Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #1387
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L. View Post

Hi Doug aka all you corrosion experts out there. Talked to Airstream again yesterday, asked for Classic style lights. Reply, "send a email asking and let me see if I can get those for you". So will keep you informed as to whether I get the larger gaskets, Classic lights, or both. I did just ask for the lights and would put them on myself, saving them the service charge from dealer. Would like to keep it away from the dealer as much as possible as they keep the trailer forever and it always comes back with a new dent in it somewhere. Thanks for the info on this Doug.
Howard - did you talk with anyone in particular? Thx

Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #1388
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I sent an email to Airstream yesterday about our 2012 International purchased in August of 2012. This is the reply I got:

Debbie,

Hello, We have the same light but have a casting that can be put on around the running light after treating the area to help cover it. If you would like to take your trailer to one of our dealers I will help by sending the casting to them and a paper on how to treat the areas. Let me know which dealer you would like to take your trailer.

1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #1389
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Howard - did you talk with anyone in particular? Thx
I've been dealing with a couple of reps. Let me get a reply and I'll send you all the info and results. I sent them photos of the double problem, as Doug called it, leaking lights and the filiform issue. Asked for the Classic lights to solve them both, did not want water filled LEDs even if bases no longer caused damage as would be the fix they offered Debbie.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #1390
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Good to hear they are working with you; try to get the Classic lights if you can as they do solve both issues.

doug k
Old 07-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #1391
1 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Eugene , Oregon
I got my marker light corrosion issue taken care of. Talked with my dealer service tech and he said AS has been standing behind the repairs that needed fixed. I then called JC customer service and they said they would send the parts, New classic covers, to the dealer of my choice and work would be done at no expense to me. Parts came in, set up an appointment, they had the trailer for 1 day and the finished result was excellent. Corrosion sanded, treated with corrosion x, re clearcoated, new fixtures, and everything sealed up nice. Thank you George M. Sutton Service for your work. It is top notch.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #1392
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Kingfish, good to hear. They replaced mine at the Service Center in Jackson Center. Very pleased with the new fixtures.

Anyone with a 2011 or early 2012 model ought to watch for this problem, and take care of it.

doug k
Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #1393
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Can someone post pics of the classic light assemblies?
Old 07-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #1394
DMT
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Same issue with my 2011. Airstream sent me the castings, sealant, clear coat pen and instructions for installation. Seems to do a decent job, but you have to be careful removing the LED lights. We must have stretched the wires too much as after all was complete two lights no longer work. Haven't gotten around to fixing that yet.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:14 AM   #1395
Rivet Master

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Chesterfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNecro View Post
Can someone post pics of the classic light assemblies?
The guys from The factory came into St Louis to do mine. They were working at the local dealer. I will take a picture of the new light assemblies and get it posted. They do look nice.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:09 PM   #1396
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
just returned from the factory, they said to do what has been said on this form and that is all, no mention of replacement of lights.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:24 PM   #1397
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc6452 View Post
just returned from the factory, they said to do what has been said on this form and that is all, no mention of replacement of lights.
Typical.... 2yr, out of warranty, JC statement.
Kind'a glad I have the old style incan, no problem with filiform, just took some time stopping the leaks.
Too much to ask to have no leaks and no corrosion.

Bob

New inner-tube lens gasket and an O-ring around the screw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07906.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	191202   Click image for larger version

Name:	SEALING THE TEARDROPS 004.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	191203  

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #1398
4 Rivet Member

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
The corrosion at every marker light suddenly appeared on our 2011 FC23FB within six weeks of my last polishing. This trailer is 27 months old and has been washed with ArmorAll products after every use, and polished with NuFinish twice per year. It is normally stored under cover in very low humidity in Colorado, but did spend five months at the Gulf Coast this year. The skin looks great, but there is the corrosion at the leading and trailing edges of each marker light. Upon my request, Airstream has offered a 'goodwill' clearcoat repair and replacement with the Classic castings by my dealer. That's good (except for the 500 mile roundtrip to the dealer) but I really want to understand the cause of this corrosion. If it was my sailboat I would say electrolysis, but I don't see that process with the trailer. Is this aluminum skin really so vulnerable to corrosion? What resonable care will prevent such?
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:51 AM   #1399
DMT
3 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
The problem is not galvanic corrosion. Google "filiform corrosion".
Old 07-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #1400
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
The corrosion at every marker light suddenly appeared on our 2011 FC23FB within six weeks of my last polishing. This trailer is 27 months old and has been washed with ArmorAll products after every use, and polished with NuFinish twice per year. It is normally stored under cover in very low humidity in Colorado, but did spend five months at the Gulf Coast this year. The skin looks great, but there is the corrosion at the leading and trailing edges of each marker light. Upon my request, Airstream has offered a 'goodwill' clearcoat repair and replacement with the Classic castings by my dealer. That's good (except for the 500 mile roundtrip to the dealer) but I really want to understand the cause of this corrosion. If it was my sailboat I would say electrolysis, but I don't see that process with the trailer. Is this aluminum skin really so vulnerable to corrosion? What resonable care will prevent such?
Here is a pretty good description, (the far left column lists the different forms of corrosion).

Bob

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote