Old 04-11-2007, 10:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Have your accountant look into the INCORP yourself concept and, then lease it back from that entity to yourself. Possible advantage is: At the end of the life cycle, you could sell/buy it back to yourself or your wife.
The "second home concept" is most likely the easiest tax write off but for the interest only. All you need for proof is to have the complete bathroom. Whether you actually use it or not is mote the point.
I am sure that there are other concepts available in the wing..
Watch out for local zoning tho...they can be a royal pain..

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
There is a 16 International at Skyriver RV in Paso Robles for $42,000.

They also have a 19 ft International for 48,000.

No I don't work for them but I am happy with the two I bought there and the way they treated me.

Try looking on RVSearch.com. Many dealers list their units there.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
everybody's got something to hide 'cept for me and my monkey!

great minds...

clearly ask the same silly questions...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...try-15287.html

2air'
Aha! Thanks for the link. I would never have thought to search for streetside.

I realized that since this idea had started to take root in my head I had been picturing it all backwards.

The spot I wanted to put it in, fits perfectly, nestled beside the fence, open to the yard, up against the garage (an old one behind the house, french doors, no vehicles.)

Only problem is that I was imagining the mirror image... no way to get the trailer hitch side back against the garage, it'll have to point toward the street. And the door is up against the fence.

I'll have to cheat it away from the fence, I guess, but the visions of an open awning and chairs facing the yard are pretty much toast.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:15 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53FlyingCloud
Have your accountant look into the INCORP yourself concept and, then lease it back from that entity to yourself. Possible advantage is: At the end of the life cycle, you could sell/buy it back to yourself or your wife.
The "second home concept" is most likely the easiest tax write off but for the interest only. All you need for proof is to have the complete bathroom. Whether you actually use it or not is mote the point.
I am sure that there are other concepts available in the wing..
Watch out for local zoning tho...they can be a royal pain..
Thanks for the reply, FlyingCloud.

Zoning? Oh, man, didn't even think about that. They can indeed be a royal pain. That should be fun to figure out. I just loooooove people telling what I can and can't do on my own property.

I bet there is a section zoning somewhere on this site. I think I'll go find it.

re: the accountant. I think that's what he's thinking. I'm already incorporated for my job, so that's why he was leaning toward a new trailer... something i can lease through the company.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping
There is a 16 International at Skyriver RV in Paso Robles for $42,000.

They also have a 19 ft International for 48,000.

No I don't work for them but I am happy with the two I bought there and the way they treated me.

Try looking on RVSearch.com. Many dealers list their units there.
I'm going to check that out, thanks.

I'm also liking the 22' International with the built in desk, even though that's bigger than I wanted.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Zoning

If you live in the City of L.A. you can park your RV in your driveway or back yard no rules against it.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:41 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomonkey

I'm also liking the 22' International with the built in desk, even though that's bigger than I wanted.
The 22' is a perfect business combo unit.. The desk/dinnette/counter top all could be used (and for tax purposes..) presents itself nicely toward a business meeting and/or class situation write off quite nicely. Annual deprec. might apply here toward a business write off. Which then gets you back to a buy-out option or, better yet a newer unit..
The dollar figures quoted for the 16' & 19' is not that far off from what a 22' can be had for.
Zoning boards in NE..
No one wants a business near their town but..
they're all for the tax monies..
Wasn't this the reason why we got rid of the "original" King Geroge?
Good luck..
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
Why No Monkey

I love monkeys but i am sure you have your reasons. I think you would be very foolish to buy a new trailer at $45k+ to park in your yard as an office. You can buy a used shell and have any of the top notch restoring companies outfit it for your use at a lower cost. Vintage will also look far cooler and the money you save coudl afford you surround sound install, teak desk, top of the line swiss espresso maker and every slick piece of office technology you could ever imagine. A new trailer will depreciate the minute it leaves the lot and after a few years of being stationary will further lose any re-sale luster. There really is nothing noticeably better between my 68' trailer and the 08' we just ordered insofar as a stationary very cool looking vacation home or office - the monocoque shell is a solid structure regardless of age.

You will find trailers on ebay, classifieds, etc on a regular basis that would meet your needs and the retro look is an eye grabber. As you are a fellow over of the 75th anniversary edition bambi I would strongly encourage you to check out David Winick's / Winick design web-site - vintage trailering. He designed the 75th anniversary model for AS and has a tremendous eye for design and quality workmanship. He is located in Grand Rapids Michigan and could find and refurbish a trailer for your exact needs under contract. He also has restored trailers available from time to time. In fact when AS opted to use David's design, they later realized the task of crafting 75 of his quality trailers was daunting and it delayed the anniversary models roll-out a fair bit (artisan work is hard to replicate on the factory floor). David is occasionally on AIR and is a genuine down to earth guy with more industrial design talent in his pinkie than my entire body. Another west coast talent to consider is Vintage Vacations, Classic Trailers and More - not just airstreams and some wicked cool remodels of classic trailers - expect them to be pricey but still in the range of a new AS.

I would also seriously consider a roof top AC unit with a heat strip for the LA climate. Wall mounted unit will not disperse the conditioned air as well and the heat strip will come in handy on those cool "winter" mornings when you first get out to your office. It will cover you from 40 to 100
degrees.

Hope this helps and please re-consider the monkeys (if you have poop fling it now).

VH2GO
Old 04-12-2007, 08:34 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
One more cost saving idea

NoMonkey:

Travel Trailers were deisgned for travel - is there a specific reason you do not intend to move your office ever? If I could work out of my AS (and with WiFi hotspots it is now possible), I would pull up to a different coffee shop etc every day and snake a orange extension cord to the nearest juice. Mobile offices ar emore an more common.

If you do not plan to use the trailer for both work and pleasure, you will clearly save big dollars by having someone restore a vintage unit and skip the wheel/axle/road worth issue - they can deliver it to you on a flatbed and place it wherever you chose - you can even have a deck and covered walkway built from the house with the money you save. I would spring for a nice awning so you can take a break and enjoy the outdoors during your workday.

Good luck!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Never say Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomonkey

I'd definitely go with the 22 CCD - I have one so I'm a bit prejudiced. You may THINK you'd just park it in your yard... if zoning permits, but I'll guarantee you'll find yourself thinking, "now I need to go to Death Valley, or Winslow Arizona or ....... to do research, and hotels are expensive and..." OH.... The twinkie! Yea-ass!

As for bigger? Well I recently had guests visiting and I put them up in my 25 FB SE while I stayed in the 22ft CCD. I really miss some of it's features (including the much maligned and much misunderstood wet bath). And therein hangs a tale. I thought the 22 would be big enough forever. I still really enjoy it, and it's only slightly easier to tow then the 25, but you know what, I may just buy into Virginia Highland Haven, put it up there for the summer and have a summer cottage.

Full time in an Airstream for a week and you'll change your views on housing forever. For instance if I'm ever compelled to live in a house again, it will damn well have a floor drain in the bathroom. How can anyone claiming to have three living brain cells not understand what a great thing this is? Child lets sink overflow... floor drain vs. hundreds or even thousands of dollars of damage to wallboard? Sick child barfs everywhere in bathroom. Sprayer and floor drain... no need to get up close and personal with recycled Cheerios!

It's called aluminitis. You've got it. You'll soon find yourself looking at people who drive big trucks and saying to total strangers, "Oooh, Cummins Diesel, nice. Do you have an Airstream?"

Paula Ford
Old 04-12-2007, 09:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Go here right now

This is in our Classified section. It is close to you (that will save you at least 1000)and exactly what you described. Its so nice I hate to see it "parked" but, so be it.
http://www.airforums.com/classifieds...ct=3462&cat=34
Old 04-13-2007, 07:40 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
Jump on Melody's Link Pronto

NoMonkey - Took a peak at Melody Ranch's link and the trailer appears to be a looker with all the comforts you would require - very clean and not too big + when the road bug tempts you, it appears to be quite worthty of a business trip from time to time!!
Old 04-13-2007, 07:51 AM   #27
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Airstream will no longer sell a shell, for liability reasons. However, Inland Andy (www.inlandrv.com) has been able to get them in the past for custom projects, he may be able to help you. Give him a call, his contact info is on his website. The worst that can happen is that he may not be able to help you.