Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #1041
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Stunning! and you deserve it

Wow, Steve, just catching up. The Overlander is jaw-droppingly gorgeous. Love the colors, they all work. Love the curtains. Love the wood. And the Zolatone. And Collin's grin, that says it all. You've got the functional showpiece that you've been seeking for all these years. I'm so happy for you and Amy.

We've GOT to go camping again! Hey, with you having an Area 63 original and mine waiting in line there, in a way we will still have Airstream "brothers" in the end.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #1042
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
New Battery and Working with Fluid dynamics

One of the most important things to us when it came to buying a trailer, was that everything be in working order, and there not be any bad problems not needing immediate repair. Uwe told me that the AGM battery in the trailer was getting old and should be replaced. He did however charge it before he brought it to New Mexico, and felt we could get another year out of it. On our 1st trip after getting it home, we noticed the lights flickering a lot, but thought nothing of it until it happened for the entire next day. After a few minutes with Westfalia's multimeter, we figured out that the lights were dimming due to the charge wizard turning on. The battery was only holding a 12v charge for around 20-30 seconds before the drop was enough to turn the charge wizard on. Not in the market for a $400 battery, I was able to located an Optima blue top series 34 AGM for $100. I know that many people don't like these batteries, but after having one in the last trailer, we really like them. The new battery hooked up with no issues and voila...power issue solved.

Three weeks ago, we were hit with a huge amount of rainfall on a camping trip that left us with a very large amount of water inside the trailer. This was a shocker to us as we didn't notice any water infiltration during our trip back to Texas from New Mexico despite it raining every night. Perhaps it was just that the amount of rain was so much that it finally made it through. Contributing to the issue was that there was no real gasket on the rear hatch. I remedied this by adding a side by side layer of D gasket from Lowes before testing.

Owning a Seal Tech Leak testing machine is a wonderful thing. The only problem was that the machine was up in Harker Heights being used at Top's Texas Vintage Trailers. Last weekend I was able to get it back, and today I finally had a chance to do the test. I cannot say I am surprised by what I found, but I did not expect this when Uwe reported no water infiltration, and we had no water during our return trip.

The full album of pictures can be seen here, but I have posted some good ones.

Between window frames

Around water heater

Window

Window 2

Bathroom exhaust

Seam

Rear window from both corners and both lights

Rear curbside window

Front window

During the rain we had a large amount of rain enter from the jalousie window, but I really cannot find an exact point from which the water in entering into the window. It fills up the frame and spills down the wall. Anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this?
Old 10-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #1043
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Man, that machine sure is cool. And while I love jalousie windows, well . . . .

Was the nature of the rain quite heavy in a short period? The last SS trailer would admit water at one window in such. My surmise was that the volume (weight; amount standing on roof) was the culprit. Depended on how I levelled the trailer where the water ran. More rain over a longer period didn't produce the same effect (amount of problem, although problem still existed).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:17 PM   #1044
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Red,

"Supposedly" we received 2-4 inches overnight, but the following day the rain was scattered and not nearly as heavy while still allowing water to come in.

Steve
Old 10-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #1045
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
So, versus going down the road, the time the water is on the trailer seems to have an effect?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #1046
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Current issues to ponder.

Recently I was sent a coaxial crimping tool by Uwe to cap off the wire he had set up for cable in the trailer. He never ended up crimping it due to never feeling the need to use cable in the trailer. The crimper worked flawlessly, and I verified that everything worked well after borrowing a TV to test the connections. With where the coax cable is located (under the curbside cabinets near the fridge), we are trying to figure out where to place the television. The obvious spot is under the shelf in the picture since there is a power outlet. I do worry that plugging in here will look rather sloppy since the cord will hang down.

Another thing I am deciding on is audio for the TV. Uwe installed a Bose Acoustimass 3, with wiring going to the head unit. The issue is that the head unit is all the way up in the overhead cabinet. I would really like to have the TV hooked into the Bose, so I am deciding on whether to either relocate the front Alpine head unit to the cabinet under where the television will go, or to install a new head unit under the cabinet. Since our antenna hooks up in the front cabinet, I would have to install a new antenna somewhere on the side of the trailer.

On another note, I have seen no evidence of water infiltration after adding new gaskets, and sealing areas found during my leak test.
Old 01-07-2021, 07:46 PM   #1047
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
A valuable thread after all this time. Great job Uwe, as always. To bad Soldier Medics photos didn't keep with the changeover. We also met Uwe in ABQ at Vintage Rally.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:54 AM   #1048
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Uwe is one of my best friends and he does incredible work - he has done some really amazing restorations
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:15 AM   #1049
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Hello Ken, we whole heartedly agree. We have one of his projects (getting ready to sell it). I was like a kid in a candy store during a visit to Area 63. Met you at the same rally. I was rereading Uwe's thread as we're looking at another 62 and were reminded of his great sense of humor.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote