Old 05-28-2006, 11:45 PM   #715
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Uwe;

Hi there!

How necessary is the piece of aluminum referenced in your post #80, the sheet of aluminum over the step but under the floor? We can still put it in, we haven't bolted the floor to the frame yet. We're doing the front section tomorrow but not that far back. The step is under another a separate piece of wood from the one we're bolting down tomorrow. Is it a bad thing not to do it?

Old 05-28-2006, 11:48 PM   #716
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
Question, How long do you think the line of trailers waiting to be polished will get?
Don
At some point it will probably cause a huge traffic jam on the I-5 N, reaching Sacramento first, then eventually LA.

Old 05-28-2006, 11:49 PM   #717
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Uwe;

Hi there!

How necessary is the piece of aluminum referenced in your post #80, the sheet of aluminum over the step but under the floor? We can still put it in, we haven't bolted the floor to the frame yet. We're doing the front section tomorrow but not that far back. The step is under another a separate piece of wood from the one we're bolting down tomorrow. Is it a bad thing not to do it?
Hello Ingrid,

It is important, as it protects the underside of the plywood from moisture and road spray. Don't leave it out.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:01 AM   #718
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Thanks. What did you use to attach it? Looks like some kind of glue...
Old 05-29-2006, 07:09 AM   #719
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
At some point it will probably cause a huge traffic jam on the I-5 N, reaching Sacramento first, then eventually LA.
Uwe, I'll keep you posted so you can be first in line!
Can you give me information in a PM on who and how you were able to get the full sample kit from Zolatone. I would like to ad a similar group to my library.
Thanks Don
Old 05-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #720
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Thanks. What did you use to attach it? Looks like some kind of glue...
Good old Vulkem and Rivets. A few on each side is good enough. This is not a strctural part, just sort of a moisture shield for the floor.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:39 AM   #721
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe

Well, there are "a few" of us up here in the Pac NW who might drop by too.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 01:58 PM   #722
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Good old Vulkem and Rivets. A few on each side is good enough. This is not a strctural part, just sort of a moisture shield for the floor.
Cool, I get to use my rivet gun.

email me when you get a chance, let me know how you're doing. We're making serious progress on the trailer. (That's my serious face) Got some bolts in around the outside of the shell. I'm a little worried about getting the banana wrap and belly pan back on, because it goes underneath the shell, ja?

Almost done with die blode Fenstern too.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:37 PM   #723
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Cool, I get to use my rivet gun.

email me when you get a chance, let me know how you're doing. We're making serious progress on the trailer. (That's my serious face) Got some bolts in around the outside of the shell. I'm a little worried about getting the banana wrap and belly pan back on, because it goes underneath the shell, ja?

Almost done with die blode Fenstern too.
Ingred, I used rivets and Sikaflex, similar to Uwe. Be sure to get the sikaflex/vulkem in the right places. It can cause big problems when trying to make the new wood floor fit correctly if the adhesive sets before the wood is in its proper position (ask me how I know this!).

Fenstern, I thought you got that window fixed? Bitte, Was ist blode? Blonde?!

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #724
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Uwe, sorry to go off topic on your wicked cool thread.

Blöd means "stupid" in German. Or something like that. I have all windows gasket-ed, waiting for one more window to come from VTS, and one Lexan with the scratch resistant yada yada for the front...I also need to finish cleaning up various mechanisms and window frame corners, lube up everything, and and we're done!

I get to rip up more floor, next. We didn't bolt down the floor where we forgot to put the aluminum piece, so we're going to still put that piece in. Shouldn't be a big deal, but the windows weren't supposed to be either!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:04 PM   #725
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Schpeaking of windows,
I now have the gaskets on 2 out of 7 windows, and the glazing bead on one of them. The front window glass promptly got broken by yours truly while trying to get the glass off the frame. So, off to the glass shop, 3/16th glass panel while I wait ( $ 25.00, not bad) - bring it back and OH NO, it's too thick, and way too heavy. By now the guy knows me and what the glass is for, insists on me using tempered glass. OK, go ahead, glass guy, get the tempered stuff.....not 'til Tuesday.....
In the meantime, i am slowly removing all the windows from their respecive frames, and cleaning up the window cranks etc, and cleaning the frames, polishing the outer frames etc.
On the lighter side, the polishing of the skin is now at the stage where ALL the compounding is done. Some of the skins were already cycloed with C, which is the next step. This is beginning to look really good.
Cloud 55 and myself are trading time on curtains. This means that she is sewing curtains for us, and I am helping her and Mr. Cloud 55 with the floor replacement, equal time for time. I bought all the fabric, and she is painstakingly fabricating beautiful, tight curtains. Today was dry fit for all of them. So far so good, need more G-and T-tabs...many more. Next week will be upholstery time, once the cushions from Knox Foam arrive.
It got up to 95F inside area 63 today, and I turned on the air with it's temporary ducts hanging out the kitchen cabinet...works well so far. At temps over 80, the fantastic fans simply do not move enough air to stay cool, at least not for me.
I am getting this trailer ready for a mega fun 4th of July camping trip with the family, followed by a business trip to Austin TX with the Airstream in tow. Can't wait to hit the road and take advantage of all the systems.
There's still lots of work to be done to completely finish this project, so don't you think for a second that his thread is nearing it's end........
Old 06-16-2006, 10:13 PM   #726
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Uwe,I've been doing windows along with many other things. Trying to get finished for a 4th rally in Silver Falls OR. If you remember I broke a window also. I'm just finishing up with the last one. Of all the things to do on the trailer. I've liked doing the window the least. Tomorrow I should finish the last. Question how are you handling the corners of molding in the window it's self and the molding in the window frame? I've been sharing pictures and thoughts with Cloud55. I'm still just looking at my Cloud.
Enjoy the 4th.
Don
Old 06-16-2006, 10:22 PM   #727
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Don,

I installed the gasket with a kink in each corner. My plan is to bevel the corners with a razor blade, once I find the appropriate glue to mend the corners together. I used scissors to miter the glazing bead.
Did you use 1/8in glass to replace the broken pane?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #728
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Don,

I installed the gasket with a kink in each corner. My plan is to bevel the corners with a razor blade, once I find the appropriate glue to mend the corners together. I used scissors to miter the glazing bead.
Did you use 1/8in glass to replace the broken pane?
I used the original thickness of glass 3/32. I was thinking of sealing the corners with Valcum. What do you think? I would think that 1/8 th glass would make the installation of the window seal much harder.