Old 03-25-2006, 04:27 PM   #603
Site Team

, Minnesota
I can't say if that exact one has batteries, I assume it does. It is very similar to the 1200VA unit I bought 3 years ago for use in my home. After two years the batteries failed and I needed to replace them. They were just common 12V batteries available at Batteries Plus.

Since then I have thought about adapting one, with larger batteries, for longer duty cycle.

The monitoring program lets you monitor the input and output AC voltage and frequency, the battery level, and logs all events.

One thing I haven't figured out is how to disable the alarm buzzer that sounds whenever it is operating off batteries. I'm sure I could if I looked at the circuitry. The alarm is nice because it will wake me up at night if the house power goes out. (I leave my desktop on 24/7)

If you download the user manual and software manual you can find out everything. It's on the same page you noted.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:01 PM   #604
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
If you download the user manual and software manual you can find out everything. It's on the same page you noted.
Sheesh, I just noticed that you already sent me the same link I was googling..
I guess I need another vacation...

Old 03-25-2006, 06:30 PM   #605
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Well, the power supply is rated at 120W output, which is way high to use in the trailer on batteries. That translates in to 10amps draw, which can deplete a battery right quick. Add to that the draw of the power amp ( 2 amps at low volumes) and the display ( ???amps). So, now I am not sure it is going to make sense to put it in the trailer. I do want the system to function the same everywhere, hooked up or off the grid. This might not be the right solution after all. It sure is a nice package, though. I am going to do more research on the power requirements before making a final decision.
I do knw that my ipod with teh car audio amp and teh bose speakers worked great for several days without any appreciable loss in battery charge. Maybe that's the way to stay for now.
I can't believe it would use that much power! The back of my powerbook says 24V max 1.875A, which is about 3.6 max at 12 volts, right? That's with screen too... What could the mini possibly be doing with 10A? does it have motors in there?

What about the smallest sized laptop instead? You could take it along, it's not THAT much bigger and has a range of outputs...
Old 03-25-2006, 08:42 PM   #606
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
I can't believe it would use that much power! The back of my powerbook says 24V max 1.875A, which is about 3.6 max at 12 volts, right? That's with screen too... What could the mini possibly be doing with 10A? does it have motors in there?

What about the smallest sized laptop instead? You could take it along, it's not THAT much bigger and has a range of outputs...
Thing is, I already got a ti PowerBook, and could just use it instead. I guess I will be looking for a 12V power supply for the book for now, take it along instead. We want entertainment by choice, not commercial TV or Radio, so a TV set is not important to us. I was aiming for the new mac mini for it's remote and cool-factor. i am actually writing this on it right now. It works great.
I wonder if the increase in power consumption comes from the new intel processors? I am reasonably sure that it would not max out the power supply constantly, but it's definitely a much larger brick than the one for the lap top.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:08 AM   #607
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
I was thinking about picking up a mac mini for the same purpose. The nice thing is, you can use it as a DVR in your home entertainment system, then disconnect two cables, put it in a bag, and bring it with you on the road.

In regards to the power consumption, I know that on my Powerbook I can customize the way that it consumes energy to some degree... I wonder if the intel mac mini has the same options...
Old 03-26-2006, 11:00 AM   #608
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by ankornuta
I was thinking about picking up a mac mini for the same purpose. The nice thing is, you can use it as a DVR in your home entertainment system, then disconnect two cables, put it in a bag, and bring it with you on the road.

In regards to the power consumption, I know that on my Powerbook I can customize the way that it consumes energy to some degree... I wonder if the intel mac mini has the same options...
For HDTV, you will need the fastest duo core processor model.
I can not detect any power consumption control panel on mine. I will ook further into the power draw when on 12V issue.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:37 PM   #609
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Do you have the "energy saver" option under "hardware" in "system preferences"?
Old 03-26-2006, 07:46 PM   #610
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Do you have the "energy saver" option under "hardware" in "system preferences"?
Yes, but it only pertains to putting the computer and the display to sleep.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #611
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lowell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Yes, but it only pertains to putting the computer and the display to sleep.
Uwe, have you seen this? http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/18/b...ered-mac-mini/ The article talks about a guy who gets an hour and 50 minutes out of some li-ion batteries he placed inside of the mac mini case (replaced the CD-ROM). Granted, it's the pre-intel model, but I can't imagine that the new one gets that much worse power consumption....
Old 03-27-2006, 09:06 PM   #612
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Uwe, have you seen this? http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/18/b...ered-mac-mini/ The article talks about a guy who gets an hour and 50 minutes out of some li-ion batteries he placed inside of the mac mini case (replaced the CD-ROM). Granted, it's the pre-intel model, but I can't imagine that the new one gets that much worse power consumption....
Cool Idea. I saw an article a while back for a mac mini as a media center in a car. they musta powered it somehow by 12V...will have to try and find that article. i believe it was a japanese import conversion.
My choie fo the mac mini was that i thought it was basically a laptop without the keyboard and screen. But looking at the power brick still makes me wonder. It is almost as big as the computer.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:30 PM   #613
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
I'm interested in 12v solutions for computer power also. I thought that a laptop with a detachable screen would be cool. The screen could be mounted on the wall for watching movies etc. The keyboard etc could sit in one's lap. Any ideas on some type of variation for this idea? Then the screen could be reattached for detail work.
Don
Old 03-28-2006, 01:06 AM   #614
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Bambi
I'm interested in 12v solutions for computer power also. I thought that a laptop with a detachable screen would be cool. The screen could be mounted on the wall for watching movies etc. The keyboard etc could sit in one's lap. Any ideas on some type of variation for this idea? Then the screen could be reattached for detail work.
Don
I have not seen such an animal, Don. But then my interest in computers has been limited to the offerings of Apple Computer.
Perhaps the Gates camp has some tidbits that can do what you're describing.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:59 AM   #615
2 Rivet Member

Notebook with detacheable display

Don,

as I am shopping for a notebook, too in my research I only found one model with a truly detachable display: a SAMSUNG-model (called M90 over here) with 19'' (!) display.
BIG
COSTLY
IMPRESSIVE
Typically a combo of external display and regulra notebook would be cheaper.
Good luck searching!
M.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:13 AM   #616
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Great Thread

Uwe,

I have alot of time on my hands and have read this thread from start to finish. I wish I were home right now to tackle some of the same things on my AS. There is alot of great information here. Thanks

Mike

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote