Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
But in fl it still must have a light. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Yeah, we still need to add that! If anyone finds the perfect, simple addition, please do let us know.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Do I then need to remove my Airstream because it obscures my TV plate??????????

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Yes, and right now, do not wait! Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
1975 26' Argosy 26
Flora , Indiana
Lightbulb Relocate plate with bike rack

I have a new bike rack that mounts the same as the AS rack, it to covers my plate.
I relocated my plate just below the original plate on top of my bumper. I drilled two holes in the "chrome rubber trim" for the bottom plate screws to hold the plate. I used chrome plate screw covers to dress it up. When I'm not using the rack I return the plate above and leave the chrome screw covers in the trim holes. The plate is between the wheels and the plate light above allows some light to light the plate. When I use a bike rain cover you can draw up the cover with a cord between the tires to see the plate, its a little sloppy but it works. The plate will curve upward slightly and this helps light the plate. Do not use a plate frame because you can not open up the bumper compartment lid.
st.stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
Brian, great idea to use battery-powerd LED light.

Regarding the tail/brake lights, I think they are high enough to be above the wheels. But I don't own a rack yet, so maybe I will take a look by holding a bike at bumper level. I can't do that right away, as our Bambi is in for service. Any A/S bike rack owners out there?

Thanks all for good ideas and discussion.

Charlie
aircampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Lake Forest Park , Washington
Now, assuming I can mount the license plate to the rack itself, I just need a battery powered LED light. Now the problem is: do I have to remember to turn the thing on and off? A daylight sensor would keep it off in daytime, but it would be on even when parked if I don't remember to turn it off...

How easy is it to run a wire down and maybe out the storage compartment hatch - or put a connector in or near the hatch? Are there diagrams somewhere which show the routing of these wires?

Or maybe the easiest is figure how to connect a wire to the existing license plate light and route it down? Easier, but less elegant.

Charlie
aircampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:23 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by aircampr View Post
Brian, great idea to use battery-powerd LED light.

Regarding the tail/brake lights, I think they are high enough to be above the wheels. But I don't own a rack yet, so maybe I will take a look by holding a bike at bumper level. I can't do that right away, as our Bambi is in for service. Any A/S bike rack owners out there?

Thanks all for good ideas and discussion.

Charlie
Without a bike bag..or cover...I think you're fine. It's the bag that creates a problem with obscuring the taillights.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That, I Suspect would be a bigger issue, as it affects safety. I could see tickets for that one.
I always used a bike cover on my old SOB, but the lights were far enough apart that they weren't covered. With the AS, I think it would've been a problem. That's why I went with the Arvika Tongue rack.

I just hate cleaning up the bikes when carried without a cover.

Attachment 157367

Guess I've just been lucky - been carrying bikes on the front of our two vehicles for 15 years and never a problem (yet!) with law enforcement.

When I first started doing it I was a bit nervous about the legality, but over the years I have had so many police cars approach me, pass me, drive in front of me, and so far none have chosen to take exception.

Technically I'm sure you could make an issue that carrying bikes up front blocks lights to some extent, and also I suppose visibility. I can see the handlebars and seats just barely sticking up above the line of the hood.

I actually like that because I can always confirm that the bikes are riding properly up there and not coming loose on the rack!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Guess I've just been lucky - been carrying bikes on the front of our two vehicles for 15 years and never a problem (yet!) with law enforcement.

When I first started doing it I was a bit nervous about the legality, but over the years I have had so many police cars approach me, pass me, drive in front of me, and so far none have chosen to take exception.

Technically I'm sure you could make an issue that carrying bikes up front blocks lights to some extent, and also I suppose visibility. I can see the handlebars and seats just barely sticking up above the line of the hood.

I actually like that because I can always confirm that the bikes are riding properly up there and not coming loose on the rack!

Brian.
Yup, once again, it's pretty much up to the discretion of the individual LEO. Unless you're really obscuring the lighting (HLs and TL/BLs) like with a solid bike bag cover, they pretty much leave RVers alone.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Relocating a license plate to the rear window frame

Open the rear window. Mark where you want to drill two holes on the inside frame. Drill two holes and then screw the license plate to the window frame. Close the rear window.

We have towed our AS for 40,000 miles in the past 6 years and have never been stopped for not having a light but one could be easily installed.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Adding a license plate frame to my back rack

I have the new bike rack installed on the back of my airstream. I am concerned that in the current location, that I could get pulled over for blocking the plate.

I just bought a license plate frame with a LED light that I am going to mount on the bike rack.

I want to wire it with some sort of quick disconnect connection to the existing license light.

Anybody have any ideas on what would work best?

Thanks,

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
Bike rack license plate bracket with LED light

I will post the pictures in a couple of weeks after I get the parts and fabricate the license plate bracket.

I purchased a LED license plate bracket, a 12v Remote control rechargeable battery (like for a RC Car) and a battery charger.

I am going to mount the bracket on the bike rack, with a quick disconnect for the wire connection. I am going to keep the battery box in the rear bumper.

The battery is relatively small, and is often used on dirt bikes to light license plates, horn and turn signals.

Again...pictures in a couple of weeks.

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
I am confused over the concern with the bikes blocking the license plates; there are hundreds of thousands of receiver-type racks and bumper racks on passenger cars and trucks throughout the country, and are not a problem. Most of the bike racks out there are rear mounted racks.

Technically, you can get a ticket if your license plate is obscured, As a practical matter, it does not seem to be a priority. I called our local bike shop and he said that he has never heard of anyone getting a ticket for obscuring the license plate because of a bike rack.

Having the rack on the back of a trailer is no different than having the bike on the back of a vehicle, IMHO.

I have used a Thule receiver bike rack for 15 years, and now have the Fiamma rack on the Airstream. I will continue to live on the edge of the law and use it.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Steamy1, I feel the same as you, is this a solution to a problem which doesn't exist? I do have an Airstream Bike Rack installed by the dealer on my trailer and the two major problems I found, assuming the dealer installed the rack correctly are:

1. My rear storage door would not open fully, fixed when I picked up the trailer by asking them to drill another mounting hole.

2. And more important when the longer holding arm is on the top of the rack the back window can't open fully it hits the mount. The rear window of the trailer is the emergency exit, if you slide the arm to the side all is ok. Think about this when you move your plate. I may move mine as I can see it being an issue if the Police are looking for a reason to pull you over would like to hear from anyone who has this happen.

Not all trailers are the same, just check your emergency exits.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Tom, is there a storage compartment in the rear of the 27' FB? I grabbed power for my rear view camera from the compartment light. Tapped the hot side and added a connector to a pig tail, just plug in the camera to the pigtail when I hit the road, don't even use a switch. BTW I had the camera mounted on the bike rack which was when I discovered the problem with the window hitting the bike rack. On my previous trailer I powered the camera from the existing license plate light, turning on the lights turned on the camera.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Jim,
Thanks for the alert on opening the rear emergency window. I will certainly take a look at this when I retrieve the trailer out of storage and load the bikes. I think it will be fine if I position the inside bike with the handlebars on the left.

I am able to fully open the storage door, and even put my two 5-gallon water containers in there. Not quite as convenient as without the rack, but livable.

Here is a picture of my rack;
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AirstreamBikeRack_2.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	181069  
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #38
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
I have the same bike rack on my 23' International. 1) In all my years ( Older than Dirt) of carrying bikes on the back of my cars and trucks with a wide variety of plate obscuring racks, and now my AS I have never been stopped because of an obscured license plate. 2) However, I guess as we get older we get more careful so, while recently in the US to avoid any possibility of hassle I removed the plate and stuck it on the inside of my back window with suction ccups where it is readily and easily seen.