Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2004, 05:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Congradulations - great find.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2004, 05:49 PM   #22
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Congradulations - great find.

Ken
Thanks, Ken. It is rough inside, and structurally weak, but has a good shell and frame, which will only require small repairs. I am excited to breathe life back into this heap.
Old 05-29-2004, 06:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Uwe

Keep us posted - as you may know I'm currently into my 58 is a big way - have torn out the interior, new cabinets, next project is dropping the belly - far as I'm concerned the worst part of restoration - wear lots of protective gear for all the junk that comes out.

I've got some structure problems I'm in the process of figuring out - the PO cut my cross members to put plumbing through (don't know why I never thought of that) anyway need to put all that back together, then I think I need to refasten the floor/shell - think I have "shell" seperation, if I jump up and down on the inside, the walls tend to bow - don't think thats supposed to happen.

Soooooo really looking forward to hearing about your restoration fun!

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 05-29-2004, 07:15 PM   #24
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Ken,
I am preparing to remove the shell, repair the frame, install plumbing and tanks, replace the entire floor, and then replace some outside skin sheets to remedy huge furnace and water heater holes. I hate patches.....I want this one clean, with no compromise in quality of restoration. If it takes few years, so be it.
Once the substantial repairs are done, I will create a wonderful interior space, leaning on teh warmth of the original interior, but updating all the functional items. I want to use baement A/C built under the stove, where the furnace was, so as to not disturb the roof line. I also want a modern remote start water heater and refrigerator. The fresh and grey tanks will be under floor, like in my 1971, the black tank might stay where it was originally designed, in the right rear on top of the floor.
I will add all new wiring, recessed lights ala CCD, dimmers, and 2 fantstif fans for the rear and middle vent respectively. The window treatments might end up being 1in taped wooden blinds, with aluminum blinds in the bath. I want to keep the trailer's interior open, and spacy. A convertable L-shaped couch will go in the front. I have not worked out the dining table detail yet....both sides in teh front have windows reaching down very low, which does not permit a wall mounted folding table. Maybe a free standing folding table woul d work. Need Ideas!
Well ,I will keep posting my progress.
I got the 71 in the meantime for camping and travelling. Everything works in the 71, and it's got a new floor in the bathroom, as well as new almost everything. Most likely I will keep both trailers, even though the are close in size. I will end up loaning the 71 to my kids when we all go out together. One of them needs to buy a tow rig soon...
Maybe we'll see you on the way to Colorado Springs. Good luck with your '58!
Sounds like your shell is about to come of as well.....
Old 05-29-2004, 10:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
DMV here is in Oakland, proof that hell is full and the dead are all employed at the DMV. You get an appointment only to sit and wait for your second number. I'm going to call and see what I can accomplish first, asking them about the police department verification and whether they're ready for all 24' of trailer and about the same in truck...no government departments work hand in hand so I'm preparing for the worst. Thanks for the heads up on the police verification thing...who knows, I can always ask and get snapped at, "NO! Next please..."

pf

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 09:05 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Uwe

Sounds like your doing exactly what I'm doing. Restoring with lots of great updates. There are some - if not lots - of things that have improved since the late 50's early 60's. Also, like you I have another trailer to use while I working on the 58. I really enjoy camping, so I could not be doing a trailer restoration without having another trailer for taking trips in.

In my case, I'm going to put the a/c on top, because there is already one up there, am gonna put in a fantastic fan in the back - however, I plan to put in a U shaped couch in front and use a folding table that I will store in a closet. Having a goucho in the 75 which is not very comfortable for two watching TV and a booth type arrangement in my old 59, I think the U couch will be great for lounging and for visitors to visit. I'm also in the process of rebuilding the cabinets exactly like the originals with improvements - like glue and dowl instead of staples, and better shelving. Keep me posted - and I'll do the same - looks like I'm about 6 months ahead of you on this so maybe you can learn from my mistakes as I've been learning from others who are six months to years ahead of me.

Hope we can travel to CO Springs together at least from this point - if for no other reason to wonder why we ever got ourselves into this mess - you should see my 58 at the moment - its a mess - need to post pictures - I look at it and think my o my then I get home and look at the brand new cabinets and think this is REALLY cool.

Don't know if you have looked at my photos in the photo section, but you can see what I'm starting with.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 05-30-2004, 09:52 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Uwe
Congratulations , looks great.Those pictures are big help to me as I am planning on replacing most of the skin on my '61.I was considering adding a joint over the curb side window and from your photos it looks original.I also like the look of the aft compartment and the gutter over the door.Could you please post a photo of that gutter up close it would be a big help.I have an old Armstrong a/c on the roof and want to remove it and put a basement model under the sink , your trailer looks great without that big lump on top.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 10:03 AM   #28
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Ken,
You have much more to work with than I do. I looked at your photos. I have only the bedframe, sink and stove cabinets, and the bathroom cabinet frames left. Oh, and the tub. I am keeping them only to use for templates to make new ones. There is nothing along the curb side of the trailer, and nothing in the front, either. I also only have 1 wall good enough to trace for a wall template...lucky me! I will be looking for the channels that receives the wall panel in a groove, the curved ones. I have exactly one of those. First things first, frame and floor.
Old 05-31-2004, 07:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Uwe

Yup, start at the bottom and work up - thats my plan

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 06-01-2004, 06:50 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Thumbs up

Great find. I think your basic structure is like my 59.

I have the same thing going in terms of a full rebuild. Don't know what the rear floor is like, except for a area where there isn't one. I have so far taken up a rug, padding, particle board floor, and plywood floor to reveal the orginal plywood. Which was painted white with remains of tiles. In front one bad spot by the door window. I feel lucky. My windows all need rebuilding. But the dome is in great shape.

Where does one find the basement AC. I like the idea.
I have a mid twin layout. Played with changing to a rear twin but it doesn't work with the window placement.

PS. I can pick up the tongue on mine as well. Dual axel, bathroom in place and nothing in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post1959Overlanderbefore (40).JPG
Views:	528
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	6984   Click image for larger version

Name:	post1959Overlanderbefore (42).JPG
Views:	492
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	6985  

Name:	postDSCF0017.JPG
Views:	488
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	6986  
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 10:31 AM   #31
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychpw

Where does one find the basement AC. I like the idea.
I have a mid twin layout. Played with changing to a rear twin but it doesn't work with the window placement.
Dometic makes them. Called a basement heat pump. ( 39335.541) I ordered their detailed installation manual, to make sure it can be used in the position in which I want it. They have a 15kbtu unit, with a/c and heat, comes with digital wall thermostat control. They claim it's super quiet and very efficient.
It is about twice the size of an old furnace, and weighs about 100lbs.
I like the idea of having this 100lbs on the floor instead of the roof. It will be positiones either under the stove in the galley, or under the bed right behind the left rear wheel.
I think that with subfloor fresh and grey tanks and this basement a/c, this should be a nice trailer to tow. My goal is to have a very low center of gravity, together with very clean lines and an airy interior without much clutter.
I was momentarily thinking of doing a rear bed, center bath as well. But then I found out the bathtup is restorable, the countertop int he back bath is perfect ( just dirty) and the black tank/toilet location is preferable to moving it to a midship position. i can't get over how nice the bathroom layout is in the back of this trailer, with this nice, large vanity. I think my wife is going to love it when it's done. I'm doing this for her, too, after all.
btw, I find that there can be a 48inx79in bed made up at all times, with a 4in pullout to bring it to 52in if needed. The bed in my 71 Tradewind is 48+ inches, and it fits us fine. I will keep the dresser opposite from the bed somewhat narrow, barely exceeding the width of the inner wheel well, for maximum hallway width. Well, that's the plan ayways. Who knows, changes might be required, due to circumstances out of my control. Like my wife learning of my plans......
Old 06-02-2004, 11:18 AM   #32
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Gutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg176
Uwe
Congratulations , looks great.Those pictures are big help to me as I am planning on replacing most of the skin on my '61.I was considering adding a joint over the curb side window and from your photos it looks original.I also like the look of the aft compartment and the gutter over the door.Could you please post a photo of that gutter up close it would be a big help.I have an old Armstrong a/c on the roof and want to remove it and put a basement model under the sink , your trailer looks great without that big lump on top.
Greg, here are 2 pictures of the gutter. It is a bent aluminum profile, screwed to the skin.

You can see the "window sheet" in the picture in the next post. I do believe that it is original, and it terminates very smoothly in one of the front and rear curved segments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SSCN1886.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	6992   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN1887.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	6993  

Old 06-02-2004, 11:25 AM   #33
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I got a few more pics this morning, with the progress so far. i was able to clean out most of the old floor and insulation, so far have only found 2 rusted out cross members. They are in the precise locations where i need to cut out crossmembers anyways. The front one is where the fresh water tank will go, the rrear one would have been in the way of the grey tank. Just got the very back 3 feet of flooring and the bathtub to remove. Oh, and the black tank.
Next step after this is to start drilling out rivets. Oh Joy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SSCN1885.JPG
Views:	616
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	6995   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN1884.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	6996  

Name:	SSCN1882.JPG
Views:	487
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	6997   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSCN1888.JPG
Views:	485
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	6998  

Old 06-02-2004, 11:58 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
I love the way the trailer side rivet lines flow into the front and rear ends caps on most 7 panel, 1958-1963 Airstream trailers. Its absolutely beautiful. Great shell you have there, Uwe!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:43 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
Thumbs up

Uwe
Thanks for the pictures of the gutter over the door, it's a big help.Congrats again on a great find.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:59 PM   #36
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Update:
Shell is semi-loose - held on mostly by the black undercoating they sprayed everywhere. I believe that 99% of all the rivets are removed, so I can start rigging the warehouse for rope hoists to get the shell up and off the frame. Can't use my fork lift - ceiling too low, darn.
I went and got some metal studs to make braces from, and still need to take a few more measurements. Wish me luck.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:26 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Good luck - were all pullin for ya........
Rally
restoration rally
Old 06-26-2004, 08:30 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Uwe

On your street side, is that lower panel an add on? Reason I ask is I've got a rip in my wheel wheel I'm trying to figure out how best to fix - my thinking is to add a panel and use an awning rail at the seam for a tire cover, in your case it looks like they put a lower panel on.

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 06-26-2004, 08:32 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Oops - looked at pictures again - its curb side

Ken
Rally
restoration rally
Old 06-26-2004, 10:52 AM   #40
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
Uwe

On your street side, is that lower panel an add on? Reason I ask is I've got a rip in my wheel wheel I'm trying to figure out how best to fix - my thinking is to add a panel and use an awning rail at the seam for a tire cover, in your case it looks like they put a lower panel on.

Ken
It is on the curb side, and I consider it a flaw. Someone obviously had an accident, and the repair should have been replacement of the entire panel up to the window line. Instead, they went the cheaper route and just put a panel in, not even tucking it under the original panel at the uppeer seam, but laying it over, so the seam can channel water inside the shell....
I am considering replacing the entire panel, just saving the fridge access door. I think the seam detracts from the lines of this trailer. But i am not sure yet, need to look at it some more..
However, if your damage can be concealed by the awning rail over teh wheel well, then that's fine. My tradewind has awning rails over the wheel wells, for tire protectors. They look fine, no issues.