you trace them from the floor to there?

So we don't hijack this thread, perhaps a reply on a maintenance forum thread would keep everyone happy.

Thanks,

Randy
There's already several threads on it, here's the earliest one.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ter-83258.html

My shell leaks were all directly above the damp plywood, look for exterior fittings/windows under high drainage from the roof (ends of awnings). Loose window latches, pop rivets with unsealed centers or edges, loose door hinges are likely. A Seal-Tec leak test at Airstream confirmed what my moisture meter had found. A thorough Seal-Tec test can run $400, Sonin moisture meter less than $30. Good time to check is after downpour or good rinse with the hose.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 AM   #1882
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Thankyou dkottum for posting the detector thred. Bought mine today... probing this saturday. Sometimes a little hyjack does'nt hurt.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:24 PM   #1883
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Most every Airstream owner that I know has either sold or traded in their trailer and purchased another. It would seem that filiform corrosion would impact resale or trade-in value. Has anyone here had experience with any amount of filiform impacting the value?
Old 04-29-2014, 04:07 PM   #1884
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Good point!
Old 04-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #1885
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
Most every Airstream owner that I know has either sold or traded in their trailer and purchased another. It would seem that filiform corrosion would impact resale or trade-in value. Has anyone here had experience with any amount of filiform impacting the value?
Well I am one who owns a 2005 AS and am at a stage in my life where I would consider trading up to a new AS just to "hopefully" have my last 5-10 years of RV'ing in a relatively trouble free unit.

But as long as AS still have the filiform problem on brand new units (I know it is cosmetic but it would just annoy me too much to see this on a trailer in its first year!), and as long as they still carry on with wooden floors, I guess I'll just be sticking with why I've got and live with a few more mechanical electrical issues now and then as the trailer ages!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #1886
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Well I am one who owns a 2005 AS and am at a stage in my life where I would consider trading up to a new AS just to "hopefully" have my last 5-10 years of RV'ing in a relatively trouble free unit.

But as long as AS still have the filiform problem on brand new units (I know it is cosmetic but it would just annoy me too much to see this on a trailer in its first year!), and as long as they still carry on with wooden floors, I guess I'll just be sticking with why I've got and live with a few more mechanical electrical issues now and then as the trailer ages!

Brian.
Brian, you could use the corrosion prevention and control routines described by many in this thread and enjoy a new Airstream with little concern. On the other hand, in northern winter road salt I've never had a vehicle or trailer that is immune to it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 AM   #1887
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
D, you are correct! Jim
Old 04-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #1888
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Brian, you could use the corrosion prevention and control routines described by many in this thread and enjoy a new Airstream with little concern. On the other hand, in northern winter road salt I've never had a vehicle or trailer that is immune to it.
Can you, in a nut shell, describe what you would do to a brand new Airstream to prevent corrosion.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:08 AM   #1889
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Store it in a climate controlled environment and look at it once in awhile from outside the enclosure?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:51 AM   #1890
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Doug,

True enough, and I might consider that if I were able to keep my trailer at home - and even more so if I had indoor storage.

But as it is, I don't have room on my property in the city and must store it about 30 minutes away for $1000 a year. (Outside storage yard.)

I can only keep it overnight on the street where we live a few nights a year (by permit), which I do when we bring it home to pack, or return from a trip so I really cannot look after it the way would like to - as I do with our other vehicles.

Ive been trying to talk my wife into trading on a B class van and changing our RV lifestyle a bit (i.e. when we want to stay south someplace for an extended time, driving down in the van then renting a condo for a month or so), but she still feels she would not like the B van. I think I would enjoy it, and also I could keep it at home and look after it as I would like to!

Not going to happen I don't think! You know what they say "When mamma ain't happy ......etc!"

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote