Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Anyone purchase from rvdirect.com?

I am looking to purchase a new 2015 Airstream 30 Flying Cloud and would like to hear any comments on purchases made from rvdirect.com. Pricing looks like around 15k off of MSRP. Anything good/bad feedback on the experience would be very helpful. I know I will have to go pick up the RV in Florida but not overly concerned with that. Thanks.
HarvInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Lilburn , Georgia
I hadn't heard of them before. Just seeing the list prices for the models and options is great. We aren't in the market for a new one, but loved looking.
BeachHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I just got a quote on a 23FB FC. It was 11,000 off MSRP. The one piece of information they left out was the year. I don't know if this is for a 2014 or 2015.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
I just got a quote on a 23FB FC. It was 11,000 off MSRP. The one piece of information they left out was the year. I don't know if this is for a 2014 or 2015.
The page for the 30FB said it was a 2015. You can call the person that sent you the quote to confirm.
HarvInTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:47 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
We got nearly 20% off MSRP from a regular full service dealer. The discount you got from RVdirect.com doesn't seem all that good.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
I would take that price to your local dealer. We bought our 2014 FC at a dealer for a good price. It was 3 hours away from us, outside of Austin, in Texas but worth the trip because our local dealer didn't have the floor plan we wanted and wasn't getting it in until right before we needed to use it for our extended trip. You have to calculate travel expenses into your costs. It is part of the expense even though you are willing to travel. We also had a friend who bought SOB in Florida and the local dealer refused to do the warranty work so getting the warranty work done for them was quite a hassle. WE did ask that question where we bought ours and they assured us there would be no issue with AS.
silverlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
We got nearly 20% off MSRP from a regular full service dealer. The discount you got from RVdirect.com doesn't seem all that good.
When did you buy yours? It would seem that 2014 models could be had for quite a discount. We are 1 hour door to door from Foley RV and would prefer buying from them.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
When did you buy yours? It would seem that 2014 models could be had for quite a discount. We are 1 hour door to door from Foley RV and would prefer buying from them.
We bought our 27' 2014 EB from Colonial AS in NJ in late November 2013 and got a very reasonable price. It was right in the middle of that model year. Our favorable discount might have been partly due to the end of the "busy season." Also, their post purchase service has been top notch!

From what I can gather from this Forum, discounts ranging from 15% to 20% off MSRP are quite achievable. I would think that a high volume dealer would be more amenable to discounting than a low volume one and that buying at an "off time" of the year would also help. I think we hit the sweet spot in both instances back in November.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
They just gave me a quote on a 2015 FC 25A RB Twins that was less than 2500 below list. Looked like all they did was lower the cost of the options I ordered. Big joke.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvInTX View Post
I am looking to purchase a new 2015 Airstream 30 Flying Cloud and would like to hear any comments on purchases made from rvdirect.com. Pricing looks like around 15k off of MSRP. Anything good/bad feedback on the experience would be very helpful. I know I will have to go pick up the RV in Florida but not overly concerned with that. Thanks.

To answer your question directly, I've had no dealings with rvdirect.com. Taking delivery in Florida and bringing her home would be a good shake down trip to check out everything on the trailer including whatever hitch system you have setup for this particular trailer. And assuming you brought the essentials with you, you could spend at least a couple of nights en route home to really check out everything. I do agree with previous comments that with that price in mind, you could negotiate with other Airstream dealers closer to home. I've also seen others say 20% off MSRP is not unusual if you're up to negotiating and particularly if the dealer has what you want on the lot. I bought mine used so my experience is different. I believe any authorized dealer will honor warranty work, I would expect the dealer I established rapport with by buying from him would be more eager to solve any problems, but that isn't always true. Make the best deal you can and I hope you will enjoy your new trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Above advice all good. Think of 15 to as much as 25% off MSRP. That will depend on early in sale year or a new last year model. Also, don't expect as much off if you are buying a new model or new interior layout, etc. Like automobiles, it will matter if the dealer moves a lot of Airstream stock, or is happy just selling a few. One thing to watch out for--MSRP sticker price. All units leave JC with a window sticker (MSRP) but you will probably never see one still on at the dealership. Ask to see it. If you look around enough you will find a dealer that will offer you 30% off sticker price that is an inflated MSRP. Know your numbers from JC and start at 25% off from there. If you are talking to a dealer who wants to sell for a reasonable profit, a counteroffer will come. If not, shop elsewhere.
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
So, the paper that is in the trailer with all the standard features and optional features that are installed is not the real msrp? They all look alike and the prices are close across multiple dealers.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:55 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
So, the paper that is in the trailer with all the standard features and optional features that are installed is not the real msrp? They all look alike and the prices are close across multiple dealers.
Went to file cabinet to take a photo of mine, not there, must be in the trailer--not sure why I have it still with the packet there. Anyway, not at the trailer now, but what you are talking about sounds like it. It will have all options listed and prices. I call it the window sticker because that's what JC called it. I'm not personally sure they actually stick it to a window. But just be sure you view it before starting negotiations. We ran into one dealer in Texas who offered us exactly that 30% discount off what was an inflated MSRP. We bought elsewhere, so I never got into asking for the window sticker, but I figured there would have been a reason to not present it to us. We just never dealt with him again when we saw his MSRP starting point and 30% discount price was a good bit higher than the deal we worked at 21% for the same 30 FC off the real numbers. That 21% deal was for a 2012 about 3 months before the 2013s were coming out.

About the service you may or may not get from a dealer that you did not buy from. I've had no trouble. If it is a warrantee issue, Airstream is going to call and set that up for you. So as long as the dealer has a Airstream certified Mech. you should be able to ask for the work done where you want. I will say that the only damage to my trailer has been at the dealer's during warrantee work. Small dents, etc. Any thing I can fix, I do myself just to keep it away from dumb s*$#s.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
So, we have our eye on a 2014 23FB IS that has been on the lot for quite some time and is showing minor wear. The dealer is a smallish sized dealer. You think I could start negotiating at 30% off?
Old 06-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Why not? I went with: "been wanting and saving for a long time. This is what we can spend". 30 is an awful lot, less than his cost, but maybe he'll meet you in the middle at 15. From there you could get to 20 pretty easily, I would think. Will be anxious to hear how you do. Nice changes in the 2015s--even the ones under 25'. So a year old model is not something he should want around for too long.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 06-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
RVDirect is just RV One in Orlando, aka RV One Super Stores. Yes they have 5 locations nationwide. If my visit to their facility in Tampa is anything to go by, they're clowns. And will bug you nonstop. Literally, sent me "don't miss this offer" letters about once a week for two months and called my cell 2 times a week after our visit. Last time I ever give out my #. Worst high pressure sales tactics. Holy moly! Pretty sure I complained about them somewhere else on this forum too in a thread about Florida RV dealers.

Lowest prices in the US, excuse me, I peed myself from laughing so hard. I'm trying so hard to stay positive.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
My local dealer, Out of Doors Mart, in Colfax, North Carolina, should be able to match any true offer and I am guessing you can do well on a 2014 unit as most dealers have several on hand. The service staff is very good as well, being a factory authorize repair facility.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

« Help | Top | 1958 Custom »