Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2003, 09:41 AM   #1
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Cool A "stupid" question.

Now that we have enjoyed our Safari for the past 3 months or so, I am curious as to what, if anything, is under the "seat" in the shower? If it is empty, how difficult would it be to put an access door on the outside and use this space for storage?

Anyone have any ideas? I can't believe Airstream would leave such a valuable storage spot empty!

Thanks in advance - really enjoy this forum as I have gleaned a lot of useful (and some useless) information from it.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
My mh just had some plywood for support but it also has a rib where the acces would have to be. It would be easier (on mine) to get at it from inside.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 09:53 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Re: A "stupid" question.

Quote:
Originally posted by kamadeca
Now that we have enjoyed our Safari for the past 3 months or so, I am curious as to what, if anything, is under the "seat" in the shower? If it is empty, how difficult would it be to put an access door on the outside and use this space for storage?
Probably not very practical from the outside. Doesn't look like a whole lot of space on the floorplan and any access door would be on the curved end cap.

If I could assure myself that the space was truly unobstructed, I would be more tempted to devise a watertight cubby on the inside for things such as wet shower shoes. If there is an unused space, I am pretty certain to make use of it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
If there is an unused space, I am pretty certain to make use of it.
It is amazing when you start poking around how much unused storage space is in a rv. If the engineers would build a prototype without the shell they would work harder to make more of this useable.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 11:55 AM   #5
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Say, that IS stupid

kidding!!

I was thinking the same thing about my old safari, which has a shower with a seat in the back corner of the trailer. its like the "dead space" in a corner cabinet. There's not much in there, (some plumbing, which could be re-configured) and it also isn't very easy to access. I think they should have put an access door on the outside, myself.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 12:34 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
But...if you use the shower, accessing it from the inside might not be such a hot idea.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
No such thing as a "stupid" question...

Several models of the older trailers have cabinets in the shower areas without a problem. The '65 Caravel is the first model that comes to mind...it has the center "wet-bath" shower configuration and the cupboards are water tight. Check out this '65 Caravel and you'll see an example.

You can also find water tight cabinet doors in marine catalogs that could be easily retro-fit. Here's one

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:03 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by InsideOut
You can also find water tight cabinet doors in marine catalogs that could be easily retro-fit.Shari
Exactly the sort of approach I would take. I love marine stores; for anything waterproof, that is where I start.

I already have a deck plate in the plywood under my mattress to give access to the terminal block where the umbilical comes in. It was in my shop from my sailboat days.
WBCCI #9632
Old 07-31-2003, 02:31 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
That space is not totally empty

During some other work on my '02 19' Bambi, I could see all the way to the back wall (ie the rear of the trailer) of the shower area under the seat area. (the Bambi has the identical bed/bath setup) The black water tank goes all the way from the right edge of the area under the toilet to the back wall and sets partially in the belly pan and partly in the area under the shower seat. There IS a small amount of dead space though. You can get an idea of the dead space by noting the difference in height between the raised area under the shower control and the seat height. The space gained is going to be small and may not be worth the cost or effort.
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 08:35 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
David --when you were poking around in the back shower area did you happen to see the 30 amp electric cord? I'm trying to locate where it is & I'm thinking that it comes in under the flooring.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2003, 07:26 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
A.E.
I will have our Bambi here at the house early next week as we are attending the VAC Rocky Mnt Rally. I will double check, but if my memory serves me right, I did NOT see the electrical umbilical in the bath/lavatory area, which would mean that it probably runs in the belly pan and then enters under the electrical panel. I can check this easily as I opened the area beside the 120V breaker panel for installation of my solar controller and battery telemetry hardware, so I can feel and see behind the 120 breaker. I will give it a look and let you know.

I have been thinking about changing out the hardwired umbilical for a marine shore power connector like A/S is now putting on ALL A/Ss. My thinking is to have the local A/S certified service center cut the interior and exterior skins and then I will do the installation.
Air Forums # 2159
WBCCI # 7548
Old 08-01-2003, 07:14 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Thanks David--somewhere I heard that "good minds think alike" . Not so sure with mine, as the wife keeps wondering if I'm in my right mind, with this trailer thing. What you are thinking of doing is the reason I was asking the question on the line location. We will be going to Jackson this Fall for the rally. I need to call ahead for a fan installation, so thought I would see if they would cut the hole in the Bambi, for the side connection. That's the only thing I have a problem doing. Thanks again for the info.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

Old 08-01-2003, 07:25 PM   #13
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbw
I have been thinking about changing out the hardwired umbilical for a marine shore power connector like A/S is now putting on ALL A/Ss. My thinking is to have the local A/S certified service center cut the interior and exterior skins and then I will do the installation.
I infer from this that you have the pull-out service cable. The marine-connector removable cable is a great idea. Fortunately, the 22' Internationals have the marine connector. If mine did not, I would have modified it long before now.

I modified both of my former SOB trailers (Scamp and TrailManor) with marine connectors I bought at West Marine to have a "free" cable. I hated to lose the space within the trailer and I hated to push a wet dirty cable into the trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-01-2003, 07:42 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
If I would go with the Marine type connection, then I also would hard wire & install a Surge/GD Fault,etc, on the ledge in the "small" wardrobe closet. That way I wouldn't have to be concerned of it growing legs & moving on.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

Old 08-01-2003, 07:58 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
120V cable in bumper

John,
A/S now uses marine shore power connectors on the whole fleet but at least in '02, the Bambi was hardwire and the cable is stored in compartment in the rear bumper. At least this is does not involve it going into any interior area on the Bambi, but I totally agree that the removable marine type connection is far superior. With all the other things that I have done to the Bambi, this has not been a priority, but I want to get it done. Looks like A.E. and I have been thinking the same thing all along on this matter.
Air Forums # 2159
WBCCI # 7548
Old 08-01-2003, 08:06 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Surge Protector installation

A.E.
There is MORE than adequate room to install an surge protector in the area below the wardrobe (beside the 120V breaker panel). This would leave what little wardrobe we have on the Bambi units intact. Like you, my plan was to install a permanent surge protector/auto transformer when I do the marine shore power upgrade. I did some quick measurements awhile back and I think there is room for the 30amp Hughs Autotransformer/surge protector in that area. When I bring the Babmi home for the trip next week, I will take those measurements again and post the info.
Air Forums # 2159
WBCCI # 7548