Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2006, 07:31 AM   #617
Rivet Master
 
fastrob's Avatar
 
1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 545
Inverters

At work we use inverters to convert 12v to 120v. They plug into the dash on the car. The 120v amp drain is low enough and we can run a printer/scanner as well. In Maximum PC magazine they are saying that laptops are the new PC's or they will be soon.
Pioneers are the ones with arrows in their backs.

R
__________________

__________________
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:17 AM   #618
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Uwe,

I have alot of time on my hands and have read this thread from start to finish. I wish I were home right now to tackle some of the same things on my AS. There is alot of great information here. Thanks

Mike
I can't believe how big this thread has grown. It's actually goo d reference for me as well, I go back and look at wiring, for example, to remember where the runs went.
Thanks for visiting!
__________________

__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:21 AM   #619
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob
At work we use inverters to convert 12v to 120v. They plug into the dash on the car. The 120v amp drain is low enough and we can run a printer/scanner as well. In Maximum PC magazine they are saying that laptops are the new PC's or they will be soon.
Pioneers are the ones with arrows in their backs.

R
I have a 400W inverter in the closet, but I am not sure if it is a good enough one for computers. When I hook up my lap top to it, it makes a hiss in the audio. Disconnect it,and the audio is quiet, no hiss. ( on laptop's battery power)
It's not a hum, it's definitely a hiss.
I do not have this problem with the lap top when I plug it into 120V at home.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:58 AM   #620
4 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I have a 400W inverter in the closet, but I am not sure if it is a good enough one for computers. When I hook up my lap top to it, it makes a hiss in the audio. Disconnect it,and the audio is quiet, no hiss. ( on laptop's battery power)
It's not a hum, it's definitely a hiss.
I do not have this problem with the lap top when I plug it into 120V at home.

last time I was in germany I was using an adapter for my laptop - to attach to the 220 or whatever it is there and I could feel a tiny charge on the surface of the metal. worked fine, but had a "buzz" to the surface of the metal. Funny things.
__________________
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #621
4 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I can't believe how big this thread has grown. It's actually goo d reference for me as well, I go back and look at wiring, for example, to remember where the runs went.
Thanks for visiting!
This thread is more like a firehose than an rv pump.
__________________
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #622
Rivet Master
 
MarkR's Avatar
 
1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 725
Images: 12
speaking of resource, is there a way to down load an entire thread? I am banking on having all this information available when I get further along in my project. And because I am moving so slow, I'm nervous this will all disapear when I finally need it.
Thanks for posting all your experiences, references, solutions . . . actually there are at least 4 threads that I have been "enjoying" for many months, thanks.
__________________

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
***
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #623
4 Rivet Member
 
ankornuta's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 435
Images: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
speaking of resource, is there a way to down load an entire thread? I am banking on having all this information available when I get further along in my project. And because I am moving so slow, I'm nervous this will all disapear when I finally need it.
Thanks for posting all your experiences, references, solutions . . . actually there are at least 4 threads that I have been "enjoying" for many months, thanks.
If you're using a mac there's a way to do that in Safari. I think there are also some "spider" utilities out there for windows computers.
__________________
ankornuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:39 AM   #624
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast
 
flyfshr's Avatar

 
1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: I currently do not own a 2nd Airstream
Posts: 4,319
Images: 40
Back to the topic of 12v power for the Mac Mini or PowerBook, I purchased a 12 volt plug (cig lighter style) for my laptop directly from Apple. Works great on my iBook. I've not tried it with the new PowerBook I have now but don't think it will be a problem. The 12v cord/plug was around $75 so not cheap but it performs as expected and is small in size.

Brad
FF
__________________
4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:54 AM   #625
Rivet Master
 
3Ms75Argosy's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,341
Images: 7
New intel Powerbook...

should be here any time now. I saw the new PB at the Apple stores in Malaysia (go figure!). Their prices for the other Apple products were about what's in line for our products. Figure about $2,300-2,500. What a cool screen! I think it was 15.4" (or 14.5), but it looked HUGE! Very sharp colors. Cool remote control. Titanium (but looks aluminum) color.
Marc
__________________
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:00 PM   #626
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Back to the topic of 12v power for the Mac Mini or PowerBook, I purchased a 12 volt plug (cig lighter style) for my laptop directly from Apple. Works great on my iBook. I've not tried it with the new PowerBook I have now but don't think it will be a problem. The 12v cord/plug was around $75 so not cheap but it performs as expected and is small in size.

Brad
FF
Brad,
Do yu have a item number on that? I wonder if it would work with my G4 powerbook? It's doubtful that it would work with the mac mini, as that one has a very different power input connector.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:09 PM   #627
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast
 
flyfshr's Avatar

 
1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: I currently do not own a 2nd Airstream
Posts: 4,319
Images: 40
Uwe ~

I'll dig mine up and see if there is a part number and manufacturer name on it. Now just where in the trailer did I leave that cord?

Brad
FF
__________________
4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #628
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
La's Garment District

Went to Los Angeles proper today, to look for alternatives to the Knoll fabric we like. The Knoll Textiles are over $ 50.00 a yard, so we thought to take a drive and look at the infamous LA Garment district's offerings.
Found some nice fabric at Michael Levine and Home Fabrics, but have not made a purchase. Somehow, this is much more difficult than I originally had envisioned. After a while, all the patterns and colors blur together in my mind. So, we got some swatches and will do our homework first before returning there to buy. It is a colorful and interesting place, though.
Didi sure had fun rifling through all the bolts of fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4010002.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	20059  
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #629
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Uwe ~

I'll dig mine up and see if there is a part number and manufacturer name on it. Now just where in the trailer did I leave that cord?

Brad
FF
Brad, I found a few options at macconnection.com. Will look into it. Thanks!
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 09:20 AM   #630
4 Rivet Member
 
AirstreamGypsy's Avatar
 
1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 471
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Fabric

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Went to Los Angeles proper today, to look for alternatives to the Knoll fabric we like. The Knoll Textiles are over $ 50.00 a yard, so we thought to take a drive and look at the infamous LA Garment district's offerings.
Found some nice fabric at Michael Levine and Home Fabrics, but have not made a purchase. Somehow, this is much more difficult than I originally had envisioned. After a while, all the patterns and colors blur together in my mind. So, we got some swatches and will do our homework first before returning there to buy. It is a colorful and interesting place, though.
Didi sure had fun rifling through all the bolts of fabric.
Uwe,
Have you looked at this site for your fabrics? i know you said you were hunting for something Retro. These are around $40 instead of $50. Every little bit helps. Just click on the fabric link.
__________________

__________________
AirstreamGypsy
___________
Charter Member FCU WBCCI 1818 CP(Courtesy Parking) Wi-Fi
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorhome versus Trailer Member Search crzycpa Our Community 1 08-23-2011 01:30 PM
1976 Airstream Argosy RV Trailer 26 Foot, Very Good Con eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 07-18-2011 11:40 AM
Trying to buy a New Trailer kingfisher24 On The Road... 2 05-13-2011 08:26 PM
How do you deal with your trailer while exploring? mikescha On The Road... 18 02-21-2011 12:36 PM
A sad end to a wonderful trailer rmk110761 Airstream History 9 02-15-2011 10:12 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.