uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by moogie32
Uwe, You're an inspiration to us all! Your attention to detail and the craftmanship of your work has definately given me something to strive for!
Thank you for all your helpful hints and great advice.

(Pinkflamingos just told me you're visiting her to help with tank placement. Oh, what I'd give to live closer.... Maybe she'll video tape the session!)
Diane

Thanks for the kind words.

Ingrid bribed me with a home cooked steak dinner....

I will have to go to San Francisco for work in a few weeks, and she's just across the bay. So, it's tanks and steaks.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 PM   #646
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
...and

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Thanks for the kind words.

Ingrid bribed me with a home cooked steak dinner....

I will have to go to San Francisco for work in a few weeks, and she's just across the bay. So, it's tanks and steaks.
And apple pie. Homemade crust.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:30 PM   #647
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Yadda, yadda, yadda...

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #648
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Here a few pictures of the dinette frames. I used the same dimensions as Carlos did on his Safari, only my streetside seat will be a bit longer.
It's basically 28 wide for each seat and 29in for the table, roughly.
The table and curb side seat are 42in long, the street side seat is 52 in long. It will all be covered with 1/4in maple, and the seat bottoms will be 3/8in plywood. I plan on using a 4in foam cushion, 3in urethane and 1in latex on top.
Uwe, do you have thoughts about backrests for your dinette - or will you have a bottom only cushion? I was thinking of having some triangular pieces made to go behind my backrest cushions - they would then be good pillow thingies for the bed set-up. The seats are rather deep, so bringing things forward towards the table with a couple pillows doesn't cause a problem. When they are removed you have the full width of the trailer for the bed. That frame looks good.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:03 AM   #649
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
dinette seats:

that piece thats attached to the wall(s): is that just another piece of 1/2" stock, with "relief" cuts in it to make it flexible enough to follow the curve?

how is it attached to the walls?

are the frames attached to the floors in any way, or just to that "cleat" on the wall?

looks very sharp!
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:15 AM   #650
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
Uwe, do you have thoughts about backrests for your dinette - or will you have a bottom only cushion? I was thinking of having some triangular pieces made to go behind my backrest cushions - they would then be good pillow thingies for the bed set-up. The seats are rather deep, so bringing things forward towards the table with a couple pillows doesn't cause a problem. When they are removed you have the full width of the trailer for the bed. That frame looks good.
I plan on 14x42 backrest cushions, somehow curved against the wall. The cushions then become the center section of the bed with the table leaf dropped down. I was also thinking of some kind of filler beind the cushions, but have not decided yet. I will have to sit on the foam to see how it feels before continuing this thought. I do look forward to all the storage inside these seats though.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:40 AM   #651
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
Hi, I've been watching your thread... a great inspiration!!
I'm also planning to convert to a dinette and am wondering what you'll use for the table leg.

I am also wondering whether there's enough room to do a U booth, I have a 24'... but that table configuration really baffles me! How do you use a center leg that is not wobbly, but can fold down or be removed?

Why do some do the U shape and others the straight accross? Just trying to decide!!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #652
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoiacoast
I'm also planning to convert to a dinette and am wondering what you'll use for the table leg.

I am also wondering whether there's enough room to do a U booth, I have a 24'... but that table configuration really baffles me! How do you use a center leg that is not wobbly, but can fold down or be removed?

Why do some do the U shape and others the straight accross? Just trying to decide!!
Much depends on window placement. My trailer has low slung windows on both sides in the front,which prevent a large dinette seat on either side.
Ideally, my trailer should have a goucho across the front and free standing table for maximum space efficiency, due to the window layout.
I am building a compromise to meet our design ideas, and needs as well.

The table will mount on a 28in wide extrusion under the front window. The extrusion eliminates table movement left to right, as well as wobble on either side. This makes a single folding leg possible. For the table to drop down and become the bed platform, all I need to do is lift the table out of it's extrusion, and fold up the single leg, placing it on cleats that are mounted to the seat bottoms. jcferguson's 62 Safari was the inspiration for this.

Creampuff has a u-shaped dinette with a free standing table in their Flying Cloud, which also works well, but their windows are higher up, allowing backrests to be pplaced where they are needed without blocking existing windows.

So, it really depends on what you want and how much seating you need.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #653
4 Rivet Member

Quote:

This is the table leg bracket I used:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=9993

and this is the hardware to attach the table to the wall:

http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/table-support.html

The leg bracket is solid and clicks into the up or down position and along with the bracket makes for a very sturdy table.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:22 PM   #654
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:

Another thought is to re-use the existing table hardware that you have, just in a different location, under the front window for a conventional dinette.
A 68 Tradewind should have a high enough window line, and enough space in the front to give you options galore.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #655
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I tried 3 styles of door gaskets that are supposed to be original to the 1963 trailers, and only one of them worked.
Here's what I tried:
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/...Code=VTS%2D286
and this:
http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/45313.jpg
and this, which actually worked well:
http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/005s-gasket.jpg

Installing the other 2 made the door impossible to close.
Inland's 45313 worked somewhat for the vent door in the door.

I ruined many feet of door gasket materials, and a whole tube of 3m adhesive before finding that the 70's window gasket material is the way to go. It is flexible enough to close the door against, even when installing it on both the door and the door frame.

Uwe, where did you install the seal on your door?
Old 04-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #656
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
Uwe, where did you install the seal on your door?
On the body's door frame, not on the door.
I am going to try and install a second gasket on teh door surround, though.
Right now the door closes with just s slight effort. Once the gasket has settled a bit, I will try the second run.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:59 AM   #657
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
On the body's door frame, not on the door.
I am going to try and install a second gasket on teh door surround, though.
Right now the door closes with just s slight effort. Once the gasket has settled a bit, I will try the second run.
I don't think I understand where yet... Body's door frame - on the part with the backs of rivets closest to the inside of the trailer?

Do you think this stuff won't work on the door itself?

Thanks,

c
Old 04-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #658
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Just as an FYI, I've seen garage door gaskets used for doors, worked really nice - Mark - 64 Overlander did that and looked/worked great

Ken J.

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote