Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Cohasset , Massachusetts
Bike racks

I'm interested in hearing from folks with any experience with Fiamma CARRY-BIKE racks for their AS trailers.
If comments are favorable, I'll be looking for a used one - anyone out there?
Thanks,
Dave

Old 07-25-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

As far as I've seen, there really isn't an "option B" If you want to haul bikes and they can't go in/on the TV ... that's what you go with.

Bob

uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
2015 28' International
2013 28' International
Las Vegas , Nevada
Dave,
I have experience with these bike racks, and they work well for 2 bikes that weigh less than 30lbs. each. The main issue is how the rack is mounted to the back of your AS, ensure that the upper brackets are riveted/screwed into the frame ribs on both sides of the rear window (28' INT), just make sure that they are securely affixed to the body and into a frame rib. The rest is an easy instal as they adjust to fit either width.
DO NOT OVERLOAD these racks, the upper mounts will rip out (even mounted to the rib), the rack will bend over and your bikes will grind on the road until you stop, "if " you notice .
You may want to add a rear class 1 receiver and put in a Thule rack??? This will void your AS warranty so I would not.
Happy Airstreaming!
vintagemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
I have also looked at that bike rack. I have talked to a few people that have them and they love them. However they did not have the same concerns I have: 1. The bikes seem to block the brake/tail lights. Enough that I fear those that drive on my butt will not see them well enough. Then who's fault is it. Theirs for tailgating or mine for blocked lights. 2. The bikes block the license plate. Some place here on the forums I saw a picture of someone making a holder for the license plate to hang from the bikes because they got pulled over for it being obstructed.
If you google 'airstream bike rack' you will see another option. A rake that mounts to the front frame and the bikes sit above the LP tanks. I did not like that one because of lifting the bikes that high. I might as will just use my rake that sits over the bed of my truck.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

As far as I've seen, there really isn't an "option B" If you want to haul bikes and they can't go in/on the TV ... that's what you go with.

Bob
Arvika tongue rack is "option B". Happy with mine.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:09 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Looks like the Arvika bike racks may not work with the 27FB or any other model with a storage hatch on the front of the trailer just behind the propane tanks. No room for the hatch door to be opened
Old 07-31-2017, 05:58 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
Looks like the Arvika bike racks may not work with the 27FB or any other model with a storage hatch on the front of the trailer just behind the propane tanks. No room for the hatch door to be opened
It's about as problematic as the rear one on my Classic with rear trunk. I just saw another brand in trailer life which mounts on the tongue Jack. That might work.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:24 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeocamperAS View Post
I have also looked at that bike rack. I have talked to a few people that have them and they love them. However they did not have the same concerns I have: 1. The bikes seem to block the brake/tail lights. Enough that I fear those that drive on my butt will not see them well enough. Then who's fault is it. Theirs for tailgating or mine for blocked lights. 2. The bikes block the license plate. Some place here on the forums I saw a picture of someone making a holder for the license plate to hang from the bikes because they got pulled over for it being obstructed.
If you google 'airstream bike rack' you will see another option. A rake that mounts to the front frame and the bikes sit above the LP tanks. I did not like that one because of lifting the bikes that high. I might as will just use my rake that sits over the bed of my truck.
The rear tail lights and license plate is not blocked any more than all of the other bike racks mounted on the back of vehicles. take a look at vehicles hauling bikes anywhere in the country, interstates, Moab, etc and all of the racks block license plates and to some degree the rear lights. We have traveled thousands of miles with our Fiamma, including Canada and the ferry system, and never had an issue. I would not put a cover over the bikes as that would definitely block everything.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:28 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We traveled all over the country with the Airstream Fiamma on our Airstream for the last six years. Very convenient, easy to put bikes on and off. The trailer tail lights are very visible, that's a non-issue.

Before that we used a Fiamma rack for our VW Campers, same good results. I especially like the tire support rails at the bottom which allows the bikes to rest while being strapped down, and keeps them mounted solidly.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:45 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Another Option

I am thinking of having an adjustable hitch welded to the rear frame and using my hitch mounted rack.

Any thoughts or cautions to this method?
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks3456 View Post
I am thinking of having an adjustable hitch welded to the rear frame and using my hitch mounted rack.

Any thoughts or cautions to this method?

Hi - welcome.

Lots of thoughts and cautions. I don't remember the threads exactly but keep searching and you'll find them.

General consensus - not good for your trailer in terms of potential for rear separation and negative impact on handling/towing (increase in sway likelihood).

Some have done it without complaint - others have tried and reported back that it's a bad idea. Again - search around - this topic has lots of opinions and insight in the forums.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #12

2006 31' Classic
Livingston , Texas
I know this thread is over a year old, but we are in the market for an AS. Currently getting our truck ready to haul while trying to sell our Class C. My question about bike racks is why you don't see more front mounted hitches to carry the bikes. We just ordered a Curt front hitch. Any pros or cons to this set up?
bwhitley19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' Tommy Bahama
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Bwhitley19,

I would be very interested in your experience with the Curt front hitch. I am about to order the Draw-tite version of the front hitch for my truck. I was wondering if the Curt would be too low and if the Draw-tite might be too high. I decided to try the Draw-tite as I thought the Curt might interfere with front clearance, but I am still unsure of my decision.
Thanks,
Rick
Old 02-05-2018, 09:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I had a Curt on the front of my previous TV, A 2004 Nissan Titan, and carried my bikes up there some 70000 miles without any problems. The bikes do get filthy though. Bugs, road yuck, mud...

I just installed one on my 2016 Titan XD for the same purpose but have yet to carry them. Can't imagine it would be any different. Pretty simple install.

Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote