Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Question Airstream Models???

I am relatively new to this forum, and do not currently own a travel trailer, but am seriously looking for one. I have looked at other forums and read the messages of others, and have come to the conclusion that if I can find one that will fit my needs, and is affordable I would much prefer to own an Airstream. As I look through the various posts I am struck by the number of different models, Excella, Sovereign, International, etc.. I am looking for something in the 30' or above length. Can anyone help me to understand the difference in all of these models? Were some only made during certain years, are some equiped with more lavish appointments, etc., what are the differences? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, DGR
Old 04-15-2004, 06:40 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1952 25' Cruiser
Dummerston , Vermont
Hi DGR,
You didn't mention if you were looking for new or used trailers, but you can find an archive of older models (pre-1979) at vintageairstream.com that may help to explain some of the differences in model names. Here's the link:
http://vintageairstream.com/archives/index.html

Of course, for the latest models you can check out the Airstream web site http://www.airstream.com/.

Someone else will have to chime in about the 80's and 90's A/S.

Doug
Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:42 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Here is the Readers Digest version as far as I understand it.

If you are looking at a 70's model you will want a Sovereign. Up to 79? the Sovereigns were the 30 foot models, 27 foot was an Overlander.

Trim packages were International, Excella, Excella 500 Excella 1000 and Limited.

The base model was the name, then international was a package of options, and Excella offed additional features and so on. I have no idea the details on the add ons as they changed form year to year.

The Sovereign was the only one in the 70's that could be an Excella.

In the 80's all the names became trim levels and the length was just a length.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to the Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnnRe8
I am relatively new to this forum, and do not currently own a travel trailer, but am seriously looking for one. I have looked at other forums and read the messages of others, and have come to the conclusion that if I can find one that will fit my needs, and is affordable I would much prefer to own an Airstream. As I look through the various posts I am struck by the number of different models, Excella, Sovereign, International, etc.. I am looking for something in the 30' or above length. Can anyone help me to understand the difference in all of these models? Were some only made during certain years, are some equiped with more lavish appointments, etc., what are the differences? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, DGR
You are right...all the names can be confusing! In the early years the name indicated the lengths...30-footers were know as Sovereigns. The length varied slightly year to year, sometimes it was called 30' sometimes 31'.

In later years, sometimes the names indicated the level of the upgrade package or type of window trim & accessories. So there could be Excellas or Internationals in in different lengths.

To make matters even more confusing, some of the names that at one time indicated a length in the 60's was recylced to indicate a trim, fit & finish style in the current models, like Safari. International used to be a trim & accessory package that included things like water purifiers & bigger tanks for international caravans, now it is an entire line.

As you "dig around" here on the forum, you will get a better feel for what's out there...the "search tool" will become your best friend!

Hope this helps get you started...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote