Old 05-13-2016, 04:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I two years I have not used my oven. It does make a nice storage space for the cast iron. I carry a small toaster oven that I use often for toast, etc.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 10:51 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

We have been RVing since 1988 and never used our gas ovens. When we ordere4d our 2016 Flying Cloud 28, we opted to replace the gas oven with a microwave/convection. No regrets so far. It all depends on How much you plan to cook on the road.

Old 05-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We've had three Airstreams over the last ten years. We have used them a lot. We are approaching 1,700 nights of Airstream camping, and 150,000 miles of Airstream towing. Our first two Airstream (a 25FB and a 23FB) had the gas ovens. I wouldn't say that they were wasted space as we stored Moose Tags and mailing supplies in them while traveling. As far as cooking in them, we used them once or twice out behind the house to give us extra oven space at Thanksgiving.

Our current Airstream is a 2015 Flying Cloud 25FB. It does not have the gas oven; it has the convection microwave. We have already put over 200 nights of camping in this Airstream and have never missed the gas oven for one minute.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We now spend half our life traveling with our Airstream. Cheryl uses the oven both at home and the Airstream all the time. No difference in diet. She does like the smaller convection oven for smaller items when there are electrical hookups, so uses them both, sometimes at the same time. And sometimes when I'm outside grilling. Then there's the stovetop burners, and this neat Nu-Wave appliance that heats only the pan and food.

Many ways to cook food in a modern camper. I don't know how we did it with our 1972 VW Camper, had a Coleman gas stove and a few sticks of firewood for the campground grill. The built-in fridge used ice to cool, and the sink faucet hand-pumped room temp water from the little tank. Great times, traveled all over North America and never knew how poorly equipped we were.

Sixty air-cooled horsepower and we did the Ike Gauntlet.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Like to cook?

I like to cook and enjoy using the convection feature on the microwave. When we bought our 25FB I was a little leery of learning about the new gadget, having had a gas oven in our previous unit. I realized, though, that I didn't use the oven a lot before. So it wasn't a big loss. Now I try to make something new on every trip so I can learn about the convection properties.

The oven is a little daunting at first, but once you understand the principle behind it, you'll do pretty well. Read the instructions carefully. And re-check them every time you use it. At first, I couldn't believe I could put metal cookware in it! However, that's only when the convection is being used, not the microwave. I haven't had a recipe turn out bad yet. I have made roasts, quick breads, pizza and more.

One useful item the instructions told me to get was a cheap metal pizza pan. $1 at Walmart. It works well for roasting lean meats. I store it in the narrow upright closet next to the stove.

Occasionally I have to adjust my cooking style. If the oven is hot from convecting, I can't use the microwave feature with plastic cookware. Ceramic cookware works well, though. I have some nesting Corning ware casseroles that are fine.

We will be boondocking more this year, so I don't expect to be using the unit as much. When we're off the grid, I use the stovetop and grill. I don't use the oven in hot weather, no matter what.

The only thing my convection/microwave doesn't seem to do well is microwave popcorn. If anyone has figured that out, let me know.

In sum, if you like to cook and don't mind the learning curve, it will be fine. If you don't like to cook but use a microwave a lot, it will be fine, too.

I'm sure you'll love your final choice, no matter what it is. Let us know what you decide upon.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors4me View Post
The only thing my convection/microwave doesn't seem to do well is microwave popcorn. If anyone has figured that out, let me know.
Same here, and for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

Have gone retro and use Jiffy Pop stovetop popcorn. Works over a campfire, too.

Greg
Old 05-14-2016, 01:50 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Here is a similar thread in praise of a gas oven:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ven-28619.html

We bought our new FC20 BECAUSE it has a gas oven!
Old 05-14-2016, 04:59 PM   #22
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
My vote would be for the gas oven and microwave. I can't do without the microwave and also prefer the gas oven.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #23
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Sixty air-cooled horsepower and we did the Ike Gauntlet.

My Dad grew up in Denver and Casper in the 1930s and '40s. About halfway up the local "Four Mile Hill" one swung the car around. And then proceeded in Reverse. Passengers helping push.

Propane only barely edges out water as the most important RV system. Safe to say that the ability to warm the interior, cook food and heat water (as well as light the interior), makes these trailers what they are.

I may not use the oven all that much, but enjoy the times I do. Not to say I wouldn't like to upgrade to better quality. And see no reason not to add a convection/microwave.

I'd hate to make it either/or. But I'd choose propane power first.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
[QUOTE=dkottum;1790587]I think the simple answer is if you use your oven at home you will miss not having it when traveling.

We had a series of campers for 40 years without ovens, never again. The 25 FB has a convection oven/microwave over the fridge as well as the gas oven./QUOTE]

I think that you'll find it's the 25rb that has the microwave over the fridge and the 25fb has the option of oven or convection microwave but not both.
We chose the oven in our 25fb International as we boondock a lot and as other have said, it makes a great storage for fry pans and other cooking pots while on the road.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:18 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
We use our gas oven all the time, no microwave and we don't miss it at all. Love it for baked potatoes, making toast for breakfast, apple crisp on a cool fall day (great aroma for in the trailer), etc.

A microwave requires 110 and we dry camp about half of the time when on the road. For us would be a waste of space.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
"I think that you'll find it's the 25rb that has the microwave over the fridge and the 25fb has the option of oven or convection microwave but not both."

Thanks for the correction, you would think we would know having a rb.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:26 PM   #27
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Mine has a microwave and gas oven. I love the gas oven. I wouldn't consider a trailer without one.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:41 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There were only three options for the 2015 23D International Serenity, a 1000 watt inverter, a convection/microwave upgrade and the street side and rear awnings package. The dealers typically loaded all three for more profit.

Our standard Dometic stove top/oven combo did an exceptionally poor job of temperature management in the oven. We have just upgraded the stock stove to the Dometic CU434 stove top/oven and have yet to cook with the oven.

We are not too impressed with the convection microwave but at least we can run it when boon-docking since we have a 3000 watt inverter that replaced the stock inverter that can NOT even power the microwave.

Before purchase, get inside the various models, lie down on the bed and situp to see if you hit your head on the rear or front roof locker. Try and pretend to make the cross frame queen bed. (The twins are doable, but not like at home). Sit in the dinette and look at the television. Is your neck twisted? If sitting on the dinette seat with your feet up, are you comfortable?

Look at the access point to the storage under the bed. Can you reach the far extremes? The models with the front access hatch behind the propane tanks are more likely to have higher maintenance on that hatch to keep it from leaking due to the water pressure in the rain when driving.

Spend serious time in each model. There will be one that seems to hit all the buttons. Keep in mind the tow vehicle requirements can change if the two foot "itis" hits- if we get a longer trailer....

Good luck!

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote