Old 05-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
The original purchaser of our 2001 Safari had the front sofa replaced at JC with LaZBoy recliners and custom storage around the front and sides that removed the flip up table. At first we liked it, and still like the idea of the recliners, but we had to eat off TV trays which was inconvenient with the rocking motion of the recliners and there was no inside guest seating.

We traded for a 2002 Classic 30 slideout with a Villa leather jackknife sofa in front which is not as comfortable as our previous recliners. We talk occasionally about replacing it with a recliner sofa, but I want to be sure to get head support and to retain the bed conversion.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
recliners

yeah the recliners look intriguing, the wife and cat prefer the couch, where I end up being the backrest of a 'recliner' . I guess if you can get recliners that are 'heated' they may move off me and onto the recliner. Until then probably not.
Been thinking about a Mitchell Gold/ Bob Williams couch replacement .
( Made in NC).
Comfortable like home. Maybe cut one down from the outlet or something.
The ottoman has really helped the standard couch in the Serenity.

Have a good one,

Old 05-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Town , Iowa
We have the 30ft FB rear dinette, I like the recliner and the wife enjoys a couch to lie down. Took out dinette and replaced with a Lazyboy. Was going to order Villa online but really wanted to set in before buying, works for us. The end table is temporary til we figure out if we want built in or furniture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	262298  
TinTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #18

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Wanship , Utah
All interesting options, thinking of replacing the L shaped couch in my 30'FC to recliners. JC seems to be the most expensive option, looks like this might be a good DIY, any thoughts or comments.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahron View Post
All interesting options, thinking of replacing the L shaped couch in my 30'FC to recliners. JC seems to be the most expensive option, looks like this might be a good DIY, any thoughts or comments.
I think so. As noted earlier we put the 30 recliner seats and tables in our 25. It took me an hour or so to remove the dinette and lounge from our 25 with only a power screwdriver. The thing to look for before you start is if there are any major systems under the couch such as the electrical converter/charger or furnace.

If clear under there its just a matter of taking out the couch, probably filling some little screw holes in the vinyl floor, putting screws or rivets in any holes in the walls (you'll never notice them, they are among many others and mostly behind the recliners), and setting in the chairs of choice.

I would recommend a fold-down table top between the (swivel) recliners 24-28" wide (probably tapered to fit nicer between the chairs) and 28-30" long. You will use it for computers, writing, smaller meals, and snacks/drinks when watching movies or tv. We made one (after the photo) and it stays up whenever we are in camp.

We did not fasten the recliners to the floor and they have never moved when traveling. I like the idea of keeping the Airstream's hitch weight close to 10% of trailer weight, so among the steps we have taken, before hitting the road we slide the recliners back a few feet. Less hitch weight gives us more payload capacity in the truck, less w.d. bar tension and smoother ride.

Shop around for recliners, pick ones that suit you. The Airstream Villa recliners fit the space nicely and are at least okay for comfort, but there may be some you like better. We like the villa recliners well enough but the flip-back head pillow can be irritating, we flip it back a lot.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
We had JC replace our couch with 2 recliners and love them. The couch was very uncomfortable and the rocking recliners are great for individual control.
Very, very few RV sofas offer anywhere close to the comfort of a good quality home sofa. We have replaced the RV sofa in three RVs (two motorhomes and our Airstream) with Best Furniture Picot swivel/rocker recliners and we've spent countless hours relaxing (and many hours napping) in our recliners. They make extended time spent inside the RV very comfortable and relaxing.

Generally speaking, RV sofas really suck after about 10 minutes of sitting on them. Then what do you do?
Old 05-10-2016, 11:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
It will be interesting to see how I like the sofa in my classic when I pick up up on Thursday. I have yet to see anyone post that they have removed the reclining sofa on the 2015-2016 Classic, so it can't be that bad! I could always rip it out and put in a recliner and a mini-desk.

Funny, I have yet to see the current Classic area with the sofa removed to check out the guts. Can't find any pictures.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:39 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
We checked out the reclining sofa in the 2016 Classic and while it is a modest improvement over the slab sofas in other Airstream models, it has no headrest and really offers no where near the comfort of a high quality recliner.

I'd say that the Classic reclining sofa can 'make-do' better than the slab sofa, unless and until you desire the true reclining comfort that only high quality recliners can offer.

For people who do not spend a lot of time sitting inside their trailer, the reclining sofa may suffice. For people who do enjoy spending a lot of time sitting inside their trailer... recliners offer the ultimate in comfort.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
We checked out the reclining sofa in the 2016 Classic and while it is a modest improvement over the slab sofas in other Airstream models, it has no headrest and really offers no where near the comfort of a high quality recliner.

I'd say that the Classic reclining sofa can 'make-do' better than the slab sofa, unless and until you desire the true reclining comfort that only high quality recliners can offer.

For people who do not spend a lot of time sitting inside their trailer, the reclining sofa may suffice. For people who do enjoy spending a lot of time sitting inside their trailer... recliners offer the ultimate in comfort.
Ya, I will definitely report back on how I like the sofa or if I want to remove it.

A couple of things to note: the classic sofa reclines back to a little ledge, so a simple pillow could solve the-no headrest issue. Also, there are tradeoffs with a recliner. I also like to lay down width wise on a couch to watch a movie, something you cannot do with a recliner. Plus the loss of one sleep spot.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The irony of recliner models selling poorly off the showroom floor is how many people convert to recliners after spending some time on the various bench seat configurations.

Time spent at the showroom does not equal actually living in it. I think folks count the number seating positions when shopping, quantity beats quality. With the recliner option gone, only the new Classic offers a place to relax comfortably. Real sofas were common in Airstreams only a few years ago.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #25
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I agree. If the focus is maximum sleeping area, then I understand why the recliner option is not popular. But some of us only need to sleep two. Everyone else for themselves! I am not sure couples are the target demographic for 30' recliner models...
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Agree.... some people think they really want or need to be able to sleep more than themselves in their RV (whatever the type or brand), thus RV makers have focused on making every possible spot for someone to sleep... sofas that turn into beds, dinettes that turn into mini beds, etc.

But not everyone wants or needs any more sleeping capability than their own bed. We decided that our sitting, relaxing, reclining comfort easily trumped having additional sleeping or sitting positions that might only occasionally be used. We went straight to recliners. This option won't work for everyone.

But once you've spent more than 15 minutes on most of the rv sofas that are in rigs these days, you realize how uncomfortable they are for anything beyond just a few minutes.