Old 10-30-2007, 07:52 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
2011 30' Classic
Kingwood , Texas
We recently purchased a 2000 25 SS and have used it several times. The comments are accurate. The bed is hard to make and one has to crawl over the other. The bathroom offers little knee room.

For us the bed is acceptable and we make due with the limited knee room.

On the plus side is the layout and the ability to sleep 6 (or more realistically 4). We use the dinette often and find it on the must list for the dream AS. The 2 closets are a plus and the storage is adequate. The shower is very adequate. It tows well.

Any AS model will have plusses and minuses. You have made a wise purchase and you, as we are, will learn a lot about what you like and don't like as you think about our dream AS.

extiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:33 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member
2008 25' International CCD
St. Pete Beach , Florida
We have the 25 FB and really love it. Before we purchased our 25, we fell in love with almost every size. The Bambi's are so cute, and perfect for towing around. The 23 gave each of our kids their own bed (a big plus, we decided). But, the 23 still had the corner bed. The 25 FB gave us that extra "walk around" space that makes everything just a little easier. We have two kids, so the 25 FB also provides just a little bit more privacy when needed. The 27 was more thn we wanted to spend or travel in. Someone gave us good advice and told us that before we purchase our AS, get in and picture your daily tasks and how it feels to move around in there. We spent a lot of time visualizing how we wanted to use the trailer and in the end I think that really helped. Another thing that really meant a lot to us was the direction of the layout. We like to camp in beautiful places (I know, who doesn't) and with the 25 FB, the dinette is in the back. If we are backing into a great campsite with a view, we can sit at our dinette and really enjoy it. With the 23, we were looking at the back of the truck. The 25 FB was more than we wanted to spend, but in the end, I'm thinking we have a lot of great years to enjoy it.
Good Luck.

salvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Warning Do Not Try This At Home

Big Wheel and I doubled up in the corner bed of the 23' last night. Well is it considered "doubling" up when you also add a German Shepherd and a lab/border collie mix or would that be "quadrupling" up? Having read on this forum of sleeping head to toe for more room, I thought I would give it a try. All I can say is those stunts were performed by specially skilled individuals and should never be attempted at home. Again sleeping is not the problem, is is waking up that begins all manner of complex problem solving. I awoke and had to use the (ahem) powder room...not so fast or so easily accomplished...noooooo. From the inside of the bed with my feet at the curve I had to complete an svelt 180 degree turn in my allotted narrow band of the bed which I am convinced would rival any of Houdini's challenges even if I had been fully awake and it was not pitch black. Eurika... I got my feet heading out the outside space but only then to discover the kitty litter tray placement. A quick half step averted near disaster but left my arms flailing about the air and pushing off walls for balance and looking for the light switch. Another sharp turn and a step back to open the door and a flick of a switch and the entire bedroom and bathroom area was jointly aglow in 3200 K hallogen lighting. On the way out I opted for the more easily negotiated front lounge and wrapped up in the doggie blanket, grabbing a designer toss pillow for my head. Golden slumbers and to all a good night.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:33 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member
2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
LOL - that's a pretty funny description Carol. I hope our experience with the corner bed isn't quite as "adventurous" as yours! We're also going to try sleeping in the reverse position next time (we've only had one night in our Safari - impatiently waiting for Spring now). At least we always have the sofa to fall back on if things get rough.

BTW, I love your avatar!

Gary & Debbie
2001 Safari 25 SS
2011 Chevy Traverse 3.6L AWD Hensley DirecLink McKesh
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:39 AM   #33
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've had this corner bed/bathroom in this talked about config now since 2003. It's not for everyone. All the issues that have been brought up are true. You try it and either accept it and can use it or not. As has been indicated, there are pitfalls to nearly every model. Some folks say 18 gallons of black tank are not enough. I must not be full of S**T, cause in over a week, I've never filled it with two other people with me.

Some of the plusses of the 25' SS is that it's a great towing RV. It's widebody, yet can be manuvered into many tighter spots some of the bigger ones would have a tough time doing. Compared to some of the smaller Airstreams, the 25 SS gets both dinette and couch. There are two types of folks, those who love dinettes and those who don't. Same holds true for the couch. I love the dinette and wasn't too sure how I'd like the couch......I'll never have an RV without both again. Storage. There is just plain lots of it and lots of it everywhere.

But try one. Go to an RV show and look at one, climb into the bed, get a feel for it. Once you buy it, it's yours and though you could sell it, IMHO, it's never a bad idea to see one before you buy one.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #34
Rivet Master
2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
We were all set to order a 25' SS SE but switched to the 28'.

Why? It was all because of the corner bed and all of the issues discussed here.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Key Biscayne , Florida
With respect to the problem of how to make the bed, I'd like to offer a simpler solution...Don't make the bed! You're on vacation. So what if the trailer looks a bit messy? Use the extra time to do whatever you really lucky people get to do in your Airstreams.

Can you tell I'm more than a bit jealous of folks who get to spend of material amount of time on vacation?
Bonzai30b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member
2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
My first Airstream (21' Sovereign) had the corner bed, and my present 16' CCD has the full bed across the back. Both configurations compromise the sleeping arrangement, but the 16' has more total space for sleeping.

It all has to do with expectations! For years we were backpackers and eventually into pickup truck camping, and any Airstream is total luxury compared to those! But if your expectation for a trailer is more along the lines of a 'home away from home', a more normal bed is the way to go.

A side note - we discovered a double sleeping bag deal (called a Trav Sak, there are other brands too) that solved the bed making problem. It zips together, and has special sheets that velcro around the edges to stay put. So making the bed is pretty much just shaking it out and straighten it up (a little). Good for a week camping trip, then take the sheets out to launder when we get home. If I had my way we would use it in the house as well!
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #37
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Another factor is that the doubles and queens are smaller than the ones we buy for home. We have a king at home and are both tall—best size for us. We've slept in doubles in motels and felt cramped, feet hanging off the end. Even the Safari 25 FB queen is shorter than normal. We looked for the shortest trailer with a queen bed and selected the Safari 25' FB. We put 2" memory foam mattress on top of the Airstream one and that makes it longer, though it sags at the end and the sheets don't stay in well. But my feet aren't hanging off.

We tried the bathroom on the double bed models and the door won't open all the way because it hits the bed and we had to exit sideways. Sitting on the toilet resulted in our knees jammed against the door. Even the 25' toilet is small if you have wide shoulders, but is doable.

As for twin beds, we're not young anymore, but still liking it together.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote