Old 01-18-2014, 10:33 PM   #1793
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
I have finished installing the cast pieces on all the marker lights. I removed each one and sanded with 2000 grit sandpaper until I got no more white and the area was smooth. I treated it with Corrosion X, wiped several times and used the clear coat pen to cover the area with clear. When I sealed my lights I used AdSeal on the bases of the cast piece and around the light base that screws to the trailer as well as the screw holes. Then I used Acryl-R around the cast base, the screw down base where it meets the cast base and around the seam of the plastic lens. I wiped everything with alcohol as I was cleaning. I tried to make sure I had a small space at the bottom of each in case water became trapped inside somewhere. As soon as it warms up a little more, I will was the trailer and apply Corrosion X to the seams and rivets. I don't really want to get much Corrosion X inside the seams as I don't want to take a chance on that product affecting the seals between panels. If you look closely you would probably see Acryl-R not perfectly applied but you won't see any pen holes or breaks in the seal.
How did you like working with the AdSeal compared to the Acryl-R? Did not know of the AS recommendation. Easy to use, easy to clean ip, etc? I wouldn't worry about the X and Acryl r. X won't bother the sealant and is only applied to protect any small area of missing clear cost that might be present at the seam areas.

PS.. Pharm, your wife is going to shoot you for putting that corrosion x in the washer.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #1794
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Homosassa , Florida
I liked the as to work with. Easy to use in caulk gun. Clean up easy too. Used ACRYL-R 3 passes with flashlight inspection. I used candle warmer and applied with flat tiny paintbrush.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Airstream Forums mobile app

Old 01-19-2014, 07:26 AM   #1795
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
Several Years and still no definitive answer

Correct me if I'm wrong. Airstreams have had this problem for almost 10 years. (Mine is a 2006) And as far as I know it still occurs on new units.

I've read the frequent comments on this thread and there appears to be many approaches. Yet I've not seen any definitive pronouncement from the company on management of the problem. Yes corrosion X and bioshield is recommended but even after using it for several years I'm not convinced it works.

Further there appears to be no recommended fix for the corrosion from Airstream. I've read about sanding and using clear coat but is this their recommendation? What specific products do they recommend when redoing the clear coat?

We all paid a premium for our Airstreams. I'm surprised and disappointed at their lack of interest. And while we like our Airstream I'm not at all sure I'd recommend it without serious reservations to new buyers.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #1796
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Who has called Airstream directly to discuss this issue, and what did they say?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #1797
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
With so little data - it would be hard to say if it works or not for sure - we have only anecdotal data that seems to suggest it may in some cases help - particularly convincing anecdotes is folks having filiform then applying and vaulting the spread - while other examples untreated keep on going

Have there been many examples where preventative methods have largely failed at prevention or mitigation?

In essence - on what basis do you feel the X doesn't work?

I don't ask because I think you are wrong - rather genuinely curious if other anecdotes say otherwise

Your hesitation to recommend is reasonable enough - I too would hope that AS will address this issue more so - although I knew of it prior so....yeah - I'll be keeping an eye

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #1798
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Silvery Moon - I recall earlier in this thread this was discussed.....

Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #1799
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
""Further there appears to be no recommended fix for the corrosion from Airstream. I've read about sanding and using clear coat but is this their recommendation? What specific products do they recommend when redoing the clear coat? ""

To my knowledge, Airstream officially talks about corrosion repair only in a 6 page instruction, including photos, that covers the full procedure used in "Upgrading 2009 and subsequent trailer teardrop lights with the aluminum castings ( a-la the Classic clearance lights). In these published repair/install procedures, instructions are given to identify any area around the teardrop light base that may need: "attention". The word Filiform or corrosion is not used. The clean up of the areas needing "attention" directs the use of a dremel steel wheel followed by corrosion X or Boeshield and then re-clear coat with the acrylic pen approved for use by the company. With all this however, the instructions apply only to the areas around the clearance light base that has Filiform present but will be hidden after the new "Classic cast bases" are installed. Instructions specify to not attempt repair of any area outside the coverage of the new castings.

There may be another publication about corrosion and or Filiform repair that happens at rivets, seams or just plain old out in the middle of a panel, but I know of none. The above procedure will stop and reseal a Filiform area but no one would use a steel wheel on the skin where it could be seen, and here the company directs nothing outside the newly covered cast base area.

What if the Filiform damage from the original clearance light bases goes beyond the new cast base covered area? Airstream doesn't say--not addressed at all. I would love to see Airstream address skin corrosion as a potential problem and recommendations as to how to minimize or prevent. My guess, this forum is going to continue to be the best owners guide.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #1800
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
A bit of the filiform on the grab handle so far and that is all I've spotted

I've treated all seems and such with corrosion x (I think I made that job messier than I had to) - went to canopener - washed when I got back - so far so good...boeshield T9 underneath and in hitch

I wonder if I should put boeshield on wheels too?
Hi, and a few years back, Airstream started using a rubber gasket between the handle and skin to prevent this problem. [problem not solved]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 PM   #1801
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
To be clear - only some corrosion on the handle itself - none on the clear coat

Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 AM   #1802
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Nowhere , Somewhere
Many pages on this if the search function is used. Interesting info. Jim
Old 01-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #1803
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
Airstream should issue a service bulletin

The only people with broad enough experience to possibly know if their intervention (corrosion x and others) works is Airstream and it's dealers such as they are and for whatever reason they seem to be reticent to take the lead. In the Seattle area our dealer is new, the last one having folded a couple of years ago.

In my experience of one it doesn't seem to matter whether I use corrosion x or not. I have not tried to remove the corrosion. It seems to simply sit there, and perhaps progress minimally over time. I'm not happy with this, as it is unsightly and noticeable on a reasonable look at the unit. But I don't want to undertake a fix that will be sub-standard and make the areas involved more unsightly.

I would like a guide on it's removal and prevention, but my guess is they have legal concerns about acknowledging a problem they've known about for many years. Regardless, it would be helpful to understand this better.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #1804
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagoff View Post
The only people with broad enough experience to possibly know if their intervention (corrosion x and others) works is Airstream and it's dealers such as they are and for whatever reason they seem to be reticent to take the lead. In the Seattle area our dealer is new, the last one having folded a couple of years ago.

In my experience of one it doesn't seem to matter whether I use corrosion x or not. I have not tried to remove the corrosion. It seems to simply sit there, and perhaps progress minimally over time. I'm not happy with this, as it is unsightly and noticeable on a reasonable look at the unit. But I don't want to undertake a fix that will be sub-standard and make the areas involved more unsightly.

I would like a guide on it's removal and prevention, but my guess is they have legal concerns about acknowledging a problem they've known about for many years. Regardless, it would be helpful to understand this better.
You are right on. They are not going to touch this issue further, but I disagree that Airstream and dealers the only ones with broad experience. Filiform is not just an Airstream issue, it's an issue with aluminum that is sealed with a coating of paint or clearcoat. Leave the aluminum bare or anodize it and, no Filiform.

Corrosion x will stop, will not remove. To remove, you must sand the area and that will leave different color skin. I've done so and if you want to see one fix, look at post this thread dated 10-9-13 (or near that date.)

I've called Alcoa several times for help on this, the so called expert engineer on this never returns the call. AS customer service will give a little help on techniques of scraping Filiform webs and applying corrosion x/clear coat pen, but by far the best info dealing with this is posted here. Yes, most posts are questions and complaints, but tried and true answers from owners are posted also. Read them, try them, many work. Or like Gene C. says, move to the desert.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #1805
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
I'll hit the rims with the T9 for sure.

How the hell do I dissolve the X from the microfiber - put in washer with detergent - seeming did nothing
Use an old rag/towel/wash cloth or old t-shirt, etc. and throw it in the trash when done- or throw in in a metal can/bucket for next time-
Don't use a nice new microfiber cloth...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 AM   #1806
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yeah - I assumed (whoops) - the X would simply come out with detergent - oh well

Sucks about this - but from what I have read here - corrosion x seems to halt the growth of the filiform - as such it's the best we got I guess

Took me half a can to treat the entire trailer fairly liberal in those areas

Where can I get a clear coat pen mentioned?