Old 10-12-2004, 09:51 PM   #113
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Uwe

Looks great - I talked to Airparts, and they said the 6061 is very hard to work with - I ordered some 5052 for the belly - they say its easier to work with - maybe not?

Ken

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 10:28 PM   #114
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Ken,
It's definitely a tough material. I do like it for the straight sections, as it is easy to attach due to it's strength. It's not too bad for the curves, just more challenging. Now that my fingers are starting to heal, I might even go back to it for a few hours...
I do not know what 5052 feels like.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #115
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Winter Progress Report

Well, it's been a while since I last posted to this thread, and lots of small stuff has been done, and some big chapters have been finished.

Floor replacement: Done. Shell is partially attached again, awaiting sheet replacement and more help with bucking rivets. Floor insulation is applied everywhere but under the step.

Frame repairs and modifications: Done. The welding, grinding, burning, blinding and cutting phase is over, everything has a double coat of POR15. Looks nice down there... What's left for the welder is the propane bottle bracket and some mods to enclose the C-channel at the tongue for future ease of hitch component installation.

Belly pan: outer sections done, inner parts go on later, after plumbing and wiring is finished.

Tank installation: Done! ( yesterday) Grey tank and fresh tank are now securely part of the trailer, black tank came in last week, and is a perfect fit.
The fresh and grey tanks fit snugly in the planned recesses inside the frame structure, and the finished installation ( less plumbing so far) looks like I wanted it to look: integral and sleek. Nothing sticks down more than 2 inches so far, and I've got 55gal fresh and 55gal grey, approximately, give or take a few. The new black tank holds about 20gal, and is a perfect fit as well.

I am getting ready to measure for new axles, so that I can finish the hydraulic installation for the planned disc brake axles. The electro-hydraulic actuator will reside in the bottom of a future closet, right above the axles, one hydraulic line going to the floor, and then split off to mweet junction blocks on both sides. From the junction blocks to the calipers, I am thinking stainless braided lines. ( need a source, btw.)

I am working on a wiring plan over the weekend, as well as a plumbing plan. The plumbing will be in place tomorrow where it connects to the tanks, the ends sticking out of the floor awaiting the interior to be finished. Maybe I'll do a loose fit for everything, and glue things together as I go along. Note to self: learn all about PEX...! I am quite unfamiliar with plumbing procedures - and am open to suppestions on what to use. Have not purchased much yet.

I am behind on picture taking, but the last few month of work were messy and very dangerous to a digital camera. Will take some pics later of the finished areas and post to this thread.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:47 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Uwe

I'm really excited to hear your progress - got me thinking I need to update my 58 restoration thread - pex is supposed to be pretty easy - I'm going to learn that too next summer. Also sounds like your catching up to me - I'm kinda stuck due to winter. Up to my eyeballs in snow.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-07-2005, 11:15 PM   #117
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Images

Here are a few pictures of recent work. More to come.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2579 copy.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	10007   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2580 copy.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	10008  

Name:	DSCN2581 copy.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	10009   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2600 copy.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	10010  

Name:	DSCN2602 copy.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	10011   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2603 copy.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	10012  

Name:	DSCN2604 copy.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	10013   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2605 copy.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	10014  

Old 01-07-2005, 11:37 PM   #118
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
My e-bay treasure

I won this Par-Jabsco pump on e-bay a few weeks ago and finally got around to rebuilding it. It will take care of the water supply needs of this trailer. i thought it to be more fun than a modern cylindrical pump.
I really like those Jabsco pumps for their quality and functionality.
This one has dual dampning chambers to avoid water hammer noises with the pump running, a common problem.
The parts to rebuild these are readily available at Marine Supply stores, such as West Marine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2608 copy.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	10015   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2609 copy.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	10016  

Old 01-08-2005, 08:09 AM   #119
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Looks great!

Looking good there Uwe! I saw that pump too a couple of weeks ago and smiled - I have to take a good look at mine - it may be simular. What section of West Marine do you look at for parts - I'd like to rebuild mine too.

PEX - I don't remember the month, but I did check out a "Fine Homebuilding" Magazine from the library about a month ago that had a nice overview of the different types of PEX connectors and tools needed to do the job. Depending on manufacturer, there are different types of connectors to use, and the corresponding tools make the job easier (or harder). I got the impression that one could rent the tools as some of the better German units are more expensive to buy. I'm sure you're familiar with it, but my Brother in law used it in his new house in Germany (I love how solid those houses are, by the way).

Keep us posted!
Marc
P.S. - I'm jealous of the Baja pictures. I may make a trip down there this summer though with the family and my nephew from Germany (age 16) - he loves the U.S. and stays with us every summer.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:10 AM   #120
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Looking good there Uwe! I saw that pump too a couple of weeks ago and smiled - I have to take a good look at mine - it may be simular. What section of West Marine do you look at for parts - I'd like to rebuild mine too.

PEX - I don't remember the month, but I did check out a "Fine Homebuilding" Magazine from the library about a month ago that had a nice overview of the different types of PEX connectors and tools needed to do the job. Depending on manufacturer, there are different types of connectors to use, and the corresponding tools make the job easier (or harder). I got the impression that one could rent the tools as some of the better German units are more expensive to buy. I'm sure you're familiar with it, but my Brother in law used it in his new house in Germany (I love how solid those houses are, by the way).

Keep us posted!
Marc
P.S. - I'm jealous of the Baja pictures. I may make a trip down there this summer though with the family and my nephew from Germany (age 16) - he loves the U.S. and stays with us every summer.

Marc,
here is a link to WestMarine's website page containing the repair kits.
Let me know what you need,I have leftovers. You might then only need to buy the valves and diaphragm.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...27&storeNum=11

Baja is a must do, especially with children. Camping by the beach is something they'll never forget.
The building trade in Germany is a whole other world from US. Makes my house here look like only a template for a real house.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:13 AM   #121
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
You are really making headway Uwe. Looking good. When It came time for my plumbing redo, I chose PEX for several reasons. One being its ease of installation. I found all the parts I needed at West Marine. I decided not to purchase the special wrench and used a pliers. These connections don't have to be torqued down, just tight. When I turned the water on, only had one small leak at the cold connection at the bathtub. Just needed tightening down a little more. If I ever redo another vintage unit (I hope so) I will use PEX again. Its good stuff.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 11:10 PM   #122
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
More rivets!

Made a bit more headway today, got all the rivets on the streetside bucked in. Found an all new, more useful side of my wife, she's quite riveting with a bucking bar....
Also went to the RV Supply in Irvine on the way to the shop, and picked up some RV specific plumbing fittings to get that project started as well.
I think putting together is much more fun than taking apart and repairing. So, all of you that are still tearing and repairing, there IS light at the end of the tunnel, and it ain't a freight train.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:43 AM   #123
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Yessssss! You turned Didi into Rosie the Riveter! I ordered all my rivet stuff yesterday - so in a week or so Ellyn (my wife) and I - will be Rosie too!

Ordering stuff and spending money was a good thing to do on a VERY snowy day yesterday.

So tell us - how much did you guys have to practice before you got the hang of it and how long did it take you to do the street side?

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #124
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J

So tell us - how much did you guys have to practice before you got the hang of it and how long did it take you to do the street side?

Ken
Well, it took 3 rivets on 2 scrap pieces of aluminum for her to get the hang of the basics of bucking rivets.
It did take, however, a good 30 minutes of gently convincing her to do it MY way, not hers.

It took approximately 4 hours total from the entry door around to the streetside rear corner, just before the bumper. 2 hours the other day with Murray, and 2 hours yesterday with Didi.
The complication yesterday was the wheel well getting lined up to match the holes in the skin. I ended up using my floor jack and short 2x4's to make the metal meet the requirements.
The supporting floor in this trailer was gone for so long, that the wheel wells were buckled from the tension of the sagging shell.
I also had to slightly lift and support the rear frame section to make the channel ride up to the proper level on the inside of the shell.

I am guessing that upon final inspection some 10 or so rivets will have to be removed and re-installed. Some of them mushroomed a bit, others got a groove from the air tool shank slipping to one side.

Taking a break today from the trailer, will have to buy a few tools later, but no work today. I found out that I need a 3 or 4 inch holesaw for the plumbing installation. My biggest one is 2.75in. Too small for the grey tank grommets to fit through. I will take some pictures of everything next week.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:23 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Only 30 minutes? Gosh I figure it will take us a lot longer that that
Rally
restoration rally
Old 01-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #126
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I found out that I need a 3 or 4 inch holesaw for the plumbing installation. My biggest one is 2.75in. .
Uwe:
Sounds like ' a buckin' good time was had by all' !
I have 3" and 3.25" hole saws. Don't buy those sizes- and remember, most of those rivits are under the rubrail so only YOU will know which ones are not perfect!

AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote