Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-18-2007, 04:29 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Corner beds - are they really that bad?

Hello Streamers!

MY DW and I are seriously considering trading "down" to a 2001 Safari 25 SS from a 30 foot SOB that has a full-sized walk-around queen bed. The 25 SS model otherwise provides an ideal compromise in that it will accommodate my DW and I and our two teenage kids (when they decide to come along - which is becoming less frequent now that they have their own interests).

But we're concerned about the size/comfort of the corner bed. I know they're harder to make, but that doesn't bother us. Of course it's a person thing, but it seems that almost all of the 25 footers being sold these days are sold with queen or twin beds. BTW, my DW and I are no longer newlyweds, so when we go to bed it's because we're tired and need a good nights sleep!

I guess I'd like to read about not-so-young couples that don't mind the corner beds, or even like them! Or is this just wishful thinking?

BTW I'm 6'1" and my DW is 5' even, if that helps.

TIA!
Gary
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 04:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
We don't mind the corner bed in our 19' Bambi. The shorter person will need to sleep on the inside, though, up against the wall so the taller person's feet can hang off the end of the bed. Plus you need to work out who crawls over whom and when based on who gets up first or goes to bed first and what position in the bed they sleep in (i.e., inside or outside).

It is manageable for us.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
We like our corner bed in our 25 ft Excella. It's a full size and the "aisle" between the bed and the dresser drawers is really handy... plus it gives a lot of visual length to the trailer!

Phil even rigged up an "extension" when we were traveling with our daughter and extra pets from FL to CO. We put a 4'x4' sheet of 3/8 inch smooth pressed board under the mattress. When it's time for bed, we can slide it out and it fits snugly on top of the top dresser drawers. I can then put our extra pillows down and we have an almost king sized bed (for 4 feet anyway!^_^) Works like a charm since I always carry too many pillows!

Phil & Edee
Old 10-18-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
We had a 22' International (not CCD), with a corner bed. Was a real hassle for the 2 of us... as mentioned, who sleeps on the inside (based primarily on who gets up the most during the night...). Then, the trouble with making the bed, making sure the sheets were tucked in, etc., etc. Also, whoever was on the inside had to make due with a shorter length...

At first, we didn't think it would be a real problem... something we could live with... so we ended up trading up to a 30', queen bed and love it. Much easier all the way around. Thought about the twins (especially with the DW throwing the covers off at night during a melt-down), but the times in between are too good...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
We had an 04/16'CCD bambi and while not a corner bed, across the entire back,it had the same design characteristics, that being basicly one way in one way out and someone sleeping against an outside wall. We thought this would be no problem but came to dislike it for the same reasons most here did. Having to climb over someone if you sleep on the inside, difficulty making the bed and changing bed cloths, and for me who slept on the wall side, the cold off the wall was uncomfortable. That said, the smaller the trailer the more trade off's one usually has to make. What was uncomfortable for us may not be a problem for others.----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
We had a 25' SS and traded for a 27' FB
One of the reasons for the trade was the corner bed...really only roomy enough for 1 1/2 people! Make sure you're ok with the bathroom. The toilet IS A joke! Try sitting on the can with the door closed and you'll see what I mean. Go with the 25 or 27 FB...you won't be sorry.
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
One of the reasons for the trade was the corner bed...really only roomy enough for 1 1/2 people! Make sure you're ok with the bathroom. The toilet IS A joke! Try sitting on the can with the door closed and you'll see what I mean. Go with the 25 or 27 FB...you won't be sorry.

I agree with every point made in the above post.

Traded in our corner bed for a 25 FB.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
We just returned from a 2 week trip with our 19' CCD which has the corner bed. Jerry is 6'4' and slept on the "short" side. I am 5'1' and slept on the "long" side due to recent knee surgery. We did fine. You have to adjust to it, but it worked. Jerry was able to get out of bed without disturbing me very much.

That being said, I came home and ordered the Airstream bottom sheets so that we don't have it coming off every night. I think the hardest part is making the bed neatly. Harder yet with my new knees. It is also much more comfy when the trailer is dead level--but that would be true on any bed. You don't have to sleep with your brakes on. And, last, watch bare skin on the walls in cold weather--touching the wall--that'll wake you up!

If it turns out that we will be out for longer periods or full timing, I will want a walk around bed. But for weekends, short trips, one can get a good night's sleep on the corner bed.

Good luck.
Caryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
I too agree with all of the points made in this post.
We had a 25' Safari. The bed is do-able but was a pain at times due to mild chlostrophobia on my wife's part, it is difficult to make from the small floor area available. I agree that the toilet area is a joke. I had to pull the room divider and leave the bathroom door open to fit. Just not enough room.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:57 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
2008 27' International FB
Sonoma , California
We also agree that the corner bed is not so great. We just took delivery of a 27FB to replace our 23. The bed was a non-starter; the bathroom sealed the deal...
ramblin rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We have used our 2002 19' Bambi for at least a full month every year and have no problem with the corner bed. We are not short people (I still say I am 6'1" even if age-related shrinkage has probably reduced that), but thin. I sleep on the outside wall side and have more than enough room. We have insulated that wall with fleece and polyester fill (removable) because, as someone mentioned, it gets cold if outside temperatures are low.

I probably should not mention my sheet changing method, but... Put fitted bottom sheet around mattress, lift mattress and move self underneath, yank outside-wall side of sheet under mattress, climb out from under mattress, and then proceed "normally." I have gotten so used to it that it seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. My wife sometimes watches the procedure, but not so often. Once that sheet is on, everything else is quite straightforward.
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:15 AM   #12
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Trading UP

We are the proud owners of a Safari 25SS. We spent five years researching floorplans and models before we bought this particular model. Guess what, second trip out - what the heck are we doing with this. Habitually I sleep on the left side of my wife, hence I get in the inside of the corner bed. Guess what, I get up through the night and also I am the early riser. Makes for one unhappy spouse!

The bathroom too is totally non-functional for anyone taller than about 5'6".

The solution - we are currently in the process of determining which 28 foot model to get - Safari, Safari SE, International, or Classic. Hopefully it won't take five years!!
Old 10-19-2007, 08:30 AM   #13
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
We have a corner bed in our little Caravel, and it works great for us. I'm always the one who sleeps on the inside, but the bonus with that is it's easier for the person sleeping on the outside to get up and make the coffee first thing in the morning.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
I probably should not mention my sheet changing method, but... Put fitted bottom sheet around mattress, lift mattress and move self underneath, yank outside-wall side of sheet under mattress, climb out from under mattress, and then proceed "normally." I have gotten so used to it that it seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. My wife sometimes watches the procedure, but not so often. Once that sheet is on, everything else is quite straightforward.
Wow.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 10:59 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ditto/Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
I agree with every point made in the above post.

Traded in our corner bed for a 25 FB.
The 25 FB or better yet the 27 FB! You'll love it!

Paula
Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Other method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A.
CUTE - I however replaced the mattress in my 22 CCD with an expensive HEAVY innerspring one. I rigged a nylon strap that runs under the mattress and attaches to the front of the plywood under the mattress. It has three feet to spare at the back. I grab the strap, pull the mattress upright, put the fitted sheet on the far side, drop the mattress and proceed normally. I leave everything else untucked from personal preference... my tootsies like freedom. I can even turn the mattress over side to side because I had it made with both sides curved (when I want to turn it end to end - I put my head in the opposite direction.... it's just easier.)

On my 25footer when I replaced the mattress I went with 7" foam - much lighter.

Paula
Old 10-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Why is Airstream making the 25SS or anything with a corner bed.....marketing ploy so you buy two trailers?
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
I however replaced the mattress in my 22 CCD with an expensive HEAVY innerspring one.

Paula
Paula,

Our Bambi came with a heavy innerspring mattress. Maybe that is why my wife lets me do this procedure. Your method sounds, however, better than mine. I will have to go out and look to see if I can duplicate it in our trailer!

Tim
Old 10-19-2007, 03:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Nylon Strapping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A.
Paula,

Our Bambi came with a heavy innerspring mattress. Maybe that is why my wife lets me do this procedure. Your method sounds, however, better than mine. I will have to go out and look to see if I can duplicate it in our trailer!

Tim
You can buy nylon strapping by the foot at Handcock fabrics, or if you know a good junkyard, just cut out a passenger seatbelt (used less than the driver's). I think I used about 8 to 10 feet. Only problem was anchoring it to the plywood. Ended up using three screws to get it really tight. On the grabbing end I made a loop with a diameter of about six inches, so I could hold it easily. Nylon strapping won't go through any home machine so your options are to take it to a shoe repair place and have them sew it down ("x" and "box" pattern) or do it by hand using waxed dental floss. If you choose to do it by hand use a piece of leather to push and pull the needle... and take aspirin afterwards for the pain. I couldn't make the finger for three days!

Paula
Old 10-19-2007, 03:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Paula,

Your description makes it easy to copy what you did. The sewing is not a problem. We have a sewing machine which will sew through anything with ease. And never let them tell you a man should not use a sewing machine. It is a powertool!

Tim