Old 11-29-2004, 10:00 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member
1975 Excella 500 service and owner's manuals

Thought I would resurrect this thread since we have become owners of a 1975 Excella 500.
The owner's manual is original, brown padded hardcover.
Service manual looks like it is a photocopy -- comb binding I've removed to make a photocopy for safe-keeping -- or maybe I should be plasticoating it??? Copyright 1975, cover says "1975 Excella Service Manual." Exterior drawings do not match our unit!? A note printed inside owner's manual says: Service information for the 1975 Excella will be included in the 1976 Airstream Service Manual, available December 1975. (Thought this info might help someone.) Not familiar enough with unit or manual yet to know if it's advisable to get paper copy of 1976 manual.
On the other hand, if anyone has put either the 1975 or 1976 service manual on CD, could I buy a copy? (I don't think I'll be scanning this one in, because I haven't been able to get scanner to cooperate yet!)
If anyone needs copy of a given section (subject), let me know. It does include info on trailers of other lengths and layouts. I did notice that one page was not well copied (blank in the middle). Haven't examined every page.

gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:59 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member
Excella 500's

Based on the information I have been able to locate. Airstream first produced the Excella 500 series in 1971 and 500 came off the producation line.

I have one of them! So, who has the other 499? If anyone knows, Please advise.

71excella500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
Excella 500

I owned and spent alot of time/miles in both a 71 & a 73 Excella 500. If I can be of help just ask and I will do my best to remember.
Ga Pockets
Ga Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #32
Hi all,
I have a 1976 31' Sovereign. Was the Excella just an upgrade of the Sovereign? and if it is , what are the differences? I also am looking for a service manual for my sovereign. Does anyone havethe 76 manual on CD or a copy that I can buy?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:30 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member
1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
I too have an Excella 500. We have a '75 and like some other posters, I must not have a gen-set or Dishmaster. Our model has the center bath (which we prefer since it has a larger berth).

I'm interested in an owners manual and service manual too. Any ideas of where to look?

Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 12:29 PM   #34
Thumbs up

I need a source for the 1974 27' Overlander manuals. As I read through, the ones you can order from the "secretary" are not much. If anyone out there cares to share, I would be grateful and glad to pay copy charges, shipping, etc. Please let me know.

Many thanks
mspring99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California

The manuals that Helen Davis has, are the only service manuals ever printed.

No one has a better one.

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:50 PM   #36
1974 31' Excella 500
Ocean Springs , Mississippi
Originally Posted by RickStream
I have an Excella from 1974 and will help with this subject when I can!

Hey Rick..We just acquired a 1974 Excella to live in while our house is bieng refurbished after Katrin paid us a visit. Anyway, we can't get the 12v to work. Charged the batt, but that did't help. I took off the panel in front of the stove and found what looks like a fairly new inverter. All the buss type fuses in it look good. Also found something strange! The black (-) lead coming from the batt. is connected to a black plastic? block that appears to be a fuse holder. There is no fuse in it, but there is a black wire coming from the other end of this block and going into the inverter. I am guessing there is a fuse missing?? Would this be the problem?? Thanks for any help!

Granny Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 05:54 PM   #37
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
hey granny,

i'll answer for rick since i know he is still at work.

yes you need to install a fuse in the holder.

airstreams from that era are odd in that they fused both the positive and negative leads to the battery.

report back and let us know how you did!

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #38
1974 31' Excella 500
Ocean Springs , Mississippi
Thanks john...appreciate the help. We'll try a 50 amp AGU. I used to live just outside of Eau Claire, but those Wisconsin winters are just too cold too long.
Thanks again
Granny Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:58 PM   #39
1974 31' Excella 500
Morristown , Tennessee
1974 Excella 500

We just bought a 1974 Excella and we're looking for any information we can find. If I understand correctly, the 1975 Service Manual is the one we need. Where can we get it? We're planning to try to repaint the interior because it's discolored. Can this be done? What kind of paint?
leroystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #40
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Welcome to the Forums!

Originally Posted by leroystoys
We just bought a 1974 Excella ....We're planning to try to repaint the interior because it's discolored. Can this be done? What kind of paint?
I used Krylon "Fusion" as a primer on the end caps of my '78 Sovereign - top coated with "Rustoleum".

Some Pics are in this thread....

Don't spray it too thick, and leave plenty of dry time between coats.

Don't know about painting the vinyl on the aluminum - I did wallpaper the vinyl on the '87 345 - be sure to use an extra adhesive (forget the name of it right now) as a primer before putting wallpaper over vinyl.

More discussion here...

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote