Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #2421
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Can anyone certify the aluminum Airstream uses to build these trailers is actually Alcoa aluminum? A factory tour once gave me reason to think not. Alcoa is very proud of their name and appears on their product, in this case the protective film.
Banding on a new shipment I saw did not reveal their name, rather a tag of foreign origin sans the Alcoa name, branding or logo. The cheapest source wins as new owners know. As far as I know, Airstream does not publish country of origin info on any sales lists...
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:33 AM   #2422
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
(Asked about the effects of President Trump's recently imposed tariffs on steel and aluminum, Hansen deflected, saying: "It's too soon to tell." Officials at Pittsburgh-based Alcoa, which supplies aluminum to Airstream, have been critical of the tariffs, arguing for a more global approach to unfair trade from the Chinese.)

https://www.cleveland.com/travel/201..._factor_1.html
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #2423
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Corrosion problems with new Airstreams

As of 2016 Alcoa Inc. is Arconic Inc.

According to their site they still supply aluminum to airstream.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arconic

https://www.arconic.com/global/en/wh.../airstream.asp

For what it is worth my 2017 has spent 2 years of its life so far living in Colorado and there are zero signs of filiform.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #2424
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
I’ve been wiping down the edges of the aluminum on our 2018 with Corrosionex and Fluid Film since new. No issues in 2 years in Michigan.

The plated tail light housings are very lightly pitted. I should’ve sprayed them too. Have since sprayed with corrosionex.

Michigan is a unique environment. Making stuff last here is an art.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:35 PM   #2425
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
As of 2016 Alcoa Inc. is Arconic Inc.

According to their site they still supply aluminum to airstream.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arconic

https://www.arconic.com/global/en/wh.../airstream.asp

For what it is worth my 2017 has spent 2 years of its life so far living in Colorado and there are zero signs of filiform.
The heat treated polymer coating, that is now applied to the AL surface—see www.acronic.com above, is why the coating is holding up so well. “Polymer." It is not quite clear however. There is a pigment mixed in also. Our present day Airstreams (since the AlClad days prior to 1982) are grey alloy. You could polish them shiny and then clear coat, but they would be shiny grey not silver.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #2426
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
Lots or errors in the previous post to correct . . . in no particular order.

Wally Byam died in 1962.

Airstream was then owned by the Board of Directors.

In mid 1966 Airstream became a publically traded company.

Airstream was sold to Beatrice in December 1967.

Airstream was sold to Thor on August 29, 1980.

All Airstreams have been clear coated since 1964.

In the late 1980s (I am thinking about 1988), the clear coat was changed to a more environmentally friendly, but less durable water based formula due to government regulations.

In the very late 1990s or very early 2000s(?) Airstream stopped spraying on the clear coat themselves and transitioned to precoated aluminum and the clear coat durability dramatically improved.

Overall there were both plusses and minuses for Airstream during their periods of Beatrice and Thor ownership. Too big a topic for this post.
Thanks for the corrections on the dates. A board of directors cannot own a company as directors, but may own it as individuals owning stock. Most likely the board had to approve the sale to Beatrice. I think Wally's heirs owned the stock until the sale and was under the impression they did not have the financial resources to keep the company going plus didn't have the marketing skills Wally had. Wally had skills as both an innovator and marketing expert and not a lot of individuals could pull off what he did. I thought the clear coat came later may be confusing that with the change in the late 1980's to the clear coat that pealed over time. I think the earlier clear coats were shinier than the one used for about 20 years. And the aluminum was even shinier without clear coat I thought. A thorough analysis of Airstream's ownership issues would take a book or books.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:14 PM   #2427
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Thanks for the corrections on the dates. A board of directors cannot own a company as directors, but may own it as individuals owning stock. Most likely the board had to approve the sale to Beatrice. I think Wally's heirs owned the stock until the sale and was under the impression they did not have the financial resources to keep the company going plus didn't have the marketing skills Wally had. Wally had skills as both an innovator and marketing expert and not a lot of individuals could pull off what he did. I thought the clear coat came later may be confusing that with the change in the late 1980's to the clear coat that pealed over time. I think the earlier clear coats were shinier than the one used for about 20 years. And the aluminum was even shinier without clear coat I thought. A thorough analysis of Airstream's ownership issues would take a book or books.
Stella Byam sold her shares of Airstream that she inherited from Wally in January 1963 about six months after Wally's death. At that time the newly reformed Airstream was owned by six members of the Board of Directors via stock shares. There were other Directors that did not own stock.

Dale Schwamborn belives the company went public to attract a corporate buyer that ultimately was Beatrice. Beatrice did dump quite a bit of money into Airstream in the early years helping to build new plants, etc. Everything I have heard suggests Beatrice for the most part stayed out of product decisions, like the lightening of frames in the mid-70s as attempts were made to make the trailers easier to tow due to the gas crisis.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #2428
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post

Silvertwinkie, there are active threads now complaining about the same quality issues that you and I and many others were reporting about 10 and 15 years ago. The same complaints started when this Forum was created and apparently there were similar problems before 2004 (isn't that when this started?) But, it does seem corrosion is less of a problem, perhaps thanks to this thread and the suggestions made here. For those seeing this thread for the first time, look for posts made by Bob Cross of Buffalo—he has done well with his solutions to corrosion. And, Silvertwinkie, isn't it time to change that quote from the Times?

I've seen the multiple threads on the quality issues. Just wondering really if owners of the last 5 or so years are still seeing this. I was at an RV show a couple of years ago, and they had a brand new unit at the show and I saw a few spots on it, but my guess is that it may be reduced as I think the factory started to do something about it....just don't know how successful they've been as I've not had my finger on the corrosion pulse for a while.

Yea, I thought about changing it, but it's cute and still kinda works (for me).
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #2429
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Why can't the seems be sealed with clearcoat with something like a touch up brush? If you can cover the exposed edges then the problem should go away.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #2430
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Why can't the seems be sealed with clearcoat with something like a touch up brush? If you can cover the exposed edges then the problem should go away.

Perry

When I was at the factory many moons ago, they got out of clearing due to EPA issues and effectiveness. I do as you suggest with my Safari when I get the occasional small spider leg pop up, but it's not pretty. Luckily for me, it's not too big or noticeable since I nip it in the bud.

Given the issues described over the years here on this forum, some transcending over a decade and even things as simple as forgetting to caulk sometimes, I can't see them coating all the cuts properly, but that's just my opinion....and by the time you realize it got missed, you are either out of warranty or you get the dreaded "it's a maint issue, warranty claim denied." Pretty big gamble with a $100k trailer IMHO.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #2431
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post

Perry
Perry, somewhere back in this thread, I posted to do just that (for the polymer coated Airstreams of the last 20 years). In short, I recommend using the clear polymer coating "Nyalic". Apply to all bare edges with a small artist touch up brush. The edges and rivet holes are the bare metal caused by Airstream construction after the Alcoa Polymer coated sheets arrive. You can’t get to the rivet holes, but a coating of Corrosion X on the edges and rivets from time to time will help also.
Be aware, that even though the edges and rivets are the main filiform demon, it can show up on the sheets also. It’s usually on the end caps. It’s my guess that when the pre coated end caps are formed, the polymer gets stretched and to some degree compromised. A highly corrosive environment can get to those panels also. Polish and corrosion X on those areas will protect also.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #2432
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
Filiform near 30 AMP connection

So, after reading this thread and treating most of my AS accordingly, I found an area that seems to defy the common/accepted explanations for filiform and where it occurs (seams, rivets, chips in clearcoat, marker lights etc). Any ideas as to what's happening here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	filiform.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	369173

Is this an indication of a bad/loose wire in the 30 Amp connector? Trying to figure out what action to take.
coltnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:52 PM   #2433
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Looks like filiform to me. Probably due to something like small rocks or coarse sand being thrown up against the trailer and dinging the clear coat. Our trailer has something like that in a couple of places because of a desert sandstorm.

Tim
Tim A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:03 AM   #2434
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Looks like filiform to me. Probably due to something like small rocks or coarse sand being thrown up against the trailer and dinging the clear coat. Our trailer has something like that in a couple of places because of a desert sandstorm.

Tim
No question that it's ff. I guess I'm wondering if there's significance to where it's occurring. Could a wiring issue be causing it? Should I remove the connector to see what's going on?

Or are you saying that isolated spots like this can happen when the wind picks up? It's a really odd cluster in that one spot.
coltnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #2435
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I don't think it has anything to do with the wiring. Filiform corrosion is simply under the clearcoat originating at locations where that coating has be compromised.

The location near the electrical connection is probably fortuitous. My guess is that gravel from spinning tires, a lawnmower, a weedeater, or some similar source hit that area at some time in the past. Such little dings would remain unnoticed until the filiform starts.

Tim
Tim A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #2436
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
In the thousand years or so this thread has been around, I think at least once it was shown electrical issues cannot cause corrosion on an Airstream. So long as the company is run the same way it has been for decades, corrosion will be a problem. Best to live in a desert and never tow anywhere there is salt on the roads.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:41 AM   #2437
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
Best to live in a desert and never tow anywhere there is salt on the roads.
i agree. I have FF in several places. I believe that it is 1) inevitable, 2)hastened by moisture, 3) compromise can come by way of any physical impact or chemical contact with surface.

I have a place where a tree limb scratched the upper side when I first got the stream. A place that there is about a 4 inch scratch that I thought was just a surface mark. I have filliform there. There are several places in the past few years that I have it bad similar to Coltincat's picture- a spattering of spots. There isn't a lot you can do with things like that. I believe spots can be sanded and paint/coated but unless you are willing to paint panel sections, you accept it as age spots! Oh, and for those reading this that are Airstream wannabes, never fear, while Airstreams may have surface imperfections with age, other trailers delaminate and become moisture laden.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #2438
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Laminates have their own problems, but they can be made well and last. They have far superior insulation. Ours does have some issues and the manufacturer is going to replace side even a couple of years out of warranty. How many RV manufacturers will stand behind their products without a fight?

I remain in the desert even without aluminum.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:48 AM   #2439
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
There is a post and photo somewhere in this thread from years ago of an airstream that was towed through snow and chemically salted roads. It ended up with filiform spots all over the panels. The slightest imperfection in the clear coat will allow filiform if exposed to something as caustic as that trailer went through.

Best advise still is: if you know of a scratch or clear coat damage, touch it up with clear coat of your choice. If camping near salt air, or, heaven forbid, you tow through a mess like listed above, give the thing a Corrosion X bath after a wash job.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #2440
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' International
2020 27' Globetrotter
GREENSBURG , PA
My 2009 only had minimal corrosion with only regular washing and waxing.

I picked up my Globetrotter last December and drove it 450 miles on treated roads. The next day I spent 3 hours washing it in a 38 degree snowstorm. Once moved inside I did the initial Glare Professional Polish+ treatment and have been washing it using Glare Ultra Wash since. Will soon be using the Polish again, but in 10 months, I have zero corrosion. Fingers crossed!
Joe15601 is offline   Reply With Quote