Old 05-18-2004, 05:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Hi, Just caught onto this thread. We have a 74 Excella as well. It wasn't until recently that I caught on to the fact that the 75 service manual was the one required for a 74 Excella, interesting way of doing things!

Anyway, I'd sure be interested in getting a copy (in pdf, jpg, paper or whatever) of the 75 service manual.

Thanks!

Brad
1974 Excella

Old 05-18-2004, 11:57 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

We need all we can find.

Hey Brad nice to have you along.
I too am trying to find an original 75 manual to copy. Got two leads but have not heard back from the most promising one yet. I will let you know soon and can have 2 or 3 copies made probably for a small savings. I am figuring about 8 cents a page at a copy club or kinkos.

What is your floorplan? Rear bath or center bath?
Do you have the onboard Onan genset? (I don't). How bout the Manville Dish Master for a kitchen faucet? (I don't)
If you get a chance look on the front streetside data plate and find the build date of your trailer. And was it a California or Ohio made?

I have only come across very few owners of our model.

Rickstream is member here and lives in Wisconsin.

Wannabefulltimin (Ray) a member from West Virginia.

Sue & Von ( Asheville NC maybe) not heard from since being beaten and belittled awhile back. Have not answered my e-mails or PMs.

a Mr. Bomar (non member AFAIK) California.Rear Bath.

Hex a member from Texas no longer posts and I understand no longer owns our model. Did you happen to buy from him?

Charles ___??? a member from Mississippi no longer posts here, is not sure of his model year but thinks it might be a 74.

One just sold on ebay Ctr Bath in San Diego new owner unknown.

Your 74.

Mine. Rear bath.

Old 05-30-2004, 08:26 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

I have a manual for a 71 excella 500 on its way to me as I write this. Will advise upon it's arrival.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:09 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

I think Helen Davis at 937-492-8885 still sells owner & service manuals. Has anyone bought one from her lately?
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 08:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Hi Jaco,

Sorry about the long delay in replying. Life is just too hectic sometimes! Here is the story of our Airstream.

Our trailer came from Rison Arkansas. The original owner was a doctor in Little Rock. He had it for a year or two and on one trip pulled off the side of the road and the trailer rolled over onto its side damaging the skin and assorted other odds and ends. The father of a guy I work with bought it from the doctor shortly after that for something like $5000. He then proceded to order and replace the exterior skin and repaired the interior as well. They used it for many years when my friend was growing up and then about 15 years ago his parents lived in it while they built a house in Rison. After the house was complete they parked the trailer at the Deer Camp where it sat (in the woods) for about 12 years. It had brand new Michlen tires on it when parked, what a waste. When we got the trailer it had actually been vacant for several years, not even the hunters would sleep in it. The windows from the repairs leaked and the floor was totally ruined around most of the edge of the trailer. Also, when they were living in it he rain piping and wiring in which left holes for rodents. The interior of the trailer when we got it was horrible inside. Mold, mildew, rotten wood, rusted stainless, etc. Needless to say the interior of the trailer was a total and compete loss. There were very few salvagable items.

We originally bought it with the thought of doing some work on it and reselling it. But once I pulled it out of the woods and took a good look at inside we realized just how bad it was.

We have since decided to make some major modifications to the trailer. My wife and I both Vintage race Triumph sports cars, sooooo.....we are going to convert the trailer from a live-in trailer to a two car transporter. That is probably blasphemy to most people on this forum but its about all this trailer is really good for. It would cost a small fortune to restore it or make it into a habitable trailer and rather than scrap it we felt a car transporter would be a nice modification.

I've been doing lots of research and have talked to a couple of Airstream dealers and they feel my plans are sound. Lots of work ahead but it should be an enjoyable project.

I'm really hoping to get a copy of the manual on CD so I can have some reference for repairs, etc.

Brad
1974 Excella 500 (down but not out!)

It had been used in a Dear Camp for the last 10 years or so.
Old 05-30-2004, 09:02 PM   #20
Rivet Master

I can't, offhand, think of a worse choice for the raw materials for a car hauler. I say nothing of the decision not to restore, sometimes that's the way it is. But an Airstream has very limited cargo capacity anyway, and that is when it is at full strength. Cutting into the structure to create a garage door will destroy the monocoque structure, leaving it greatly weakened.

But, maybe someone knows something here that I don't.

Mark
Old 06-01-2004, 12:22 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Post Service Manual

I will soon be a proud owner of a 1975 Excella 500 31' including original "1975 Excella Service Manual" and the Excella 500 brown soft cover owners manual (I currently have both manuals in my possession). The service manual is about an inch thick (the pages are numbered by chapters, not continuous so I'm not sure how many pages exactly). Anyway, let me know if I can help you in any way.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:41 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Excella glasses

ANy desire for a set of 4 Excella glasses. I can get a set of them. Did these come with the trailer?
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 08:40 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71excella500
I have a manual for a 71 excella 500 on its way to me as I write this. Will advise upon it's arrival.
Do you mean you have a 1971 Service Manual on order? or could you be meaning a 1971 Excella Owners Manual? (Two different animals).
I do not think there is or was a specific Excella Service Manual (in the 70's). But nothing would surprise me regarding the lack of continuity in the world of Airstream literature.

Did you order from Helen Davis at Secretarial services by any chance? Please report on your manual condition if so.
I have heard that some of the copies she provides are less than expected due to muddy illustrations. Perhaps from 2nd or later generation copy masters.
Anyway good luck and please keep us informed.

Thanks
jaco
Old 06-01-2004, 05:15 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Airstream500
I will soon be a proud owner of a 1975 Excella 500 31' including original "1975 Excella Service Manual" and the Excella 500 brown soft cover owners manual (I currently have both manuals in my possession). The service manual is about an inch thick (the pages are numbered by chapters, not continuous so I'm not sure how many pages exactly). Anyway, let me know if I can help you in any way.
Hello 75AS500,
glad you are aboard. I am going to give my contact another week and then I will have to do something else. cannot imagine the delay, told the lady I would put up a hundred dollar deposit just to be able to take the book for a day or so to have it professionally copied. I was also going to give her a copy of the 74 manual. (She has a 74 sovereign but mistakenly got the 75 manual).
I prefer to do the copy myself as to insure the quality. It is real easy for Kinkos etc to just run the pages thru the printer automatically and not proof the results in any way. Dual sided copies times aprox. 400 shots (pages) are a major PITA one page at a time.

Are you sure the Owners Manual you have is softcover? My 74 is hardcover.

I am also looking for a sales brochure for the Excella 500. I was told about one that a gentleman had with his 73 Excella. However he said it was aquired later than the trailer and it did not show any year date. From the pictures he said it appeared to look like his 73, but might have been for 74, 75, or 76 too.
He sold the trailer and the brochure went with it, I have lost contact with him.

What is the layout of your 75 ? Rear bath or center bath?
Manville dishmaster? on board gen set?

I am very anxious to discern the difference (if any) between the 74, 75, and 76 models. Look forward to your info and input.

Best regards
jaco

Old 06-01-2004, 07:27 PM   #25
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe
ANy desire for a set of 4 Excella glasses. I can get a set of them. Did these come with the trailer?
yes!

i would be interested!

pm me please!

john
Old 06-01-2004, 08:16 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Our Airstream is a rear bath model with the twin bunks on either side of the hall. I am a little concerned because I keep reading about the sag problem with the rear bath design. However, it doesn't appear that ours currently has any problems with that. If it does, it is slight.

We actually are aquiring our Excella through a trade. We are paint a house for a man who is currently living in it full time while the house is being built. As soon as our paint job is done, the Airstream is ours and we are very excited and feel the deal was a good one. The Excella has everything in working order except for the refridgerator which I hear is about $1000 or so. But the condition is excellent. The only other major item I hope to do is to reupholster the lounge because it has been done in a late 80's fabric (blue and mauve, ick) and I want to get it back to look more authentic.

Yes, my owners manual IS hard bound. Actually, I just meant that it was soft...you know, skwishy-like....hahaha...okay, so I'm a girl...anyway.

You asked about the dishmaster and the onboard gen-something. I actually don't know about the extras that are included on this thing. I walked in, saw the condition, the price was right and we said, "yes" it's a deal. To tell you the truth, I don't even know what a dishmaster or an onboard gen-thingy is but would love it if you could enlighten me.

Lisa
Old 06-01-2004, 09:49 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Lisa,
The dishmaster is like a kitchen sink wand with brush and container to which you add soap. Some Excellas had on board propane electric generators which provided electricity for the unit just like motorhomes have now. The ones I have seen have been on the street side if I remember correctly. Johnhd posted some pictures of a friend's trailer which had one of these.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75Airstream500
I am a little concerned because I keep reading about the sag problem with the rear bath design.
the reason rear bath got this rap is that they were the most common type of this era but all models suffer.

The cause (Andy at InlandRV.com is particularly strong on this) is vibration from poor dynamic wheel balancing that aggravates a somewhat weak design and poor loading practice. (the frame members were made smaller in the late sixties to reduce weight)

There are at least two official Airstream technotes on this. One is the 'elephant ear' approach to add strength to the frame from the rear (leaves skin patches on the rear that look like elephant ears). The other is a reinforcement for the axle mounting plate.

You detect problems by a telltale crease in the skin near the wheels or by the frame separating from the shell at the rear (jump on the bumper and see if it moves separately from the shell).

One contributing factor is when axles lose their torsion and the frame sits down on the stops. This aggravates the frame stress on bumps. Andy has a good bit on axles, too (he claims to be the only 'official' US Airstream axle replacement source). You can tell if this is a problem because your wheels will set well up in the wheel well and the arm between the axle and spindle points up rather than down.

I tend to give Andy good credence on this as his remarks make more sense than most and he has good information about it on his web site, even considering a potential crass commercial motivation.

If you find you have problems with things staying in place while you are going down the road, you have an indication that you may need to balance your wheels and reduce vibration and bounce in the trailer. Do this not only to help keep things in place while en-route but also to reduce stress on the frame and other trailer parts.