Old 10-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #1723
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Howard,

Are you using one of the aerosol "kits" on your repairs?

I sent them an email and was informed that they don't sell pts, qts or gal to protect their licensed applicators.
I have other projects I'm doing and wanted to give this a try, along with the Diamond Clear.

They were willing to send me a quart...for $109.00.

Bob

I'm a confirmed beginner in just about everything that other folks are expert in....
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #1724
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Howard,

Are you using one of the aerosol "kits" on your repairs?

I sent them an email and was informed that they don't sell pts, qts or gal to protect their licensed applicators.
I have other projects I'm doing and wanted to give this a try, along with the Diamond Clear.

They were willing to send me a quart...for $109.00.

Bob
I did not buy a kit or talk to them about that. The Nyalic quart was available for that $100+ price. I also ordered two 12 oz aerosol spray cans, I think around $30 a can. It goes on very thin and thus goes a long way. I did not try to buy anything but the quart and the spray cans, but no problem with that purchase. For touch up of the corrosion we are dealing with, one spray can of Nyalic would do it all. For the liquid touch up's with a small artist brush, you could just spray a small amount into the lid and dab that on the spot filiform. It's a polymer "polymeric resin'" and dries to touch in 15 min, dry cure in 4 days and full hard cure in 30 days. Lacquer thinner is listed as it's solvent, however I've found that acetone and denatured alcohol, will dissolve the stuff even after 30 days. So we need to be careful and plan ahead if Acryl R or par bond is to be used as Alcohol is the solvent to remove that residue. Mineral spirits, Naphtha, Kerosene all OK. It's ever so slightly shinier than Alcoa clear coat. But, after spraying an area over the Alcoa coat, you have to find just the right surface reflective view to see any difference at all--just not an issue.

I posted some time back about becoming familiar with the product when we coated some old pitted aluminum outriggers on an offshore fishing boat. After 4 years in that constant salt water environment, the riggers looked exactly as they did the day we cleaned them up and painted with Nyalic. Not one spot of advancing corrosion.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #1725
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Wow Howard - impressive match!!

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #1726
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Sanded down the ugly blisters on my battery door frames. While looking at spray paint and clear coat products at the hardware store, it dawned on me. Why not just wax it. I usually wax the trailer twice a year anyway, and wax won't flake off. So hear is the result. I'll let you know in a year or so if it worked lol.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	198482

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #1727
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Worked for me a few years back...I used HB though.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERY DOOR CORROSION REPAIR 007.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	460.4 KB
ID:	198484   Click image for larger version

Name:	AFTER, WITH A LITTLE HELP.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	198485  

I'm a confirmed beginner in just about everything that other folks are expert in....
RLC
Old 10-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #1728
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Ahhhh, great, then wax has held up for two years? How often you wax it?

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 10-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #1729
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

I'll usually touch up the polish job with Griot's metal polish at Spring get-ready and seal with the Griot's Paint Sealer.

First rate products with excellent customer service.

Check out the Mop on a Pole for washing.

Bob

RLC
Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #1730
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
That Griot's stuff works (Bob turned me on to it)—now they have One Step Sealant which I think is a little better than Paint Sealant. You can refresh during the year or more the stuff lasts with Spray on Wax.

Gene
Old 10-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #1731
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
hmmm...im circling now wondering if one step sealant would be better...that has sorta some polishing compound in it too....that wont hurt the AS though would it..

I did get the random orbital sander too...ready to seal my new baby soon

Also got the moisture detector...

Ready go with the boeshield T9...have not yet bought the corrosion X....what is the diff in "HD" vs. not? does it matter which I use?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #1732
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Pharm,

Gene prefers the one step as it has a mild polish along with the sealant.

I use a clay bar,(if needed), wax and then the straight sealant.

I think we both end up in about the same place, I probably sweat more though.

Not sure...corrosion x heavy duty? I have no experience with it.

You may find this interesting.

Bob

RLC
Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #1733
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
interesting review....makes me want to do something else for a trip to the beach...but I am not submerging the AS in salt water so perhaps corrosion X used before and after the trip (including washing etc) will do all that I can....wondering if based on those test results one of those better salt water products would be better for a beach trip...

regarding one step vs. straight up sealant....boy that one step sounds easier - ill have to consider....time for me is a very limited thing

Old 10-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #1734
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
HD may be too thick for use on the shell, hard to wipe up, but you should try it. We're always looking for improved products.

I use CorrosionX on the shell edges, rivets and fittings. Glare polish (as recommend and sold by Airstream Service Center) on the shell, windows, skylights, plastic rock guard, propane cover, and wheels as a UV protector, finish sealant, and polish. Boeshield T9 on the underbody steel. Aerospace 303 Protectant on window seals (UV protection and keeps them from sticking), plastic parts, and sealants.

Works well, no corrosion whatsoever in two years outside, some 14 months traveling. But I have not camped near salt water or driven on winter salt roadways; that may be where "HD" would be useful.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #1735
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
I use Corrosion X HD. See past post (who knows how many pages back). It is thicker and will not wash off. Best bet, use Corrosion x regular first time, especially on your new AS. The second time use the HD. Spray on every seam and rivet. You don't need to let the HD stay on too long, then wipe off with dry rag, will take several rags. A few days later, if you look real close, you will see the very thin residue of the HD in the seams/rivet edges and it will stay there through washings-- exactly what we want.

When you want to touch up the stuff, the regular is fine. And if going to fix a small Filiform, then reseal with clear coat, regular X fine also. The long haul staying power of the HD is what you want in those seams and rivet edges.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 AM   #1736
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
interesting review....makes me want to do something else for a trip to the beach...but I am not submerging the AS in salt water so perhaps corrosion X used before and after the trip (including washing etc) will do all that I can....wondering if based on those test results one of those better salt water products would be better for a beach trip...

regarding one step vs. straight up sealant....boy that one step sounds easier - ill have to consider....time for me is a very limited thing
Don't fret....do something, anything even if others say it's rong.
I've said it a hunnert times, it's not so much what you do, it's that your doing IT. Maintenance is not all that complicated. Find a good routine that works for you and be consistent.

Fillyform's been around for awhile, the World hasn't ended yet.

Bob

RLC

« The 23D thread | Top | - »