Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Can the Gray Tank "Spill" Out the Shower

So we've been camped in a State Park with no on-site sewer and the gray tank is at 98%. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue for me but this park is very hilly.

I don't know the mechanics of the Gray Tank but do we need to be concerned with water coming out of the shower drain and into the shower? Don't care so much about the shower; just don't want it coming out onto the floor!

Thanks!
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Do you still have your shower drain plug? I think if you fit it in tightly you shouldn't have a problem.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I think that the shower pan is just the first place that you will see indication that your gray water storage system is at capacity and it is time to dump teh gray water tank!

No problem, but of you don't pay attention, the next thing will be that gray water spilling out of the shower pan onto the floor!

There are a number of simple tricks that have been posted by myself and others whereby you can extend your stay when camped with no sewer hook up in order to avoid having to drag your trailer to a dump site and return it to your site.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
We've been at 100% several times and made it through some tight campgrounds to the dump station with no issues.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 08:59 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I would think that you will be fine. There might be a little that will slop out into your shower pan but I seriously doubt there would be enough to get past that. "Uneven"? It would have to be quite steep cause trouble.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
Wingeezer, tried searching for the simple tips you mentioned. Can you please provide the link(s).
Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Pretty much every trailer including SOBs will come up the shower drain first. Your indicator is actually pretty accurate of you see water in the shower pan at 98%. Drain it now; don't push it further.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Manitou Springs , Colorado
I got an 1 1/2" test plug at Ace. As you screw it, it expands to snugly stop any spill over. Don
Don Doucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Your gray water system consists of the following basic components, ranked lowest to highest:
1. Gray water tank dump valve and pipes
2. Gray water tank
3. Shower pan and plumbing
4. Kitchen sink and plumbing
5. Gray water tank vent (comes out on the roof)

Your bathroom sink probably drains into the black water tank. If it does drain into the gray water tank, it would rank between 2 and 3 on the list.

So, the shower pan is the true indicator of when then gray water tank is full and when stationary, the shower can hold approximately 10 gallons before overflowing onto the floor.

But your concern is the slosh, going to the dump station.

If the water is visible in the shower drain but not yet flowing into the shower pan, a tight fitting plug, as others have suggested, should be fine.

If the water is flowing into the shower, you will want to remove as much as possible before going to the dump station. A towel placed at the bottom of the pan along with a drain plug should neutralize any slosh of water you can’t bail out of the shower pan

To be absolutely sure, you can drain off some of the gray water into a bucket (the larger the better) using the gray water dump valve. Definitely a two person job as it is hard to position a bucket under the drain valve. Hopefully you have a hose you use to flush with that is not used for fresh water. You will also need to replace the dump valve cap with one that has a provision for connecting a garden hose. Hook the garden hose to the dump cap and position one person with the bucket downhill from the trailer. The other person is going to work the dump valve and will open and close the valve based on instructions from the person at the bucket. Important, make sure you know which valve is associated with the gray water and the black water (they are usually marked Waste and Sewer). Double check with your trailer user manual if in doubt.

You can take the bucket to the nearest restroom or dump station to empty out. Or, if your black tank has capacity, dump it down your toilet. Five gallons drained from a gray tank that has not yet overflowed into the shower should provide more than enough margin of safety from sloshing.

Disclaimer, common sense prevails here, I am not responsible for spillage or any other accidental issue which may arise following my suggestions.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Using the "drain plug" method, really isn't going to change anything. The tank is full, that's the end of the story. If you "plug" your shower drain, in a very short time the grey water will be seen in either the bathroom lavatory, or the kitchen sink.....
You might as well either hook up and go to the dump station, or maybe your grey water drain valve could conveniently start leaking.....(not saying that you should start the leak, though)
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:39 PM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
For goodness' sake - don't plug the shower drain to keep the gray water out unless it is an emergency and you are on your way to the dump.

If you plug the shower drain, where would you prefer the excess to build up?

We only had gray water back up into the shower once: the daughter-in-law volunteered to do the dishes and we didn't pay attention. So she ran the water continuously while she washed and rinsed and I was lucky to smell something a little funky and caught the matter just in time.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I think you're all forgetting the air admittance valve!
These are not a check valve! They will leak if pressurized with water!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #13
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Our grey backed up nto the shower. Get it dumped now, worth the trip.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have hit the road with a partially full gray tank a couple of times and have had it back up into the shower. I do not have or use a plug. I have a rubber drain screen to keep hair and cat litter out of the gray tank. My cat box lives in the shower. No harm no "foul". A bit gross but rinses out easy enough. So far no internal accidents from the black tank.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #15
Mrfixit

Vintage Kin Owner
Bathurst , New Brunswick
What about using an horizontal check valve, in place of a p trap. It has a rubber bladder which allows water to go out but not back up. I think i got it at VAS
mrfixit51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
I appreciate the help everyone. I really had no option but to go for it and hope for the best. As always, my wife was with me... so I made (begged) her to take the ride to the dump station in the shower while on the phone with me. Good news and bad news.

The bad news is that after a nightfall of rain, those trailer brakes were reeeeeally sticky and tossed my bride pretty good. She's fine! The good news is that there was no water at all. She did have the drain plug in but there's no way that thing would stop anything other than a bubble from coming out.

For reference the tank was actually at 95% upon moving. And now we know!

Thanks again!
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:02 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
When the grey tank is full, the back-up reservoir, by default, is the shower basin. The second back-up will be the bathroom floor. LOL

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
And for those that find themselves pushing the limits, the black tank shares the same vent stack as the grey tank (at least on our 19' FC). So if it comes to overfilling things and the shower is corked tight, I wonder if a little of the grey water would rise in the vent stack and find its way into the black tank? I think the black tank connection to the vent stack is below the sink drains.

If someone experiments, please make sure you include videos along with the dialog and photos!
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 11:54 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

redding , California
Is there an air check valve on all Airstream grey water tanks? Had my AS jacked up to replace all plumbing and dump valves and when I filled grey water tank to 2/3rds full, water was pouring out opposie side of tanks pan. I had two inchaes of water in shower pan and a lot of gurgling when filling grey water tank to test. Drained tank and water stopped. Have been quite full on grey tank before and never any leaks or overflow. Thoughts??
howell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 12:26 PM   #20
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by howell57 View Post
Is there an air check valve on all Airstream grey water tanks? Had my AS jacked up to replace all plumbing and dump valves and when I filled grey water tank to 2/3rds full, water was pouring out opposie side of tanks pan. I had two inchaes of water in shower pan and a lot of gurgling when filling grey water tank to test. Drained tank and water stopped. Have been quite full on grey tank before and never any leaks or overflow. Thoughts??
Gravity works.

If the shower drain plug is lower than the water in the gray tank water will and can back up into the shower. On some newer trailers there is a one-way valve of sorts designed to keep odors from backing into the shower, but it's not really designed to hold back gallons of water. One older trailers? Not sure what is between the tank and shower but if its a p-trap water will flow freely in both directions.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote