Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #1001
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Ah yes but New Mexico is calling. We just did that route last month on the way to California. Then there are the inspection stops by border patrol and the 55 mph "Safety Corridor". Have no idea that that is besides a ticket trap.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #1002
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I know you have planned the return...but, why not make it an adventure too. come back thru El Paso and then up to Carlsbad ...by way of the Guadalupes (a nice park there and the Park Folks have an Airstream.) The Caverns will be an adventure your Boy will never forget. Then a quick trip home. Keep us up on the trip.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #1003
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
...on Safety Corridors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Ah yes but New Mexico is calling. We just did that route last month on the way to California. Then there are the inspection stops by border patrol and the 55 mph "Safety Corridor". Have no idea that that is besides a ticket trap.

There are two schools of thought regarding the 'Safety Corridor'. Some think it is there because of the high winds that are sometimes created when all the local Chihuahuas eat dessert at the same time. Conspiracy theorists and ufologists believe it exists as a huge x-ray zone to locate aliens that may have been missed by the border patrol. It is common knowledge, however, that aliens prefer Roswell, and probably avoid the Chihuahuan Desert. The 'Safety Corridor', if this is true, would be more effective it were relocated to US380 between Lubbock and Roswell. Either way, the 'Safety Corridor' Zone' is sure to irritate Texans (and many others) on the way to somewhere else.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #1004
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch
I know you have planned the return...but, why not make it an adventure too. come back thru El Paso and then up to Carlsbad ...by way of the Guadalupes (a nice park there and the Park Folks have an Airstream.) The Caverns will be an adventure your Boy will never forget. Then a quick trip home. Keep us up on the trip.
As much as I would love this to be an adventure, I have to work on Monday morning. We planned to get up to white sands before dark today. We also already have paid (non refundable) reservations at our campsite. I agree carlsbad would have been cool, but with towing THIS trailer for the first time, low and slow with caution is my choice.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #1005
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
We have time for the other adventures. Be safe.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #1006
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
We just pulled into the RV park and did a quick set up. Attached are two pics of the bed and sofa. We are in full sun, and the AC unit so far cannot keep up with the heat. I don't have the temp turned all the way up for fear to having ice form on it. We are going to buy some Hatch chiles since they just were harvested, and will grab dinner. If anyone wants to see anything specific We will take some pictures. We have decided to go and get foil bubble insulation to put in the vents, astradome, and windows since the heat entering from them is brutal.

One night here and then off to Fort Stockton tomorrow.

Steve

Old 08-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #1007
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Congrats! I'm very happy for you Steve. Reflectix will make a big difference. Have a safe trip back home.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #1008
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Your O'Lander looks beautiful, and I think Colin agrees. He looks VERY happy, as well he should be. The new paint job made A LOT of diffeence!! Well done.

Have a great trip home, be safe. I look forward to camping with ya'll soon.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #1009
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Crank it up! So what if you get ice. Crank it up!
Old 08-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #1010
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Yesterday was interesting. We originally had reservations to stay in Ft Stockton, Tx but had a change if mind. Amy started the day off with towing for the first time. In El Paso all of I-10 was shut down due to a 9 car pile up. Amy did very well in 45 minute bumper to number traffic with many cars cutting off the truck towing a trailer. We ended up staying at South Llano River State Park, and arrived at around 5 pm. Great campground by the way, and pics to follow. The best part is that we are only 2 hours from home, and we aren't in a rush to get home. It rained last night.....again. so we have had rain all 3 nights on this trip.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #1011
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Soooo, did ya make it home yet? Waiting on some pics of UWE's work of art.

PS, I gotta tornado story about LLano that'll curl yer toes.....

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #1012
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
All home and unpacked. We are still waiting to take the trailer to storage, but I figured I would type this up about the trip. The trailer tows very nicely, all systems work, and we had 3 nights of rain without a single drop inside the trailer. We are happy with almost everything, but still have work to do for it to be completely ready including some wood finishing, adding some magnets on drawers, adding prop arms to the sofa pedestal, and some skin patches. Other than that we are all set to go camping over Labor Day.

Our stay Thursday night at the Days Inn was short (thankfully). Dirty place, rotted wood, human hair left in the bathroom. Don't stay here in Van Horn if you can avoid it.

At least across the street was this nice view.

The next day we got up and made a quick 3 hour drive to Deming, NM. We were ahead of schedule so we stopped at our RV spot for the night in Las Cruces and signed in. I highly recommend the Hacienda RV resort. Nice place, a dog run, hot tub, indoor club area....A+ service. We then proceeded to Deming where we met up with Uwe. I have NO pictures of this time as we were so busy changing the hitch over, going over systems, and transferring the dinette cabinetry to our truck bed. We got back to Las Cruces and parked before hitting dinner out and a trip to Home Depot for Reflectix insulation to put in the windows. Here are pics from the interior.

Dedicated to keeping up with our travel schedule, we set the alarms for 0730 Central time while in New Mexico. We woke up to a beautiful sunrise over the mountains.

We ate quickly and got on the road by 0900 Central time. This time however, it was Amy behind the wheel. Amy has never towed in the 6 years of Airstreaming we have been doing, and it was time to learn. All went well until we were almost out of El Paso. All of I-10 ended up being shut down for a huge accident that occurred hours before. Here is the article on it. I am happy to say that Amy did very well with bumper to bumper traffic and people cutting her off trying to exit the highway. It was a 45 minute detour...it sucked. Once we got back on I-10, we were making good progress and decided to skip staying in Fort Stockton since it was only a couple of hours away, and proceeded to stay at South Llano river State Park. We paid for the campground in Ft. Stockton anyhow, but were very happy to get further down the road. We did hit a very large eastward storm that we could see miles and miles away.

We arrived in Junction, TX around 5 PM and parked. This state park was very beautiful, offered fishing, tubing, and lots of nature. We took a walk, spent an hour at the river, and had dinner. We decided that we would return to the river on Sunday since checkout was at 2, and we were only 2 hours from home...NO RUSHING. This park was great. We love full hookups, but we can tolerate a couple days without sewer. We happened to get a semi shaded spot near the showers. Sunday we got up early and went to the river. We had it all to ourselves until 10 mins before we left. The kids have built dams in 3 of the 4 spillway tunnels creating a very fast run of water. If you lay back, the fast water and algae combo makes it into a horizontal water slide. Unfortunately I am just too heavy to get it to work...next time I'll bring a tube to ensure it works!

Our spot. The trailer shielded the old dinette benches from all the rain that night.

Beautiful looking river

Entering the chute

He wouldn't lay back

I had to stop him before he hit the water.

Amazing to believe that I was VERY tan in the beginning of summer. Starting my new career in nursing has turned me pale as a ghost.

Even the dog had fun.

All in all it was a fast trip that I wish we would have had more time to spend in New Mexico in sites like Carlsbad, White Sands, Silver City, etc. We have a list of things we need to do with the trailer before our labor day trip, but I think it is able to be done. Thanks everyone for watching as we went on this journey.

Steve
Old 08-19-2012, 07:24 PM   #1013
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Steve,
Glad you made it back safely and had a great trip. We look forward to camping with y'all soon!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:43 PM   #1014
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Woo hoo, home at last!

Steve, Amy,
We have a daughter, son in law, and 4 grankids that live in Sonora (just the other side of Junction). Good place to meet them. Been in that little river myself. That is where I found out that kayaking in river current, is much, much more treacherous than kayaking in the placid bays down here around Corpus. Put in our kayaks right where you guys were in the pics and promptly flipped. Twice. I was supposed to be a rescue boat for the kids in case they fell off a tube... They decided they could swim!
Trailer looks great, glad you guys made it home safe and sound!

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #1015
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Thanks Lance and Chuck,

Chuck, you aren't kidding! That water is a real fast mover. Some smaller kids were just shooting down that tunnel. Many people on tubes were tipping as well (made for some great comedy).

Steve
Old 08-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #1016
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Glad you got your baby back and had a little play time. Hope to make some trips with you guys soon.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #1017
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Rich,

We are looking at a little impromptu meet up over labor day around the canyon lake area, or near there. Too far for ya?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #1018
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Rich,

We are looking at a little impromptu meet up over labor day around the canyon lake area, or near there. Too far for ya?
Just found out daughter has soccer tourney in Austin that weekend so that may work. Had also looked at near Natural Bridge Caverns, but wouldn't mind the lake or river.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #1019
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Cool Rich...let me know!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 PM   #1020
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Any ideas on camping locations for next weekend Steve? We will probably head out Friday. Nancy's soccer games will require some time getting her to field near Austin. Things probably booking up. Plan to look at my trailers electrical tomorrow.