Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #1681
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,082
So the scientific answers are

1.Some trailers get it and some dont. Huh?
2.Smear Corrosion X and Boeshield on it and it should be alright,maybe,I hope. Huh?
3.It is because the clear coat is chipped on the edges from the factory and nothing can be done about that. Huh?

So all the tailight housing corrosion problems,the clearance light corrosion,the door grab handles,the bumper and the corrosion that occurs on wheel opening trim is due to living by the ocean and how you maintain it.Hmmmm

But I have seen these items with corrosion starting on brand new trailers (,and no chipped clearcoat on these items)sitting on dealers lot over a thousand miles from the ocean.
Something does not add up with the filform story fellas sorry is all Im saying.I think there maybe something else in play.

I dont live by the ocean and no one takes better care of their trailer
__________________

__________________
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #1682
Rivet Master
 
John&Vicki's Avatar
 
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 887
Images: 4
Flash...

I'm certainly not a metallurgist, not even a scientist, but I am an empiricist. I read this thread in the spirit of reading a detective novel, an attempt to find out whodunnit. Noted as many clues (data points) as I could and then tried to connect the dots. Here are three off of the top of my head as I don't have access to my notes right now:

Dot 1 - Salt
-------------
Many, not all but many, of those experiencing problems lived near an ocean. Or lived or had driven through areas that used magnesium chloride on the roads. Or lived downwind from a giant salt pile (loved that one).

Dot 2 - Origin of Creep
--------------------------
The creep seems to often start in areas where there is the likelyhood of a raw edge.

Dot 3 - Raw Edges
---------------------
Those who have treated the raw edges with the various products discussed have seen the filiform slow down or stop.

That leads to at least one reasonable hypothesis: raw edges exposed to salt might produce filiform corrosion. But that is only one hypothesis and does not preclude others, such as galvanic corrosion.

I would love to see some testing which might be able to move it from hypothesis to theory. But it's a pretty big challenge for owners with limited resources. I'm sure that Airstream and Alcoa have done plenty of testing, but they will most likely not be sharing it any time soon.

Very interesting puzzle for those of us like me who are just on-lookers. But I'm sure it's really frustrating for owners who have paid up for what they understand to be a superior product - and who maintain their trailers meticulously. I'd be madder than hell.

Poppy
__________________

__________________
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #1683
Rivet Master
 
dkottum's Avatar
 
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 7,598
Moflash, it's not about science to me, I just use what works. Why not?

We also had a 2007 Airstream far, far from the coast; it was new but two years old when we bought it because of a good price. It had significant filiform corrosion. It was delivered to the dealer in winter months (road salt) and sat outdoors on the dealer lot next to a busy highway in winter (more road salt).

We kept it two years, treated the filiform with CorrosionX regularly, and the filiform never advanced a bit.

We bought our 2012 Airstream the week it was delivered to the dealer (late summer delivery), treated it with CorrosionX as soon as we got home and regularly ever since and there is no trace of corrosion after two years. The exception is a tiny spot near a faulty clearance light that Airstream Service replaced with a Classic fixture covering it, treated with CorrosionX, and sealed the light.

It has proven effective to us stopping filiform and preventing it. We have not used the Airstream near the coast yet and would not be surprised to see corrosion if we did. When we lived near the coast any bare metal corroded to some extent. When I spent years aboard Navy aircraft carriers, almost everything metal corroded, but regular maintenance (wash, inspect, fix, and treat) kept things in good shape.

That's why I believe it is an environmental and upkeep thing.
__________________
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #1684
Rivet Master
 
Howard L.'s Avatar
 
2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
Flash...

I'm certainly not a metallurgist, not even a scientist, but I am an empiricist. I read this thread in the spirit of reading a detective novel, an attempt to find out whodunnit. Noted as many clues (data points) as I could and then tried to connect the dots. Here are three off of the top of my head as I don't have access to my notes right now:

Dot 1 - Salt
-------------
Many, not all but many, of those experiencing problems lived near an ocean. Or lived or had driven through areas that used magnesium chloride on the roads. Or lived downwind from a giant salt pile (loved that one).

Dot 2 - Origin of Creep
--------------------------
The creep seems to often start in areas where there is the likelyhood of a raw edge.

Dot 3 - Raw Edges
---------------------
Those who have treated the raw edges with the various products discussed have seen the filiform slow down or stop.

That leads to at least one reasonable hypothesis: raw edges exposed to salt might produce filiform corrosion. But that is only one hypothesis and does not preclude others, such as galvanic corrosion.

I would love to see some testing which might be able to move it from hypothesis to theory. But it's a pretty big challenge for owners with limited resources. I'm sure that Airstream and Alcoa have done plenty of testing, but they will most likely not be sharing it any time soon.

Very interesting puzzle for those of us like me who are just on-lookers. But I'm sure it's really frustrating for owners who have paid up for what they understand to be a superior product - and who maintain their trailers meticulously. I'd be madder than hell.

Poppy
Your dot 2 is right on for much of the filiform. Below is a photo of our 2012 after 3 weeks next to the TX coast. Washed the trailer once home, parked it in covered storage and was greeted to this one month later. The edges are one of the most susceptible areas, but not nearly the only.
I re-clear coated every edge with Nyalic using small artist touch brush and now apply Corrosion X on a regular basis. No new corrosion since.

Thanks Bob for the re- post of corrosion info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-85642042.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	347.2 KB
ID:	196382



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-550278792.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	196383
__________________
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 PM   #1685
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,082
I appreciate your response doug.I now understand why you asses the situation as salt related and environment in your case but I would wager that there are a lot more cases out there than might be imagined with Airstream owners who take care of their trailers and do not live near the ocean or a salt road state such as MN and are still faced with corrosion on their very expensive travel trailer investments.
I think in your particular case it may be to early to tell how much corrosion will show its ugly face your trailer I hope for you the answer is none but I have a feeling in another year that won't be the case.There are just to many cases out there not to look farther than preventative care and salt.I will keep a open mind when someone points me to a new direction
__________________
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #1686
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,239
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Hi, I also think this corrosion thing is a gamble. Admittedly, my trailer a has a little bit of corrosion, but no where near as bad as many other's that I have seen. I live 8.5 miles from the Pacific Ocean, I have camped in beach front camp grounds many times, and I have towed several times in the snow. My trailer gets washed, usually, before a trip, after a trip, and gets hosed off randomly. My trailer has never been waxed.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #1687
Rivet Master
 
Howard L.'s Avatar
 
2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
I appreciate your response doug.I now understand why you asses the situation as salt related and environment in your case but I would wager that there are a lot more cases out there than might be imagined with Airstream owners who take care of their trailers and do not live near the ocean or a salt road state such as MN and are still faced with corrosion on their very expensive travel trailer investments.
I think in your particular case it may be to early to tell how much corrosion will show its ugly face your trailer I hope for you the answer is none but I have a feeling in another year that won't be the case.There are just to many cases out there not to look farther than preventative care and salt.I will keep a open mind when someone points me to a new direction
Moflash, if you look back at the posts of owners who have found filiform and taken up a protective maintenance schedule to stop it, the problem has been stopped. My theory, for what little that is worth, is that there are areas on the AL skin on every trailer that is missing clear coat. It's either skinned off during construction or, a minute pin hole allowed during coating, or maybe, acquired during the molding process of the end caps. Either way, once these areas are treated and corrosion stopped the problem seems to be arrested. Well, at least until the clear coat is damage again.
__________________
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:57 PM   #1688
Rivet Master
 
Howard L.'s Avatar
 
2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 583
Should have added the cast pieces and wheel well trim are a different story. Clear coat on those areas leaves much to be desired. I think they would start to show clear coat failure, to some degree, within a year no matter what. Fortunately they are easy to fix.
__________________
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #1689
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,082
Howard I have read all the post and yes if you read mine you will see that I follow the same regimen as doug and the other members on the forum.And I can see and agree with some of the explanations for some of the corrosion issues.
I am a over the top preventative care person as I wash my truck every day.(it's black)wax my lawn mower every month and even wax my tool box regularly (black also) I have worked very hard to get what I have so I take care of my stuff.
The things I question about this corrosion issue are some of the corrosion that forms on items screwed or bolted to the structure which leads me to believe there is another type of corrosion at play..
I have all the respect for the forum and it's members and enjoy reading the posts and learning new things but I have learned in my life that there is nothing that humans build that can not be fixed or improved upon. Working around Ferrari's and Lamborghini's for all these years have brought my problem solving to a different level than most. I have also learned learned to question everything to check and recheck even the most obvious.And that most of the time the solution or fix was right in front of everyone but no body took the time too ask questions and dig into to the problem.also have learned to have a sense of humor working with Lamborghini tCountach's taught me that as that make a Airstream look like a child's toy in comparison of complexity.
So as long as we ask questions and question the answers given and keep digging and don't lose our sense of humor we can fix this corrosion problem by finding out what is causing it

The only thing I have found that can't be fixed is ignorance
__________________
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:47 PM   #1690
Rivet Master
 
John&Vicki's Avatar
 
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 887
Images: 4
Flash...

That's a great looking rig you have there. The antenna seems awfully tall though.

Poppy
Attached Images
 
__________________
John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:16 AM   #1691
Rivet Master
 
Howard L.'s Avatar
 
2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Howard I have read all the post and yes if you read mine you will see that I follow the same regimen as doug and the other members on the forum.And I can see and agree with some of the explanations for some of the corrosion issues.
I am a over the top preventative care person as I wash my truck every day.(it's black)wax my lawn mower every month and even wax my tool box regularly (black also) I have worked very hard to get what I have so I take care of my stuff.
The things I question about this corrosion issue are some of the corrosion that forms on items screwed or bolted to the structure which leads me to believe there is another type of corrosion at play..

The only thing I have found that can't be fixed is ignorance
And I thought I was over the top just hosing off my lawn mower after each use. Mo, I meant no argument. And I to have a bit of experience with AL corrosion issues on airplanes near salt water and boats in salt and fresh water.

My point was that each trailer seems to have its problem areas (places where the clear coat is compromised)--some quite a bit, others just a few spots. If you are near salt the corrosion will show up sooner. However, once identified and dealt with, new areas of Filiform don't continue to pop up (except possibly under the rivets where preventative corrosion x may or may not get to the drilled holes). Galvanic, metal on metal, has to be watched for always. Drill a hole, put in a new screw, you better prep that area with Never Seize, Corrosion X, etc. and check it from time to time. The clearance light issue was one dumb move, why did they think the curved bases would work just fine pulled down tight to the skin? But now that has a fix in place as does other areas such as placards, door handles, awning support bases, etc with rubber or plastic gaskets to avoid metal to metal contact. So on the bright side, a lot of improvements have been made. Clear coating? Can only hope that's on Thor's need to do better list.
__________________
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #1692
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,082
Please understand Howard I dont think you were being argumentative and I hope I am not coming across that way if it seems that way I apologize.
I enjoy problem solving as I stated.
__________________
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #1693
Rivet Master
 
Moflash's Avatar
 
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
Flash...

That's a great looking rig you have there. The antenna seems awfully tall though.

Poppy
That antenna is tall.Lol Thank you Poppy for the complement I have since traded the red F150 for a Superduty turbo diesel(black of course).
__________________
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #1694
Rivet Master
 
interstateflyer's Avatar
 
2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 844
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Moflash, it's not about science to me, I just use what works. Why not?

We also had a 2007 Airstream far, far from the coast; it was new but two years old when we bought it because of a good price. It had significant filiform corrosion. It was delivered to the dealer in winter months (road salt) and sat outdoors on the dealer lot next to a busy highway in winter (more road salt).

We kept it two years, treated the filiform with CorrosionX regularly, and the filiform never advanced a bit.

We bought our 2012 Airstream the week it was delivered to the dealer (late summer delivery), treated it with CorrosionX as soon as we got home and regularly ever since and there is no trace of corrosion after two years. The exception is a tiny spot near a faulty clearance light that Airstream Service replaced with a Classic fixture covering it, treated with CorrosionX, and sealed the light.

It has proven effective to us stopping filiform and preventing it. We have not used the Airstream near the coast yet and would not be surprised to see corrosion if we did. When we lived near the coast any bare metal corroded to some extent. When I spent years aboard Navy aircraft carriers, almost everything metal corroded, but regular maintenance (wash, inspect, fix, and treat) kept things in good shape.

That's why I believe it is an environmental and upkeep thing.
From your experience, does Corrosion X hold up to normal trailer washings?
__________________

__________________
2017 Airstream International Serenity 25FB
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab Cummins 6.7 Diesel
interstateflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stainless steel corrosion Dave-O Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves 21 04-05-2014 06:30 PM
How did you get into Airstreams & Airstreaming? 83Excella Our Community 102 03-15-2009 09:48 AM
Airstreams in winter?? Curtis-79MH Airstream Motorhome Forums 6 03-27-2006 12:58 PM
Black water problems Rob Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 3 08-31-2002 07:34 PM
Ralph Lauren Vintage Airstreams ($150,000) Andy R General Interior Topics 0 02-22-2002 12:06 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.