Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Category for Commercial Airstream Trailers?

Is there a category for Commercial Airstream Trailers?

I most likely missed it....

Thanks

Chad
Old 01-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hello Chad -- I hope you get your answers. Stick around, ask questions in different ways and I believe answers will come. I also saw your other thread about belly wrap. Who did the commercial modifications? Anybody other than the factory could have removed belly skin.

The factory has always made custom trailers (eg, NPR's Story Corps). There is no reason the factory would make an Airstream without a belly skin. One rare exception is the 22' CCD International introduced in 2002 -- this lasted for just a couple model years IIRC.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Skin Gone

No I think it had a belly skin. it is just completely gone. I think someone removed it to get at the rotten floor, or the belly pan was damaged and the floor rotted. Not sure which. I have the trailer down to the frame and the shell(Still attached to Frame)

I am needing to fix the trailer for some bad welds or bad metal and also will post pics of the axel to determine if needs replacing.

I have the Title and I believe it is a genuine Commercial Airstream. The Vin seems to match this, must have been a one off unit though. It is 16 foot long 1983 model with about 8 foot width. It has the big 1983 windows and 2 big side openings for vending.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Commercial or not...

Chad, Commercial or not if it is a 16' trailer it would likely still be classified as a Bambi. That said... if you will post the vin number here we can see if someone can decipher it and tell you just what it was originally listed as by Jackson Center. Even if it was an after factory conversion to commercial use it still should have the belly skins re-installed. Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Vin

I will post it tommorrow. I used that VIN chart and it said commercial trailer.

Don't know much about all categores though.

Thanks

Chad
Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Commercial Airstream

Did all Airstream commercials start off as something else or did they make some custom. I didn't see any 1983 Model 16 foot. So just being 16 foot makes it a Bambi or is it a model. Sorry for the questions, just not sure.

Chad
Old 01-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Notes from Seller On Ebay

Here is what the guy I bought it from said:

This is a 1983 Airstream factory built vending trailer. It was never a camper. It opens on all 4 sides. The entry door is over the hitch. Tows great. The floor has been replaced within the last 2 years. 16 feet long plus length of hitch. This trailer was built to be a vending trailer to vend silver jewlery at craft shows. I am the 3rd owner. Feel free to ask questions. This trailer comes with clear Florida title. This trailer needs some TLC and is sold as is. This trailer will need to be picked up at my home in South Florida. Delivery can be arranged throughout USA for a fee, but I prefer you pick it up here. Inspection prior to sale is welcome. Trailer is for sale locally and may be ended early if a sale is made. I can email more photos to those that are interested. I have been using it for storage and need to clean it out. I put it on ebay before cleaning out, just to see if there was any interest in this trailer. Thanks for looking.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Well...

Chad, It could be either way. The factory will surely make a commercial style trailer if the owner requested it. It then is all about the cost to convert it if it is done as an after factory conversion. I do know that Andy at Inland would not hesitate at all to do a conversion for an owner. I still believe I read somewhere that the factory would build to suit for a price. You might be able to confirm if it was factory built by calling Airstream Customer Service Center at Jackson Center. They should be able to tell you! If it was done post factory that may be why the belly skins are missing! I for one would be interested to know which way this one goes. Please let us know what you find out and do post some pictures of you trailer. Do you intend to use it as a commercial vending trailer? Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
Link with Pics

I posted in other Thread as well, but here is the link with a few pics.

New Airstream Rebuild Project (Airstream Camper Trailer Rebuild and Restore)

Thanks

Chad
Old 01-22-2008, 01:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Maybe a 19'??

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsideSuppl
Here is what the guy I bought it from said:

This is a 1983 Airstream factory built vending trailer. It was never a camper. It opens on all 4 sides. The entry door is over the hitch. Tows great. The floor has been replaced within the last 2 years. 16 feet long plus length of hitch. This trailer was built to be a vending trailer to vend silver jewlery at craft shows. .
Based on the seller's description and your pictures, I would bet it is a 19' since Airstream considers the hitch as part of the overall length.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:46 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutsideSuppl
Is there a category for Commercial Airstream Trailers?

I most likely missed it....

Thanks

Chad
Hi, Chad. Since commercial builds are almost all "one off" units, there really isn't a category for each one. We may be able to start a single forum listing for all commercial builds, most of them here on the forums are former funeral coaches (motor homes).
Based on the description when you purchased your trailer, is is a 19' unit, as Airstream counts the tongue and bumper as part of the length.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

New Orleans , Louisiana
OK heres the VIN number 1SCVSAD14DJ034114

Listed as 1983
Old 04-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

I would also like to see a place for commercial models. It could be added in with all the other models and just say "Commercial" instead of Bambi, Safari, etc.
CAPTNDAVIE is offline   Reply With Quote