Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2016, 09:11 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Charlottesville , Virginia
AGM Batteries

I am thinking about replacing the two batteries that came in my 2015 28 foot FC Airstream Trailer to AGM batteries. I am looking for suggestions of what brand to purchase and what the pros and cons are of making this change? Let me hear your thoughts if you are knowledgeable about batteries!
Charlottesville, VA
Ed Brownfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Boca Raton , Florida
Just had 2 Lifeline AMG 6V 300Ah batteries installed from the outside battery box to inside in my 2014 28' FC.
Lifeline batteries are sold by AM Solar. Look on their website for specs and pricing. We plan to eventually go with solar panels on the roof. Trojan batteries are good also.
Joohntooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:59 AM   #3
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Lifeline's are a good popular brand. Unless shipping is free do a google search for a Lifeline dealer/distributor that is located close to you.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Lifelines are made by Concord, and are excellent batteries. I have had four of them on my boat for several years. I recently purchased 2 8D Deka brand made by East Penn Manufacturing. They were roughly half the price of Lifelines with very close to the same amp hour rating. You can probably find a Deka dealer in your area to have delivered there, and pick them up.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
As it happens, I've just replaced the two Group 24 batteries that came with my 2016 27 Flying Cloud with two Group 27 AGM batteries. Yes, I would have liked to have bought Lifeline batteries, but I found another brand on eBay that was substantially less expensive: $160 each with free shipping, for a total of $320 for the pair. Lifeline Group 27s are typically $300-320 each, often plus a substantial shipping charge.

One downside is that I didn't see how to install two Group 27s in the battery box that came with the trailer. Consequently, I mounted them in the storage area under the queen bed & rerouted the battery cables, which turned out to be a pretty simple job. I've removed the threaded rod in the battery box, which has now become an additional, if small, storage area.

In response to your post, I revisited the eBay site selling the batteries:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-100ah-SL...kAAOSwa-dWjtyO

but found that its seller, a solar company, has increased the price of the batteries, from $160 to $200, decreasing their attractiveness somewhat relative to the price of Lifeline batteries.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Do they have the same 5 year warranty that Lifeline offers??

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Do they have the same 5 year warranty that Lifeline offers??

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
Just out of curiosity, what is the 5yr warranty? I couldn't find it.

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/warranty.php
Old 02-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Look for Rolls batteries, nine finer!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the 5yr warranty? I couldn't find it.

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/warranty.php
Gee, in my world, 60 months is equivalent to 5 years…..no? Have they changed the basic concepts of math lately? 1 year full replacement and 4 years of pro-rated replacement….or do you not consider prorated replacement to be 'warranty'.

Just wondering??????
Old 02-07-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
from eBay:

Product Highlights

UL Listed AGM Deep Cycle Battery with full 1 year warranty
Sealed non-spillable construction
Manufactured using 99.995% pure lead yields an extremely low self-discharge rate
AGM batteries provide superior performance and longevity compared to standard lead acid batteries
Ideally suited for all off-grid, back-up power, and power supply applications
Note: BattaMax Batteries are manufactured using Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) technology. WindyNation’s BattaMax batteries arrive pre-charged, however, it is recommended that the battery is charged to approximately 13.8 VDC before initial use as batteries will slowly self discharge over time.

More than likely made in China too……….

………….and who administers their warranty…..eBay?? or their national dealer network???
Old 02-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Brownfield View Post
I am thinking about replacing the two batteries that came in my 2015 28 foot FC Airstream Trailer to AGM batteries. I am looking for suggestions of what brand to purchase and what the pros and cons are of making this change? Let me hear your thoughts if you are knowledgeable about batteries!
If you're looking for differing opinions, then save your hard, earned money. Flooded batteries cost 1/2 the price as AGMs and can last just as long with proper care.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #12
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
True on the flooded but you can't use then in the interior of the trailer where Alta & Richard did his install.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
Just my 2 cents, a charger that does a poor charging process will cause any battery to go bad. There are plenty of threads about finding a good charger. In my opinion the linear charger/power supply that came with my 1986 is not a good charger.

The key for charging lead acid batteries is return the battery to 100% of charge which means the one of the important features of a good charging process is to monitoring the battery temperature to determine the correct charged voltage. When using you battery do not discharge below 50%.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Gee, in my world, 60 months is equivalent to 5 years…..no? Have they changed the basic concepts of math lately? 1 year full replacement and 4 years of pro-rated replacement….or do you not consider prorated replacement to be 'warranty'.

Just wondering??????
LOL doah, got me. Guess my brain wasn't working.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
I purchased a VmaxTanks AGM battery through Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o06_s00
So far so good.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:35 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Thank you to everyone who replied to my original post! I want to install the batteries that I finally purchase in the battery storage box that is mounted on the A frame by the LP tanks. I am confused as to whether to replace my wet cell batteries with AGM batteries or with another set of standard wet cell batteries. I store my 2015 FC in a storage facility with no electricity so slow discharging AGM's would be nice. I like the idea of no maintenance and the slow discharge that AGM batteries offer, the price of $250-$300 per battery is a deterrent. What should I do? What brand of either type should I purchase? Where do I get the best price?
Charlottesville, VA
Old 02-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Pleasanton , California
I'd go with flooded batteries and either remove the negative battery terminal before storing your trailer or add a disconnect switch to make this easier.

Here's some recent recomendations for batteries.

On page 3 of this thread you'll find info regarding the disconnect switch if you're interested.
ProPride Hitch, 400 W Solar
alano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:09 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Upgrade Converter

Would recommend replacing the factory installed Parallax converter to a multi-stage converter. This alone will ensure that your batteries (AGM or flooded) last longer and provide peak performance. I just replaced the factory installed Interstates with AGM to include a new PD4655 converter. Next up... SOLAR!
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:10 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ok fellow AS'ers here my newest dilemma in buying new batteries for our AS. Someone posted that Interstate Batteries and now carried at Costco so I went to Costco to check it out. I trust Costco but there is a difference in Costco Interstate Batteries and the ones that came with my AS. The two Interstate Batteries that came in by 2015 28ft. FC are Deep Cycle Marine/RV batteries and have the following information written on them - part number SRM 24, Marine Cranking AMPS 690, Reserve Capacity 140 the. The batteries at Costco say Marine RV/Fitment Code 13 Group Size 24DC, CCA 550, 140 Reserve Capacity. They only have a one year warranty vs. the two year warranty that the Interstate Batteries that came with the RV have and the Cold Cranking AMPS on the one that came with the AS are 690 CCA vs the ones at Costco which are only 550 CCA. I'm stymied and don't know whether to buy the ones at Costco (seem like a great value $73/each or go to an Interstate Store and purchase the exact same batteries like I already have at a much higher price. How much difference does 140 CCA make? One other difference is that my Interstate Batteries have Green label on them and the ones at Costco have a blue label. Can someone help me with this?
Charlottesville, VA
Old 02-20-2016, 07:53 PM   #20
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
One downside is that I didn't see how to install two Group 27s in the battery box that came with the trailer. Consequently, I mounted them in the storage area under the queen bed & rerouted the battery cables, which turned out to be a pretty simple job. I've removed the threaded rod in the battery box, which has now become an additional, if small, storage area.
I just purchased 2 new group 27s to replace my 24s (lifelines). Here is how you can install 2 group 27s in the standard battery box. Installing lead acid batteries inside the coach without external venting is a no-no (evening if they are sealed AGMs / maintenance free):

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...on-133372.html
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote