2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Uwe,
Are the countertops real butcher block? Did you make them yourself? How big is your work area? Did I see Norm Abram in one of those pictures? Great job!
The countertops are indeed real butcherblock. 1 1/8in thick solid beech. I bought them at Ikea, for a song.
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...ts=10110*10752
They happened to have the perfect sizes ( I bought 3 different pieces) that allowed me to use continuous runs, insted of seaming smaller sections together. I trimmed and cut the original ones severely, took off a lot of material, so now the weight is ok. Originally I thought they were too heavy. The long piece that extends from the curbside galley into the bedroom area is the heaviest one, but it is very easy for me to lift it and maneuver it around.
The galley top with the sink cutout barely has any of the top left anyways, just basically frames...
I ended up with a bunch of nice cutting board stock.I can make matching sink covers and also a stove top cover from the leftovers.
Last night I applied the first coat of salad bowl finish.
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...0bowl%20finish
It makes the raw wood food safe, and looks really nice so far. It takes 3 coats, with sanding in between. That's 3 nights of drying time...oh well. The rally is not until Friday, so I still have 5 days to go....

Old 10-01-2005, 10:18 AM   #352
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
nah. couldn't be. He would've nailed the whole thing together, and to the alluminum walls with his brad nailer.

"ca-chunk! ca-chunk! ca-chunk!"
Chuck, funny you mentioned the brad nailer, now that I am almost done.
I actually have one sitting in the tool closet. The thought of using it never crossed my mind. Maybe I should have tried it. After all the ca-chunk is a very cool sound in a wood shop.
I ended up making all the joints with a Kreg pocket hole jig, and the special screws that are available from Kreg. I believe that this is the most satisfying joinery system for an amateur like me. It allowed me to get really tight joints immediately.
My friend Murray made some suggestions as to quality of saw blades and router bits, and I can't emphasize enough the importance of good, sharp tools. Cuts like buddah, like they say in your neck of the woods.

Old 10-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #353
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I miss IKEA!!!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:32 AM   #354
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Uwe,
Do you have any concern about the butcher block splitting when the trailer is going down the road? My understanding is that the triler will flex a bit. Also, I have a small flip up at the end of the counter (you remember the tradewind), do you have one and did you do that in the same top?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:33 AM   #355
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I miss IKEA!!!

Shari
Let me know if you need anything from there, I can get it and send it out to you, after qualifying that it is good quality.
Much of their stuff is excellent, some is acceptable, some is just plain junk.
Their 12V lights, for example, are excellent!
I bought the galley faucet for the 63 there as well, and it, too is excellent quality. Most of my office furnishings came from Ikea, and so far with daily use I am more than pleased.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:44 AM   #356
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Uwe,
Do you have any concern about the butcher block splitting when the trailer is going down the road? My understanding is that the triler will flex a bit. Also, I have a small flip up at the end of the counter (you remember the tradewind), do you have one and did you do that in the same top?
To address this concern, the furniture frames float on op of the floor,and are atached to the walls and to each other only. The counter tops are attached to these frames at the rear only with aluminum angle brackets. ( supplied with the counters) So, as the trailer worms and wiggles down the road, both the furniture frames and the counter can ever so slightly flex from side to side. I severely abused a scrap piece of the top, and could not break it, or split it.
The other day we had a sudden desert wind influence, dropping the humidity down to 18%.....no problem for the countertops, this was before I treated them with the salad bowl oil.
The Luan plywood, on the other hand, looks like modern art now...
If the future shows problems with this butcherblock, then I can easily replace the counters with some plywood and laminate.
I might still install polished aluminum edging from outwater.com on the counters.

I did not do the flip up, instead I extended the entire counter out a few more inches, to gain a bit of cabinet space for a 7in pull out pantry underneath. Rockler has good hardware for that.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:59 AM   #357
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
We have an IKEA on the other side of Phoenix, never been in the store. Between Home Depot, Lowes and CW my money is gone! It looks like I am going to have to work overtime and take the plunge!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 08:58 PM   #358
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
We have an IKEA on the other side of Phoenix, never been in the store. Between Home Depot, Lowes and CW my money is gone! It looks like I am going to have to work overtime and take the plunge!
They have cool little nicknacks for bath, bed, and kitchens also.
I will go back and splurge once we are ready to accessorize the trailer, and buy kitchen utensils etc there. My very favorite tea kettle came from Ikea.
That is one of the few things I did not include in the sale of our Trade Wind.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:28 AM   #359
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thanls Uwe! I miss just bbrowsing through the store for all the funn stuff that doesn't show up in the catologs...when we moved from CA we sold everything and thought, we'll just go to IKEA when we get to CO and buy all new stuff. Well, we were in for a bit of a surprise when we got here and there wasn't one here! I thought they were everywhere...I tried to get things mail ordered here and they wouldn't do it. Oh well, I survived and now have a house full of 'new stuff', would know where to add anything else...but thanks for the offer! I do get out there and browse the aisles occaisionally, just for fun.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 07:40 AM   #360
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I had 8 pictures, but only 3 would post. So much for software updates. Seems like the interface gets worse, the more it gets updated.

Its the size of the pictures thats the problem. There is a size cap per post for attachments. Most of your pictures are 250k. If you edit them down a 640x480 it will let you post more pictures per post.

So when are you coming to do ours?

Man it looks great!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm hopefully getting the walls back in this week and I can start rebuilding the cabinets.

Do you have a link for that jointer you are now using?
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #361
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Its the size of the pictures thats the problem. There is a size cap per post for attachments. Most of your pictures are 250k. If you edit them down a 640x480 it will let you post more pictures per post.

So when are you coming to do ours?

Man it looks great!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm hopefully getting the walls back in this week and I can start rebuilding the cabinets.

Do you have a link for that jointer you are now using?
I bought this jointer jig from a local Rockler store. Promptly found it a few days later at Lowe's for $ 10.00 less. If you're going to use this, make sure and buy the screws that come with the kit, as per the size they suggest for a given thickness of wood. 3/4 wood gets 1 1/4 screws, coarse for soft wood, fine for hard wood. There are shorter screws, as well as longer ones for different materials.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...erings_id=2085

I tried posting smaller pics first, but it still did not go as planned. Come to think of it, I have always had issues posting pictures to posts. It's the one irritating thing about the forum interface for me. Maybe I should stop whining like a little girl and buy a new computer.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:33 PM   #362
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat=9.6

McFeely's is a good place for square drive screws as well. they need a new name, though! ha! the square drive bits are awesome! no slipping like on conventional screws. i've built lots of furniture with that kreg jig. i absolutely love it. using mine next week to start on our nursery here at the house.

yep!

jordan

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:22 PM   #363
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I got the last few coats of sealing oil on my countertops today, and have finished the taillight wiring while waiting for the sealer to dry.
Also sealed and installed the 4 side marker lights. Looks cool with all the lights on. Installed the bulbs and tested everything from the umbilical cord. Houston, we have contact!
Also started assembly on the overhead cabinets and the bed platform. Some of my plywood warped beyond hope, so I will have to go and get more and better plywood tomorrow. I was hoping to get away with using Luan for the bed platform, but that's basically junk wood. I will have to re-do the entire bed platform because it warped so badly. My wood supplier says that birch plywood is a much better choice. Yeah, at triple the price it better be.
Tomorrow I will try and finish the galley cabinet framing and cut the short end wall towards the front of the trailer, getting it ready for a shakedown run to Pismo Beach this weekend. I will be on an Air mattress on the floor, most likely, as I still don't have any bedding or upholstery, nor drapes.
But - the fridge cools very well on 120V, and I got lights, A/C and fantastic fans.
Anyone have a source for the cam locks in the correct size for a 63? I bought some at HD, but they are too fat to fit in the cutouts. One goes in the access panel under teh license plate, one goes in the louvered access panel, and one to the battery compartment door. I need three of them in a hurry. Might just go to a local locksmith and see what they have. I would eventually want them keyed alike anyways.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:36 AM   #364
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I'm tempted to drive to Pismo Beach just to see your trailer . . . have a safe trip.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote