Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #361
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Its the size of the pictures thats the problem. There is a size cap per post for attachments. Most of your pictures are 250k. If you edit them down a 640x480 it will let you post more pictures per post.

So when are you coming to do ours?

Man it looks great!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm hopefully getting the walls back in this week and I can start rebuilding the cabinets.

Do you have a link for that jointer you are now using?
I bought this jointer jig from a local Rockler store. Promptly found it a few days later at Lowe's for $ 10.00 less. If you're going to use this, make sure and buy the screws that come with the kit, as per the size they suggest for a given thickness of wood. 3/4 wood gets 1 1/4 screws, coarse for soft wood, fine for hard wood. There are shorter screws, as well as longer ones for different materials.

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...erings_id=2085

I tried posting smaller pics first, but it still did not go as planned. Come to think of it, I have always had issues posting pictures to posts. It's the one irritating thing about the forum interface for me. Maybe I should stop whining like a little girl and buy a new computer.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:33 PM   #362
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?subcat=9.6

McFeely's is a good place for square drive screws as well. they need a new name, though! ha! the square drive bits are awesome! no slipping like on conventional screws. i've built lots of furniture with that kreg jig. i absolutely love it. using mine next week to start on our nursery here at the house.

yep!

jordan

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:22 PM   #363
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I got the last few coats of sealing oil on my countertops today, and have finished the taillight wiring while waiting for the sealer to dry.
Also sealed and installed the 4 side marker lights. Looks cool with all the lights on. Installed the bulbs and tested everything from the umbilical cord. Houston, we have contact!
Also started assembly on the overhead cabinets and the bed platform. Some of my plywood warped beyond hope, so I will have to go and get more and better plywood tomorrow. I was hoping to get away with using Luan for the bed platform, but that's basically junk wood. I will have to re-do the entire bed platform because it warped so badly. My wood supplier says that birch plywood is a much better choice. Yeah, at triple the price it better be.
Tomorrow I will try and finish the galley cabinet framing and cut the short end wall towards the front of the trailer, getting it ready for a shakedown run to Pismo Beach this weekend. I will be on an Air mattress on the floor, most likely, as I still don't have any bedding or upholstery, nor drapes.
But - the fridge cools very well on 120V, and I got lights, A/C and fantastic fans.
Anyone have a source for the cam locks in the correct size for a 63? I bought some at HD, but they are too fat to fit in the cutouts. One goes in the access panel under teh license plate, one goes in the louvered access panel, and one to the battery compartment door. I need three of them in a hurry. Might just go to a local locksmith and see what they have. I would eventually want them keyed alike anyways.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:36 PM   #364
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
I'm tempted to drive to Pismo Beach just to see your trailer . . . have a safe trip.

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 09:05 AM   #365
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR
I'm tempted to drive to Pismo Beach just to see your trailer . . . have a safe trip.
2 full days to go, 6 weeks of work left on the trailer. Priority has shifted from "step by step" to "just make the thing roll". Will go back to "step by step" after the Rally.
Old 10-05-2005, 01:20 PM   #366
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
[quote=uwe]Next thing is go figure out why the 15A breaker did not trip...weird. However, neither did the 30A where the trailer is plugged in to.

I had a 1963 Overlander I sold several years ago. One day I was working on the fan in the vent over the bathroom. Instead of unplugging the whole trailer, I figured that if I turned off both breakers, that would turn off all power.

I was just about to start working on the wires going to the small transformer near the fan and deceided on a wim to test them with my volt meter. It was still hot with 117 volts even thought all (2) breakers were off!

I never did know what else wasn't on a breaker. I just pulled the plug whenever I did electrical work.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 01:26 PM   #367
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Uwe,
I know you can, I know you can.............

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:35 PM   #368
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Did it!

Sorry it took me a while to get back to this, but I had to skip town right after the Rally, on business.
I pretty much worked on the Overlander until the moment I left. Far from finished, but it is now road ready.
After a long drive through LA's worst Friday traffic, a cigar and Margarita with Big Dee was definitely in order!
The trailer tracked and handled like a dream, much better than I had anticipated, and somehow much better than when I towed it home from Washington state 19 month ago. The narrow profile and light weight make this a joy to tow, not a chore. Of course it had no water, no propane,and very little wine inside of it, so in the future, the weight issue will surely change. The trailer handled as if it had a touring suspension, very stout and smooth. I did not notice much skin deformation when turning or when going up driveway humps, as I did when watching down the sides of my previous Airstream.
The brakes are simply wonderful. Very linear, quiet, and smooth. Also very powerful. It took a little adjusting on my Prodigy to keep them from locking up. The adjustment ended up at about 30% of the adjusting wheel travel, for relatively aggressive trailer brakes with no lockup, but lightly singing tires when fully activated manually. I never noticed even a trace of brake fade, not even on long downhills with the trailer brakes only applied.

My 12V, 120V, and fridge all worked wonderfully. So did my bed platform with the air mattress. Unfortunately, that's all that's working so far in the interior. The 10 recessed lights make for a very nice, friendly light inside the trailer, very pleasing. Not too directional, but just right for the distance from floor to ceiling, with little or no shadows. I have them on 4 circuits for better control and battery savings when boon docking.

The trip went very well, with only a few minor concerns. One of them is my Reese Dual Cam HP hitch, I started a separate thread on this issue.

I averaged 12.5 mpg on a 500 mile round trip, and this includes several hours of stop and go through Los Angeles on the way up. Not bad, in my opinion.

All in all a great shakedown cruise.

Now on the building a bathroom and some cabinet doors, then upholstery and window coverings, then back to polishing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3643 copy.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	15163   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3678 copy.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	15164  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3679 copy.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	15165  
Old 10-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #369
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
That is one saweeeet vintage trailer!! Can't wait to see the completed version. Maybe I'll host a vintage rally here in Phoenix over the winter just so I can see it in person. Think there'd be enough interest if you said you were coming.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 07:03 PM   #370
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr
That is one saweeeet vintage trailer!! Can't wait to see the completed version. Maybe I'll host a vintage rally here in Phoenix over the winter just so I can see it in person. Think there'd be enough interest if you said you were coming.

Brad
FF
Let me know if I can help, never been to one yet.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:31 PM   #371
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
You should check the Rally threads. Airstreamers always have fun, it seems.
Phoenix might be a good winter destination. Let's find a nice scenic desert campground with hookups and go for it.
However, we should have a separate thread for that, when the time comes.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:42 PM   #372
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Wow wow WOW! What a difference from the first set of pictures - we have only seen it your shop - looks very proud again......

May even change my mind on the wheels......

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:28 PM   #373
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
wow! it IS coming together nicely. that's it... i'm getting on the polishing of the silver pickle...

thank GOD she's only 15 feet, eh?

jp

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:10 PM   #374
4 Rivet Member

Very nice to see you out of the shop... It looks great.

Carlos
jcferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 02:10 PM   #375
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcferguson
Very nice to see you out of the shop... It looks great.

Carlos
Out of the shop, back into the shop for 3 more month......
Old 10-15-2005, 04:47 PM   #376
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
A/C Question

Uwe,
Did you use the a/c on your trip?
Your clean lines have caused me to reconsider the roof top unit.
A metal liner with insulation, ventilation and a good drain could be great. Your installation looks clean, as usual.
Any comments or observations if it was used?
R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:51 PM   #377
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Rob
Uwe,
Did you use the a/c on your trip?
Your clean lines have caused me to reconsider the roof top unit.
A metal liner with insulation, ventilation and a good drain could be great. Your installation looks clean, as usual.
Any comments or observations if it was used?
R
R,

I did not use the A/C on this trip, as it was actually sort of cool by the pacific Ocean during the day, and the fantastic fans were plenty on low speed to disburse the heat inside the trailer.
I did, however, use it extensively while building the interior inside my shop, where often the temps reached 90F+ during the last few weeks before the Rally.
I tapped the bottom of the existing metal pan and installed a flexible sprinkler riser as a drain that goes through the floor, and then through the belly pan. This works very well, no water on the floor or anywhere but out of the drain pipe. Lots of it, as a matter of fact.
With just having 2 insulated ducts installed, no registers, the trailer gets very nice and cold inside. I am hoping that there is enough airflow to push the cold air up and through the furniture, through about 10ft of ducting....keeping my fingers crossed. I will have to bring the cold air outlets up and into the streetside furniture, somehow.There will be adjustable 4in outlets rear, center and front. Return is directly to the unit, under the bed, through a furnace filter.
I, too, am very pleased about the clean lines. I also like the handling of the trailer with the 80lb a/c unit right on the floor line, instead of 7ft higher on top of the roof. It tows very steady, with little or no toppling from side to side. But it's actually too soon to tell how it will end up towing, as much weight will still be added to it in teh form of cabinetry, bedding, upholstery and supplies.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:26 PM   #378
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Cool and Warm/Low Center of Gravity

Heat rises-cold falls,
Warm the air low, drop cool air high,
Use thermodynamics to do the work.
Maybe ductwork like heater up and down,
Keep it simple and light, CG down.
Yes, you have done it.
Thanks.
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 08:39 AM   #379
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
The only drawback is the space that the unit takes up. It is not any more than the big old round tank water heater took up, as it uses the same cutout in the skin. I try and not waste any storage space anywhere else, to make up for it.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #380
SqurlGurl

1977 31' Excella 500
Bozman , Maryland
Uwe,
Where did you purchase your recessed lighting? I saw them in a 2005 AS and love the look.
-Tracey

(\__/) (((( ))))
/O O ./ ((( ))))
{O__, \ (( )))
/ . . ) \ )))))
|-| '-' \ (()
.( _( )_.'
'---.~_ _

squrlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote