Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #435
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast
 
flyfshr's Avatar

 
1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: I currently do not own a 2nd Airstream
Posts: 4,319
Images: 40
Yours must be different than mine becuase the one I have stands up and mounts to the counter. I've only seen them mounted right next to the kitchen sink. Is yours an in-line unit? Shoot me a picture if you would, don't think I've seen one of those. Did it originally come in your trailer?

Brad
FF
__________________

__________________
4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:46 AM   #436
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Yours must be different than mine becuase the one I have stands up and mounts to the counter. I've only seen them mounted right next to the kitchen sink. Is yours an in-line unit? Shoot me a picture if you would, don't think I've seen one of those. Did it originally come in your trailer?

Brad
FF
Yes, it came with the 63. It is a sink mounted/countertop unit. I love the modern era lid screw. I don't think that I have any close-ups of it. I can take some next week and send them to you.

Edit:
I found a picture of it being mounted under the sink, actually...I though one of the holes in the sink had this filter installed in it, but I was mistaken. Look at the pic below. You can see the filter inside the galley cabinet.
Do you believe the mess this trailer was in when I got it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1963Overlander1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	16869  
__________________

__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:02 AM   #437
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast
 
flyfshr's Avatar

 
1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: I currently do not own a 2nd Airstream
Posts: 4,319
Images: 40
You've brought life back to the lifeless and created a true work of art and love. You're an inspiration. Slightly worse than mine when I brought it home, not much though.

If yours is a countertop model then I don't need pictures as I have a couple of those myself. Just can't bring myself to drill a hole in the counter and hook it up. Need to get a new filter before I do that and just haven't done it. Inside of the filter unit needs a thorough cleaning, probably a couple times in the dishwasher.

So what happen to all of the stuff like hardware, appliances, lights, etc that were replaced? Must have made a huge junk pile when you were done tearing it all out.

Brad
FF
__________________
4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:16 AM   #438
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
You've brought life back to the lifeless and created a true work of art and love. You're an inspiration. Slightly worse than mine when I brought it home, not much though.

If yours is a countertop model then I don't need pictures as I have a couple of those myself. Just can't bring myself to drill a hole in the counter and hook it up. Need to get a new filter before I do that and just haven't done it. Inside of the filter unit needs a thorough cleaning, probably a couple times in the dishwasher.

So what happen to all of the stuff like hardware, appliances, lights, etc that were replaced? Must have made a huge junk pile when you were done tearing it all out.

Brad
FF
I sold a lot of items that I did not want on ebay. I only tossed the rotten wood, kept some frames for templates, and kept a bunch of lighting fixtures and small items like hardware etc. for eventual later use, sale or trade. Incomplete or broken items were tossed in the dumpster, like the furnace and stove. I still have the original folding antenna, complete with rotator, for example.
My first of two runs of e-bay auctions made twice the amount of money that I originally paid for the trailer. The second run of auctions almost paid for the appliances that I bought for it. If I auction again, then I will buy something neat for it, like a built in computer/entertainment system based on a Mac Mini....need about $ 1200.00 for this. I have provided some of the wiring already during the construction phase. Well, that's last on the list. I do have a budget to consider,after all. Ebaying takes time, and right now I'd rather put teh time in the trailer, since it's perfect cool weather to get stuff done.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #439
Rivet Master
 
pinkflamingoes's Avatar
 
1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,569
Images: 38
Blog Entries: 3
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
did you just run ethernet cable throughout? Tell us more Uwe...
__________________
"Let's look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever man.'"
~ Hurley

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 01:51 PM   #440
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
did you just run ethernet cable throughout? Tell us more Uwe...
The wiring I planned for is antenna and speaker wiring, as well as generous 12V and ground wiring in the front end cap. I have coax runs from front to rear, exiting near the bed, near the refrigerator, and by the original antenna location, at the curbside front.
This way I can lay out a simple mobile video system any which way I need.
I figured with WiFi being so ever-present these days, that ethernet would not be necessary.
The Mac Mini idea is manifesting itself more and more. It's a lot like an i-book without the big case, which means that travelling should not hurt the hard drive. The module is very small, runs on a power adapter that is available for 12V ( Laptop power supply), and has music, dvd, photo, WiFi, wireles keyboard and mouse, and is even a pretty decent computer if ever I had to work out of the trailer (heaven forbid). I wonder if there's a tax advantage....mobile office...write off etc...KenJ, you listening?
Nice sized LCD screens can be had for $300.00, and the audio quality of i-tunes is quite good. One thing that's missing is a TV tuner. I believe those are available as a USB add-on. Budget permitting, this might be the ideal solution for me. But then there's always tomorrow, with a new idea.......
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #441
2 Rivet Member
 
1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 48
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
uwe,

I have 2 PVR cards for my computer. Mine are in the computer but they do come USB as well. I got mine from Hauppage for $75 each. The program that I got to power the PVR cards is MicroSoft MediaCenter. It works like a TiVo without needing to pay the monthly fee. I have a 17 inch LCD monitor attached to my system now.

I plan to upgrade to a 23 inch LCD TV so that I can swivel the unit around from the Twin Bedroom area to the front so that it can also be viewed from the couch. Of course I plan to use that as my computer screen as well and hook it into my new speakers.

Haven't figured out the sub-woofer and mechanism to switch between front and bedroom speaker, in case I have someone asleep on the couch in the front of the overlander.

Although the program has its quirks, I am quite happy with both the harward and the software.

Jennifer
__________________
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #442
4 Rivet Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 389
Uwe,

The overhead cabinets look great - as does the cover over the black tank. Does that cover have some kind of framework to support the toilet or does the tank take the weight itself?

I think the curly maple looks great against the simpler walls and front/sides to the cabinets. Bravo.

Carlos
__________________
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:56 PM   #443
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyrhodes
uwe,

I have 2 PVR cards for my computer. Mine are in the computer but they do come USB as well. I got mine from Hauppage for $75 each. The program that I got to power the PVR cards is MicroSoft MediaCenter. It works like a TiVo without needing to pay the monthly fee. I have a 17 inch LCD monitor attached to my system now.

I plan to upgrade to a 23 inch LCD TV so that I can swivel the unit around from the Twin Bedroom area to the front so that it can also be viewed from the couch. Of course I plan to use that as my computer screen as well and hook it into my new speakers.

Haven't figured out the sub-woofer and mechanism to switch between front and bedroom speaker, in case I have someone asleep on the couch in the front of the overlander.

Although the program has its quirks, I am quite happy with both the harward and the software.

Jennifer
Jennifer,
So you can watch TV through the computer system's monitor? That's precisely what I have planned in my head. Although, TV is not that important to me, but it is nice to be able to enjoy when the campground provides a cable hookup. Priority is music and DVD to me.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:01 PM   #444
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
Uwe,

The overhead cabinets look great - as does the cover over the black tank. Does that cover have some kind of framework to support the toilet or does the tank take the weight itself?

I think the curly maple looks great against the simpler walls and front/sides to the cabinets. Bravo.

Carlos
Carlos,
the tank has a somewhat crude 3/4in plywood top over it, which is 1/2 in larger than the tank, so that the weight is supported by the sides of the tank. I stood on it and bounced to check it's strength, with no ill effects.
The cover is for cosmetic purposes only.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 11:09 PM   #445
2 Rivet Member
 
1977 27' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 48
Send a message via Yahoo to dustyrhodes
uwe,
Yes, I don't have a TV only a computer. I hook my cable into the computer and the TV tuner card or USB which ever does the rest. It works well. I am considering a LCD TV monitor only because it can support not only my computer but also my PS2. I looked at a 23 inch Samsung tonight that is enticing. I have gotten spoiled by having the luxury of surfing the forums and watching TV at the same time. It is almost as decadent as deconstructing my Overlander. Nothing beats the anticipation of creating a well constructed, water tight, fully functional, customized AS.

Jennifer
__________________
dustyrhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 08:42 PM   #446
Got gandkids?
 
Jim & Susan's Avatar

 
1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,406
Images: 39
Uwe, I meant to ask in my earlier post about your lights. Are they 12v D.C.? and where did you get them? I thought I saw a link to the company you bought them from, but I guess I was mistaken. Thanks for the info.

Jim
__________________
www.nesa.org

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #447
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Uwe, I meant to ask in my earlier post about your lights. Are they 12v D.C.? and where did you get them? I thought I saw a link to the company you bought them from, but I guess I was mistaken. Thanks for the info.

Jim
Jim,
I purchased the lights from www.swego.com
They are indeed 12VDC.
Actually, incandescent lights don't differentiate much between A/C and DC.
I am about to order more lights from them, to install under the overhead cabinets in the Overlander.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #448
Rivet Master
 
pinkflamingoes's Avatar
 
1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,569
Images: 38
Blog Entries: 3
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
correct on the wifi availability. I also forgot you'd have to plug your ethernet into a box that eventually goes to the provider, to be truly "wired".

My priorities are music and dvd, in that order. I'll have to think about wiring for that in the trailer when the time comes. For now, I'm trying to install that cursed front window. The screws that I took out, are too small now. I had to re-thread the holes with some fancy shmancy self-tapping screw and get bigger ones, but they fit. So, I cleaned off half-dried sealer and now I try again...
__________________

__________________
"Let's look Death in the face and say, 'Whatever man.'"
~ Hurley

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorhome versus Trailer Member Search crzycpa Our Community 1 08-23-2011 01:30 PM
1976 Airstream Argosy RV Trailer 26 Foot, Very Good Con eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 07-18-2011 11:40 AM
Trying to buy a New Trailer kingfisher24 On The Road... 2 05-13-2011 08:26 PM
How do you deal with your trailer while exploring? mikescha On The Road... 18 02-21-2011 12:36 PM
A sad end to a wonderful trailer rmk110761 Airstream History 9 02-15-2011 10:12 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.