Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2015, 01:45 AM   #2221
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When the plastic catches break on the doors and cabinet doors, Airstream replaces them with the same cheap product for which they charge over $6 each. The solid brass catches one can order cost less than $2.50 each for a dozen or so and the job is permanently fixed. Airstream did use this particular brass design for the 23D sink cabinet doors, but all the rest are plastic.

If Thor corporate wanted the Airstream to truly be the best, then the details would be done with quality materials that probably would add less than $1,000 to the bill of materials cost.

I hope the new Classics have better flooring than the 23D. The table leg has worn through the linoleum in just 2,000 miles. It was so thin there was only one side to it.

I am putting a brass plate down on the floor as a wear point for the table leg just as I did in the Classic.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 05:18 AM   #2222
2 Rivet Member

2006 Safari SE
Everson , Washington
In case it hasn't occurred to you Airstream really doesn't give a hoot. The current owner is a RV company and as noted previously that industry traditionally has lower quality and safety standards than the automotive industry, even in a so-called hi-end product. Aside from the unique shell which is 1930's technology my 2006 Safari seemed to be slapped together with mid-line to mediocre off the shelf components. Pasted on cabinet trim that came loose in a year; water in the guide lights at delivery, non stainless steels screws in outside lights that rusted the first winter; fabric that literally wore through in two years (only occasional use), door to cabinet that literally fell off while driving on a bumpy road (putting shortish screws into fiber board is not a recipe for durability) and so on.

Regarding filiform I have some that doesn't seem to progress. I'm fortunate I can garage the trailer and don't live in salt air (though it rains here). Airstream's response to the problem, benign neglect which I gather continues today, was to recommend spraying on some oil. That clearly is inadequate but when they can sell their "prestige" stylized product at inflated prices why should they care. And yes it doesn't help when they "redesign" every year or two with the emphasis on look rather than function.

I do like my trailer but it really is a triumph of style over function or durability.
pagoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #2223
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Wink ...not corrosion but,

.......I've more or less gotten past that.

AS used these.....
Only two were aligned properly, all the rest broke.

Even CW can do better.....
$6 a pair.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:54 AM   #2224
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Those brass catches in post #2223 above are available in bulk here:

Extruded Double-Ball Catches - Lee Valley Tools

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 08-16-2015, 11:13 PM   #2225
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Ok Switz & Robert which size matched closely? Time to add a dozen to the tool bag. The one over the sink popped out, which I fixed with sticks and glue. But I forsee trouble with those cheap plastic ones. Robert , I owe you and update on the castings.
Thanks gentlemen.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:04 AM   #2226
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We like the feel of the vinyl flooring in our new 2016 30' Serenity, but I can easily see that the vinyl is very thin and would be easy to tear. For that reason, we opted for a berber rug under our recliners (which we move around a bit) and some runners for the traffic pattern. Hopefully, these additions will keep the vinyl from damage for quite some time to come.

DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:10 AM   #2227
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
I hope the new Classics have better flooring than the 23D. The table leg has worn through the linoleum in just 2,000 miles. It was so thin there was only one side to it.

I am putting a brass plate down on the floor as a wear point for the table leg just as I did in the Classic.
The new Classics have some sort of a woven fabric flooring that I didn't care for at all. It seemed that if anything was spilled on it, getting the gunk (and dirt) out of it would be very difficult.

Thanks for the comment about putting a brass plate under the dinette leg!
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 02:07 AM   #2228
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
We replaced the 2014 Classic flooring since it was wrinkling with Marmoleum which is about an 1/8" thick with the color and pattern throughout. So a scratch just does not show. It also brightened the interior.

Note that this was the second flooring in our Classic as initially the factory installed the wrong one and had to replace it while on the assembly line. Upon close inspection with the interior out during the modifications, I do not think it was installed as well as the original flooring.

Marmoleum Vivace

We are in the process of installing the same product with a different color in the 23D since that Airstream installed flooring is already damaged and we have not even used the trailer. It is showing marks from just the tiny stones caught in the shoe soles and putting some tools on the floor. Our trailer is being heavily modified, so while some of the cabinetry is out is the best time to swap flooring materials. The new flooring will also brighten the 23D interior as well.

From what I could see, the 2015 flooring is even thinner than the 2014 flooring. With the 2015 price increase, one would expect better instead of inferior flooring material.

This Marmoleum flooring is definitely expensive, but should last the life of the trailer or at least our lifetime using the trailer.

Back on topic, the corrosion of the galvanized parts of the furnace and water heater is pretty amazing along with the rusted steel screw heads and step. The trailer was on Colonial's lot about 8 months and the salt air played havoc.

The water heater corrosion will not be an issue as it is being replaced with a Truma instant on water heater which takes 50 pounds of water weight off the trailer (six gallons of water in the storage tank).

Old 08-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #2229
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
I hate bashing AS, I really do. But until they get their quality control act together, they deserve it. It's all about making as much money as possible on an iconic brand name. Good for you Airstream, reel 'em in. My 2007 classic does have corrosion, but I have learned to not let it bother me. After all, its not that hard to sand and clear coat the small spots I have.

Now I have had 8 years to fix and enhance the trailer, I have seen first hand how poor the quality of the parts AS uses really is. That does bothers me. I keep replacing low quality parts with higher quality. I guess that is the game you play when you buy Airsteam's top of the line trailer.

What really made me sick was when my lower belt trim started falling off my trailer after about 6 years. I saw it dragging on the road out my side-view mirror. Duct tape save the day. When I got home and looked at the problem, I was shocked at what I found. The beautiful aluminum track the belt fits into does not pinch or secure the belt in any manner. What holds the belt in the track, is a sticky surface on the back of the rubber belt. Sure enough, if you buy a replacement belt trim from Airstream, it comes with a paper backing that is pulled off to expose a sticky surface. The aluminum track does not grip the belt at all. This is not only the use of very cheap material, but also a very poor design idea (that got approved by a committee I'm sure). That glue is exposed to the elements and is not going to last. I thought to myself, why repair it the same way if it will only last six years.

After pulling the entire belt out of the track, I noticed RUSTED sheet metal screws holding the aluminum track to the trailer. Yes, unbelievable that the track was screwed using steel instead of stainless steel screws. After seeing this, I really started feeling ashamed I believed the AirStream hype about how good their quality is compared to other trailers. Gee maybe it was a fluke, a bad day, and only my trailer is like this. After seeing Airstream's design and implementation of the lower belt trim, I totally lost faith and trust in the company.

I replaced all the steel screws with stainless, and used stainless screws and washers to hold the belt on. All is good now until I find the next problem.
Attached Images

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 08-19-2015, 11:21 AM   #2230
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
I hate bashing AS, I really do. But until they get their quality control act together, they deserve it. It's all about making as much money as possible on an iconic brand name. Good for you Airstream, reel 'em in. My 2007 classic does have corrosion, but I have learned to not let it bother me. After all, its not that hard to sand and clear coat the small spots I have.

Now I have had 8 years to fix and enhance the trailer, I have seen first hand how poor the quality of the parts AS uses really is. That does bothers me. I keep replacing low quality parts with higher quality. I guess that is the game you play when you buy Airsteam's top of the line trailer.

What really made me sick was when my lower belt trim started falling off my trailer after about 6 years. I saw it dragging on the road out my side-view mirror. Duct tape save the day. When I got home and looked at the problem, I was shocked at what I found. The beautiful aluminum track the belt fits into does not pinch or secure the belt in any manner. What holds the belt in the track, is a sticky surface on the back of the rubber belt. Sure enough, if you buy a replacement belt trim from Airstream, it comes with a paper backing that is pulled off to expose a sticky surface. The aluminum track does not grip the belt at all. This is not only the use of very cheap material, but also a very poor design idea (that got approved by a committee I'm sure). That glue is exposed to the elements and is not going to last. I thought to myself, why repair it the same way if it will only last six years.

After pulling the entire belt out of the track, I noticed RUSTED sheet metal screws holding the aluminum track to the trailer. Yes, unbelievable that the track was screwed using steel instead of stainless steel screws. After seeing this, I really started feeling ashamed I believed the AirStream hype about how good their quality is compared to other trailers. Gee maybe it was a fluke, a bad day, and only my trailer is like this. After seeing Airstream's design and implementation of the lower belt trim, I totally lost faith and trust in the company.

I replaced all the steel screws with stainless, and used stainless screws and washers to hold the belt on. All is good now until I find the next problem.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f474...ml#post1477515

INFO for when you fix it again.
Howard.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:48 PM   #2231
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Omg - the latches!!! All our drawers over time eventually came a timbling out and now they will have to repair them all

Actually I like how well they functioned when parked - almost like soft close drawers - I did some brass ones and ended up hating how stuff they are to use for regular operation

I'm going back to he plastics and installing a couple small anchor points for a couple bungees during travel - probably will sue an installed wall beer opener as an anchor point

We are 2 years in and overall could not be happier - minus the running list of cheap crap that has broke

No filiform so far on skin - a bit on the grab handle I think

Doing annual application of corrosion x - will do twice a year soon too. Live in central Alabama - go to beach at least twice per year

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:04 PM   #2232
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Pharm, good job. Keep up the regular CorrosionX treatment. We are now four years in with our FC and no corrosion anywhere on the shell or underbody steel using the product quarterly.

Latches. We have never had a drawer open while traveling many trips throughout the country, coast to coast and border to border. In 24 months total living in our Airstream we have not had a latch break or come loose. I see these happen and wonder if maybe the running gear could be out of balance, as suggested many times by Inland Andy from Inland RV. In some cases maybe too stiff w.d. bars for the tow vehicle; Andy claims the heavier duty the truck suspension, the lighter w.d. bars should be used, and those should be a tapered style bar.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:51 PM   #2233
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Guess I'm not the luckiest. Just had a new filiform show up. Was at a vertical seam right behind the stowed Zip Dee awning bar up front by the door on the 30 FC. It was not on the outer overlapping sheet, but from under that and spreading out on the sheet that was the under piece of aluminum. Was big enough that I wanted it gone and buffed it off then re-clearcoated. I didn't spend the time to touch up with the silver spray paint, so it shows the different color gray look. About nickel size, not too bad, but still pisses me off. This may have started on the under-sheet of AL at the rivet. I don't think my Corrosion X and polish work was effective there since it probably could not find a way through the rivet to behind the overlaping top side panel.

Must say also, don't understand latches and open drawers either. i run 80psi in my E ST tires, tow with the 2500 chevy and an equalizer with the 1000# bars. Nothing ever moves in the trailer except the recliners swivel around. I will say, I do not have much pressure on the hitch bars as the 3/4 ton truck will handle the weight and tow the trailer just fine on a plain 2 5/16 ball. I only move the trailer around town--to and from storage--like that, but with or without the equalizer, nothing in the trailer moves.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:56 PM   #2234
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Stanardsville , Virginia
I know all these little durability problems exist but I still love working on our As and get far more pleasure out of her than aggravation. My Shasta was a lot smaller, really delicate and required far more work. With the help of the forum, some day she will be 100%, but right now I really enjoy working it!
madpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #2235
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
Ok Switz & Robert which size matched closely? Time to add a dozen to the tool bag. The one over the sink popped out, which I fixed with sticks and glue. But I forsee trouble with those cheap plastic ones. Robert , I owe you and update on the castings.
Thanks gentlemen.
DT,

Sorry for the delay.....

I used the 2" latch.

This procedure made the install easier.

Bob
Old 08-21-2015, 12:04 AM   #2236
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Thanks Robert. The information is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:35 AM   #2237
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

DT,

Your very welcome....

Bob
Old 08-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #2238
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
That's it you know!
Old 09-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #2239
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Anyone seen/know of a trailer that has a large amount of filliform? Since it's pretty much just cosmetic, I wonder if anyone out there has just "let it go".
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 04:41 AM   #2240
3 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
ROSWELL , Georgia
I have a dozen spots,none bigger than your hand.I haven't tried to repair but one of them,as the repair looks worse than the damage.Airsteam techs say they are unaware of this being a problem,not saying there isn't a problem.I guess Filiform damage is thought of like the '90 GM cars that had the clear coat problem;consumers won't bother sueing after years later,when the problem gets worse.Sad that Airstream is too big to challenge for their technological mistake.
Mike & Nancy Gore WBCCI #2914 S E Camping Unit 012 Roswell,Ga.
mikesSE is offline   Reply With Quote