Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
27FB Question

I only see twin beds shown in a Classic model 27FB. Can you get them in a International or Flying Cloud?
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I only see twin beds shown in a Classic model 27FB. Can you get them in a International or Flying Cloud?
Sure can!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-364155613.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	156.7 KB
ID:	201520

Got this on their "live rivited" app which points to their website for trailer floor plans. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The International models do not offer twin beds, the Flying Cloud and Classic models do offer twin beds.

I have heard of one twin bed customization by the factory for an International model.

We would have considered a twin bed 27FB International when we ordered the twin bed 27FB Classic. But then we decided to jump one more time while the pay to play number was only $3,012 for the next model up in the Classic line with twin beds.

Note that at least in the Classic trim line, the choice of a queen bed or twin beds does not change the price, despite all the extra storage cabinets and storage access hatches in the twin bed model.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
switz: I am curious as to why the FB floor plan is not available in the 30' models. Other than the extra room, were there any other reasons that made you want to go with the 30' Rear Bed over the 27' Front Bed? Also, why isn't the twin bed FB available in the International?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
We started with the 25FB International and the cross frame bed and rear roof locker access were issues for us. We went to our first rally and got to actually spend time seated inside for meals and even tried the TV for the first time. We wished we had started with a 27FB.

The last 15 feet or so of the 25FB and 27FB with the side bench seating, dinette and kitchen space are virtually identical measurement wise. The extra 2' shows up in a wider pantry and wider closest plus a few inches in the bedroom to swing the queen bed in line with the frame.

After discussing my poor selection process many times that ended up with the 25FB (from overseas never seeing any actual Airstream or standing in one, but that is another story), I stopped by the new local dealership to schedule service on the trailer. There was a 2011 34' tri-axle Classic on the lot and I looked inside. I liked the wood look, so went home and brought my wife to see the unit. She liked the wood look, but not the length.

We decided to order a 27FB Classic with twin beds for additional space in the bed room and more usable storage. Twin beds is a no cost option. The discussions continued about the dinette area and the inability for us to get comfortable sitting sideways to view the TV.

After a period of time, we decided to go ahead and upgrade the order for $3,012 more to get the 31' long Classic Model 30. The comfort issue for us was resolved and we did not have to go through the purchase process again taking the bath on depreciation and dealership profit if we moved from the 27FB to the 31' model.

The marketing folks at Airstream make the decisions of what floor plans will be used on which trim lines and how to differentiate the trim lines. You will see the Classic name even on 25' older Airstreams. I have heard of only one custom ordered International made with twin beds.

All the current 31' models, except the Flying Cloud Bunkhouse, have rear master bedrooms. The 23', 25' and 27/28' models in the International and the Flying Cloud trim lines offer the choice of front or rear bedrooms.

Some folks want the dining area in the back as they perceive that is where the views will be and there would be more privacy with the curtains open. Most of the time the bedroom curtains are closed, so put that by the hitch.

Some folks want the "quiet" of a rear bedroom being away from the street and do not mind looking at the back of the truck when they eat.

Choices and floor plans are in the eye of the beholder.

Here is a link to the Colonial Airstream dealership to download the 2014 Catalog:

http://colonialairstream.com/Airstre...el_trailer.pdf

While at the Colonial website, you will see the largest inventory of Airstreams with lots of photos of each unit in stock. That is a great starting point. But the best next step is go to a dealership and spend literally several hours in each model, lay on the bed and see if you hit your head sitting up, what is it like to crawl down a bed without waking the spouse for a bathroom run in the middle of the night, sit and look at the television, imagine your stuff in the closets and kitchen area etc. If there are more than two folks (kids) then get them in there as well and see how the space fills up quickly. There will be rainy days and can your entire family withstand that close proximity and where would little ones put their toys? How about the dogs and cats and their sleeping spaces?

Lots of things to consider while pushing numbers with the pencils before signing the contract in ink.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 12-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Thanks switz, great info. I still wonder why AS doesn't offer the 31' in a FB floorplan. The 27FB is one of their most popular floor plans, so seems like it should be available in a 31' also.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
The frames seem to appear to be different in terms of the axle(s) location when switching the bedroom from front to back. Using the same frames for the Flying Cloud and International allows for some economies of scale in the frames.

From looking at all the dealership websites over the last year, the Classic line is probably sub ten percent or maybe even five percent of production. Their GVW weights, even for the 27FB exceed the GVWs of the 31' Flying Clouds and Internationals. So, those three Classic models have two different frames and share 5,000 pound rated axles.

The 31' models have the lounge and dinette in the front because of the teeter toter fulcrum of the axle location. Look at where the appliances and furniture weight are positioned (Fridge is over the axle for example). They have to balance the load to end up with a nominal 10% tongue weight and that means designing the load either side of the axles. Also, moving the axles forward has a tremendous impact on tow ability and handling.

Pushing some numbers between a Classic and an International 27FB one finds that the real solid wood cabinetry and upgraded fixtures and propane tanks adds about 800 pounds to the Classic empty weight.

The squeaky wheel gets the oil, so if there were enough requests, perhaps Airstream would implement the front bedroom configuration in the 31' models in addition to the Bunkhouse.

What is interesting to me is that the options list on the Flying Cloud and International 31' models can push their prices to the same level as the Classic models. Thus, the selection process is now one of the eye of the beholder whether they like real wood (old style), beige formica, basically white formica, or dark formica interiors.

To differentiate, some models have a Corian kitchen counter top and different drawer pulls and slides, some have LED lights etc. The mechanical things like stove, fridge, toilet, shower, cooktop, power connections etc are common, but the "quality" changes like a tall toilet versus a low toilet.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Great explanation, thanks.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Where can you get a list of available options with prices?
Old 12-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
You have to ask the local dealership for one.

I had to sign one when I custom ordered the Classic unit(s). I have only the Classic 2014 price list.

Note that all dealerships incur the same shipping charges for the same unit even if they are in California or Ohio. Since the forums conversations point to around 20% off list for an outright sale, one has to think the dealership gets 25 to 30% at least off of list price as a discount.

Our local chap says the profit on the trailer sale is the gravy (Same with automobile dealerships). The parts and labor charges in back pay all the expenses. Thus the over $100 per hour labor charge even for unskilled labor at minimum wage.

If you are interested in the Classic details, send me a PM and I will send the information to you directly from the Classic price list.

As an addition to my earlier post, the older models did have front bedrooms, so I lack the knowledge of when that option was discontinued.