Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Boise , Idaho
Bambi 16 International vs. Safari

My wife and I are very interested in buy a new Bambi 16. We think we'd like either a International CCD or a Safari. But we're having difficulty understanding what the additional $5,000 for a International CCD gets us in comparison to the Safari.

Our local dealer only has a Quicksilver Bambi so we can't get a real sense of the differences. Any input will be appreciated.

Thank you, Willy
gorrissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Connecticut
Hi Willy,
Go to WWW.Airstream.Com. Which is the Web site for Jackson Center,OH. Where they Make Airstreams. And you can fine the whole nine yards.
Old 04-27-2006, 07:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Check the 19 out before you buy...

Willy,

I recently went to Jackson Center and checked out many different models. Two of these were the Bambi 16' and Bambi 19'. The 19 isn't that much larger on the outside, but it seems like a whole world bigger on the inside! I'd recommend you look at one of those too. You might find you like the bit of extra room inside. I know different stroke for different folks, but I really liked the Bambi 19 and would like to have one myself. The 16 was too tight for me, and I'm a fairly skinny guy.

Anyway, my two cents worth. They're both nice trailers. I've really got my eye on the classic 30

To more directly answer your question, the International CCD is sort of a special edition that is affiliated with a famous architect (whose name escapes me, but it's like Christopher Denning or something like that) and so you pay a premium for that. The International is Airstream's in-house model. So you might say one is the normal version and one is the special edition. Body and frame wise, they're probably the same trailer.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:20 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
I have a 16' CCD that we bought in the fall of 2004.

The biggest difference between the CCD and the Safari that we cared about, whether 16' or 19' or whatever length, was the windows. If you can see at your dealer both types at the same time, open all the windows on both models, and see if the extra glass, and the amount the windows open, makes a difference to you.

I think price difference on the CCD is also because of the decor, and that is really just a matter of personal preference. But the windows make a big difference, both in the feeling of openess, and the amount of air flow. We do a lot of camping without hook ups (and therefore no air conditioning), so the air flow is important. If we did mostly camping where there are hook ups and you can run the air when you need it, I would probably have gone with the Safari and saved the extra $$. Either model is a good choice, if it meets your needs, and that's more important than the purchase price difference. A couple years down the road, the initial price difference will fade, and you won't regret either choice if you are happy with your trailer.

The 16' Quicksilver has the wrap windows on both ends. All of the CCDs have the wrap windows on the front, and some have them also on the back (an option on the standard CCD models).

Just my thoughts, good luck!
Bob
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Ogden , Utah
Another thought - Airstream also offers the Safari decor, with the CCD-style windows. This is a nice option if you prefer the Safari look, but like the bigger windows. However, I don't believe this option is adverstised in the 16' length (it is in the 19').

Some people talk about having the factory do a special order, and it would be worth contacting them to find out if you were interested in that for a 16'
Bob
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Sun Valley , Idaho
Quicksilver

Hi Willy, We have the QS. and love, love, it. Took a 3,750 mi. trip to Texas
in late March. We are two adults and two Kerry Blue Terrier dogs and we
are very comfortable. The windows were very important to us as well and we
hated the black interior of the 19. I know some have a different color but
the green and orange were equally bad as well. We are in Sun Valley if y'all
want to chat give a call. Warm Regards and Happy Trails, John & Betty
Bettymsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Ccd

I have a 19CCD, which I am obviously partial to. I have some friends with a 16CCD and 22 Safari and the main reason for me to purchase the CCD (other than the cool all aluminum interior) was the stand-up shower and separate toilet (dry bath). I just didn't much care for the wet bath style.

Oh, and CCD stands for Christopher C Deam, the architect who did the design work.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote