2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Oovay -
You're work is outstanding! Well thought out too. I hope the fellas at the factory are following this thread. Looks like you're getting into the home stretch. A question - it looks like there's a hole in your bathroom floor under the vanity cabinet. This must have been where the commode used to sit? Looks also like it might be a tight fit for your plumbing under the bathroom sink. Going to run it down behind where the hamper space is?

Keep at it. Its coming out fantastic. Going to have it done for our TCT Rally in the end of February? Hope so, I'd like to see it in person.

Brad
FF
Brad,
that's actually not a hole under there. The toilet flange got kicked under there by accident. I am building a maple cover for the black tank, and had to take it off for dry fitting the ply panels.
I've got the grey drain right under the shelf in the vanity already. the grey drain is going off to the left, while the water supply is coming on from the right, following the wall behind the hamper.
I am using pex and flair-it fittings. I've got a bunch of fittings to make this nice and tight, or so I hope....
TCT Rally?

Old 11-27-2005, 12:14 PM   #408
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Uwe...

fantastic (as usual!) work! A couple of ideas... I was just reading a Finehomebuilding issue that spoke to creating space under the cabinet for shelves (or drawers) like what you've done. Instead of the elbow being right under the sink, place an elbow pointing towards the rear of the trailer, and have another elbow facing down, then put your p-trap here. The drawing shows some extra piping, but just put the elbow directly under the sink, and I think you've got it made.

My drawings not the best, but I think it might show what I'm talking about?

Regarding the canvas covered baskets - Ikea has had something like this. I'm not sure of the sizing, but I know they had some larger ones as well.

How are you opening the doors - european style hinges or...? Will the one for the hamper open from the bottom to get the clothes in?

Great work!
Marc
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2005, 12:17 PM   #409
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
Looks great. Time consuming it is, I agree!

The curly maple (is that what it is?) looks good in the bath. Is the poly/oil a wipe on sort of stuff? I am using something similar called armrseal or something like that...
It is brush on, spray on, or wipe on liquid.

Quote:
What is the little trim strip that seals the countertop to the wall in the bath?
It's something I still got to find a bunch of, new. It's a double lip seal with a mounting tang that staples to the back of the plywood.

Quote:
What will you use to keep the cabinet doors shut? The original hardware or something new?

Carlos
I found some cool cabinet latches at leevalley.com. I will try and find the part number for you later.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:18 PM   #410
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ha!

If I take long enough to post a question, it looks like it gets answered before I post!

I think you have the drain under control. What kind of mixer are you using for the shower, will it go on the wall to the front of the shower?
Marc
Old 11-27-2005, 12:26 PM   #411
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
fantastic (as usual!) work! A couple of ideas... I was just reading a Finehomebuilding issue that spoke to creating space under the cabinet for shelves (or drawers) like what you've done. Instead of the elbow being right under the sink, place an elbow pointing towards the rear of the trailer, and have another elbow facing down, then put your p-trap here. The drawing shows some extra piping, but just put the elbow directly under the sink, and I think you've got it made.

My drawings not the best, but I think it might show what I'm talking about?

Regarding the canvas covered baskets - Ikea has had something like this. I'm not sure of the sizing, but I know they had some larger ones as well.

How are you opening the doors - european style hinges or...? Will the one for the hamper open from the bottom to get the clothes in?

Great work!
Marc
Marc,
Thanks for the drawing. Great Idea. I used this in the galley already, but somehow it never dawned on me to do the same under the vanity. Good thing you guys are watching out for me!

We'll be frequenting Ikea, Cost PLus etc. to hunt down these baskets. There's a place that sells nothing but storage items, callerd The Container Store, near here. We will be looking there as well.
I am not using European hinges, I think that they are too high tech for the look I want. I am going with the chromed inset hinges.
The hamper door will hinge at teh bottom, but with 2 pins so it can be lifted off to remove the hamper. The toilet is close to it, so I think removing the door to remove the hamper is easiest.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:30 PM   #412
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
If I take long enough to post a question, it looks like it gets answered before I post!

I think you have the drain under control. What kind of mixer are you using for the shower, will it go on the wall to the front of the shower?
Marc
Marc,
I plan on using the original mixer. It mounts to the side of the cabinet, and the shower screws to the top of the mixer, and then goes up through a hole in the countertop. The pipe then makes a sharp bend towards the tub. It has a chromed mounting tab that rivets to the end cap. I hope that I can rebuild the original mixer, it's a nice and heavy piece.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:39 PM   #413
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
What kind of mixer are you using for the shower, will it go on the wall to the front of the shower?
Marc
Marc,
In this picture you can see the old shower arrangement. I want to restore and re-use it. I think it's a cool setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oldbath.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	16700  
Old 11-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #414
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Uwe

Looks great - looking at your last pictures it always amazes me what you can do to these (initially hopeless looking) trailers..... It is soooo cool to see your trailers coming together.....

Ummm how many weeks left to compleation?

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #415
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Uwe -
Your shower mixer looks like mine but since I didn't put in the bathroom cabinet, I mounted it to the inside of the tub. I had to build a spacer piece out of mahageny to account for the slope in the tub wall. Worked out great and all of the fresh water lines are in the tub enclosure. Only draw back is I can't fill up the tub, who'd wanna do that anyway? Too much weight. Just a thought.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:34 PM   #416
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Uwe

Looks great - looking at your last pictures it always amazes me what you can do to these (initially hopeless looking) trailers..... It is soooo cool to see your trailers coming together.....

Ummm how many weeks left to completion?

Ken
Ken,
I would love to see all the basics ( wood work, water, and gas) finished by the end of the year. Might be unrealistic, with holidays and parties and family stuff taking a lot of my time, but I will try. Business usually slows down a little over the holidays, so I plan on getting a lot of it out of the way during workin hours.
I don't mind the dacorative stuff being pushed back a little, as the trailer can be used without all that.
January is my busy month with a tradeshow right in the second week, then February I can finish the upholstery and polishing/sealing.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:36 PM   #417
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
Uwe -
Your shower mixer looks like mine but since I didn't put in the bathroom cabinet, I mounted it to the inside of the tub. I had to build a spacer piece out of mahageny to account for the slope in the tub wall. Worked out great and all of the fresh water lines are in the tub enclosure. Only draw back is I can't fill up the tub, who'd wanna do that anyway? Too much weight. Just a thought.

Brad
FF
Thanks, Brad. I duplicated the bath layout for the most part, so I should be able to mount the mixer in teh same spot as where it was before.
Hehee, I reinforced my frame so I can take a bath back there without messing up the alignment or have rivets pop....
Old 11-27-2005, 06:43 PM   #418
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Bath Counter Poll!

I was wondering what everybody thought of the bath counter top.
My original plan was to toss this one and make a new one, out of figured maple or birch plywood. Use aluminum edge banding, and install an oval or round stainless sink. Use clear epoxy ( like a bar top) on the wood to seal out
moisture.
Now that I look at it, I can imagine getting the original top refinished in white to match the bathtub and the toilet, and using it instead. It would require some minor structural repair, as the substrate under the fiberglass has some rot in 2 spots and is delaminated.

The first option would bring more of a warm wood tone into the bath, the second would tie the white fixtures together quite nicely, I think.

So, what would you do? Pro's/Cons?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:57 PM   #419
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
To me it just depends on the look you want - - - - if you want more of a high tech look, I would go with option #1, if you want it to look more original, I would redo the old top. For me, I'm trying to stay close to what was there before, so I would be inclined to use the old one if I could get it to look good.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 09:07 PM   #420
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Pros/Cons? Hard to say, Uwe.

Maybe the old fiberglass will continue to delaminate even if you fix it.

Maybe the wood is not such a good idea so close to water.

Both design ideas are nice.

If you spray the counter in two-step epoxy you will tie the appliances together. They will also compliment the natural woodiness of the space.

If you build your own counter you will be able to say it is your own handiwork.

Hard to say. Not an easy choice.

Sergei