Old 03-07-2007, 07:40 AM   #15
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
The length limits in state parks all seem to be in California that I've heard anything about. I've never had that issue in Texas, New Mexico, Wyoming or Colorado.
GStephens

Old 03-07-2007, 08:01 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
The length limits in state parks all seem to be in California that I've heard anything about. I've never had that issue in Texas, New Mexico, Wyoming or Colorado.
A number of east coast parks have the same 25' limit for some or all of their sites. In a few weeks I'll be at a state park beach site in South Carolina that was 25' limited.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
First, thanks again to you all for your observations. I see I still have a lot to learn.

Based on some responses here, I did some more checking about towing over snow and ice. Looks like my "ski chalet" idea isn't so "cool." I will do more reading up on that, but if it doesn't work its not a deal breaker for me (but definitely a disappointment).

I also appreciate the state/fed park observation. I do intend to do use those parks, and that would be a deal breaker for me, but I rarely if ever will leave Texas and its contiguous states, so I will look in to that but if GStephens is right I should be ok.

I am not too crazy about the 28' s/o, but then, I haven't heard the "great price" yet. Will see.

New question re used: Assume I can buy new at 20% off. At what price can I look to sell that same trailer back to the dealer on average? I am looking to understand the depreciation progress on one and two year old trailers. Right now, checking NADA and classifieds, I am sensing that buyback is greater than 20%. For example: New MSRP $57k, purchase price $47k, buyback: $35k, meaning I should find one year old examples from private sellers around $40k. A similar, but a little lesser dep. for a two year old trailer. Your reactions?
Old 03-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Winter/Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlwood99
Based on some responses here, I did some more checking about towing over snow and ice. Looks like my "ski chalet" idea isn't so "cool." I will do more reading up on that, but if it doesn't work its not a deal breaker for me (but definitely a disappointment).

New question re used: Assume I can buy new at 20% off. At what price can I look to sell that same trailer back to the dealer on average? I am looking to understand the depreciation progress on one and two year old trailers. Right now, checking NADA and classifieds, I am sensing that buyback is greater than 20%. For example: New MSRP $57k, purchase price $47k, buyback: $35k, meaning I should find one year old examples from private sellers around $40k. A similar, but a little lesser dep. for a two year old trailer. Your reactions?
We camped out in ours during the winter and did not have a problem but for charging the single battery to run the heater overnight. We were snug as a bug in a rug. Just keep the vents open to exaust your people's moisture (we exhale 1-2 liters per day).

As far as prices goes I hear they are higher out west. I have seen 33% off list new, I just Googled up what I was looking for and they popped up.
Why not buy off a private party and save the money?
Smaller trailers are now selling better than bigger units. Any chance of you getting a smaller tow vehicle in the future? Maybe an older, lighter trailer will fit your bill.

R
Old 03-07-2007, 11:14 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
I hope to buy off of a private party, but to do that I want to know how much the dealer is offering on a buy back. Helps me find a win-win price (and gives me an idea how much I am at risk if I find I bought the wrong trailer for us, don't like trailering, or whatever).

I have 55k on my TV and runs like a dream. But when towing it gets a whopping 7-9 miles to the gallon. So yea, hope to buy less TV (or hopefully a hybird) in the future.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
A 28 foot with the slideout is a sweet rig! If you can get it reasonable, I'd look hard at that over the 25 foot.

Also, Airstream measures bumper to ball whereas the white boxes measure the box part. So a 31 foot Holiday Rambler is 3 feet longer than a 31 foot Airstream.

You could probably call the 28 footer a 25' and the ranger would see it's the same length as a 25' Prowler and let you in. I would guess. I know some parks have 30' restrictions. My Excella is a 28 footer when I go there
Old 03-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas , Texas
Didn't know that!! That makes the 28' a whole lot more attractive.

I am use to pulling a 24' race trailer, that was close to 28' overall. I thought that was plenty of trailer to be hauling around, not to mention trying to get it into state parks, rural areas, etc.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Same here. My 16' utility trailer is actually 22' long. And I borrowed my dad's 26' Terry once which was actually almost 30' long.

I could be wrong, but I don't think anybody but Airstream measures bumper to ball anymore.

I like those 28's. If I had the dineros, I'd like to get one. As it is, gotta make due with fixing up my old one.

A lot of people don't like slides. But they really do increase the room inside. Airstream's slides seem to be smaller than the other brands, but they still help. You do add a lot of weight though. But if you've got enough truck, go for it!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Good info on the length of the trailer. I boondock a lot and was worrying about the extra 3 feet on my unit.

We LOVE our Safari FB!! Lots of room with the split bath, lounge in the back when set up and the big bed in the front that is easy to make and get into.