Old 09-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #1611
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
My question to Dealer:

"I would be interested in examining the possibility that my new unit if possible would incorporate the classic models' tail light base fixtures.

A few years ago, it became widely known that the flying clouds came without a proper base and the lenses were scratching at the clearcoat...they have since fixed this to some degree with new gaskets that come stock on the flying clouds, but the experience so far is that these retain water inside and that the classic bases do not...is it possible to just go ahead and do this and at what additional cost? perhaps JC could do this "upgrade" for me....let me know...thanks."

Reply from Dealer:

"Mr. Curtis,
Unfortunately Airstream will not be able to approve that change. Any changes of that type must go through engineering and have new diagrams and approval met by the company. This is no easy task.
The Flying Cloud lights, however have gone through a total revamping in 2012. They are now backed with rubber gaskets for a tight fit and waterproof seal. We have had NO problems from our customers since this adjustment. (The Classic lights have back up lights , so the wiring of the trailer would have to be totally done to accommodate those lights.)
If there is anything else I can assist you with, please feel free to contact me. Thank you."

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #1612
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Pharmgeek, you may have confused them by asking for Classic tail lights rather than Classic clearance lights. Or was that your intention?

doug

Old 09-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #1613
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Whoops ! Re sending

Old 09-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #1614
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
My question to Dealer:

"I would be interested in examining the possibility that my new unit if possible would incorporate the classic models' tail light base fixtures.

A few years ago, it became widely known that the flying clouds came without a proper base and the lenses were scratching at the clearcoat...they have since fixed this to some degree with new gaskets that come stock on the flying clouds, but the experience so far is that these retain water inside and that the classic bases do not...is it possible to just go ahead and do this and at what additional cost? perhaps JC could do this "upgrade" for me....let me know...thanks."

Reply from Dealer:

"Mr. Curtis,
Unfortunately Airstream will not be able to approve that change. Any changes of that type must go through engineering and have new diagrams and approval met by the company. This is no easy task.
The Flying Cloud lights, however have gone through a total revamping in 2012. They are now backed with rubber gaskets for a tight fit and waterproof seal. We have had NO problems from our customers since this adjustment. (The Classic lights have back up lights , so the wiring of the trailer would have to be totally done to accommodate those lights.)
If there is anything else I can assist you with, please feel free to contact me. Thank you."
I've got to get off of here, I've way over posted today--wife is about to shoot me. But, here is a classic case where the dealer thinks the hole in the ground is his ass. As you already know from posts here, the Classic base upgrade is nothing more than placing the cast classic base under the existing lights and bases. Unless a light is going to be replaced for condensation problems, the lens is pulled free, the base is unscrewed, the new classic cast base in slid over the lens and old base, light wiring is left alone and the whole thing is screwed back on, lens pressed back in place and all fittings are caulked. My feeling is that the new (better gasket) FC, Int, etc lights will have a potential for water leaks into the light and the trailer itself. They are not caulked. if it were me, I'd either have the new improved gasket lights caulked with Acryl R or buy the Classic bases and have them installed per JC instructions. Call JC, they will send you the repair/Classic base install instructions.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #1615
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post
I've got to get off of here, I've way over posted today--wife is about to shoot me. But, here is a classic case where the dealer thinks the hole in the ground is his ass. As you already know from posts here, the Classic base upgrade is nothing more than placing the cast classic base under the existing lights and bases. Unless a light is going to be replaced for condensation problems, the lens is pulled free, the base is unscrewed, the new classic cast base in slid over the lens and old base, light wiring is left alone and the whole thing is screwed back on, lens pressed back in place and all fittings are caulked. My feeling is that the new (better gasket) FC, Int, etc lights will have a potential for water leaks into the light and the trailer itself. They are not caulked. if it were me, I'd either have the new improved gasket lights caulked with Acryl R or buy the Classic bases and have them installed per JC instructions. Call JC, they will send you the repair/Classic base install instructions.
Just picked our 2012 FC up from the dealer-ODM-yesterday after Airstream sent one light fixture for one that was moisture filled and all 11 Classic castings for the clearance lights. Dealer did a great, by the book, install and they look great! Thanks Airstream and thanks ODM.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #1616
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post

Just picked our 2012 FC up from the dealer-ODM-yesterday after Airstream sent one light fixture for one that was moisture filled and all 11 Classic castings for the clearance lights. Dealer did a great, by the book, install and they look great! Thanks Airstream and thanks ODM.
You had the new gaskets and they leaked?

Old 09-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #1617
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
I asked an old Harley mechanic one time how to seal the turn signals so water wouldn't get in. He replied: Water will always get in, just be sure it can get out! Not sure there's any way to weep hole the clearance lights. I sealed mine with acryl-r but they are 2008 vintage.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #1618
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
La Center , Washington
My 2007 Safari 19 had filiform corrosion on the wheels (nowhere else) when I bought it in 2008 (one year used). Although it does not make complete sense, I bought a 5 pound marine zinc sacrificial anode and bolted it to the frame. My corrosion has not advanced in 5 years.

Stored in an unheated pole barn, on gravel, in humid, drizzly Vancouver, WA.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:34 PM   #1619
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by longdog View Post
My 2007 Safari 19 had filiform corrosion on the wheels (nowhere else) when I bought it in 2008 (one year used). Although it does not make complete sense, I bought a 5 pound marine zinc sacrificial anode and bolted it to the frame. My corrosion has not advanced in 5 years.

Stored in an unheated pole barn, on gravel, in humid, drizzly Vancouver, WA.
Odd - have you had to replace the anode?

Old 09-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #1620
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I see a lot of posts about replacing clearance lights on Flying Clouds with Classic style clearance lights.
Some of my Classic clearance lights have moisture inside the lenses.
Is something that I should be concerned about?
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:37 AM   #1621
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrouper View Post
I asked an old Harley mechanic one time how to seal the turn signals so water wouldn't get in. He replied: Water will always get in, just be sure it can get out! Not sure there's any way to weep hole the clearance lights. I sealed mine with acryl-r but they are 2008 vintage.
Yep....

Our clearance light lens' also have a small notch on the bottom of the pointy end.

Bob

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:26 AM   #1622
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Victoria , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post

Evan:

What Dremel wheel did you use on the handle? I need to attack that issue.
Hi Silverbee,

We are away camping right now :-)

Sorry for the lousy pic but it should help you identify the accessory. It seems to work quite well; not too aggressive but fairly efficient & allows one to feather & control the amount of material you remove.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-139501224.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	195806

Off topic: **I discovered that those little cracks in the caulking around the curved front & rear are significant. The water gathering at the base of the windows wasn't condensation after all....

Two afternoons with the razor knife, acryl-R & masking tape & we're nice & dry now. **

Good luck with the filiform.

- evan
Old 09-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #1623
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Attorneys General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Yep....

Our clearance light lens' also have a small notch on the bottom of the pointy end.

Bob
clearance light lens'?
clearance lights lens?
clearance light lenses?
attorney generals?
attorneys general?

Either way I think I got it. Next time I get on top for maintenance I'll see what I can do. - Brad
Old 09-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #1624
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Dealer installed Classic bases to 2012 30 Flying Cloud clearance lights yesterday. Replaced 5 lights with condensation and one other they pulled the wires from during removal. I had them caulk, with parbond, wires entering the hull and the lens base then replace.with the new castings in place. I did the complete light fixture caulking with Acryl R myself today with the trailer home. A few hours of work, but there are no small bubbles and no areas of missing caulk. They do look nice and doing the caulking myself I' m sure, watertight. Doug, you said your lights retained a small open drain at the base bottom on all side lights and completely sealed the top, concave light bases. I left a quarter inch drain area at the lower edge of all lights. This included the lowest area of the concave top back red lights also. That drain is to the rear, its at the lowest point and would never face oncoming driven rain. Do you think I'm Ok or is there some reason I'm not thinking of that requires the upper lights to be sealed completely?

Another note, I have a complete set of 13 of the new, thicker, 2013 light fix gaskets. They were initially sent for my repair, but I later negotiated the Classic light repair. JC does not want them back. I'll send them to any one who wants to do a "thicker gasket" upgrade. Just drop me a message.

Howard