Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2017, 10:35 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
I love all the mods that AS Adventures does, but they sure are pricey. Our 23D has the same dinette/sofa combo that the 25FB and 27FB have. We are very tired of that seating arrangement, and so we are thinking that a 30 footer is in our future. We like that the 27 has a big pantry like our 23, but we don't want that dinette/sofa again. Sigh.

Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
I posted these pictures below, from AS Adventures custom shop in Washington area, sometime back. I believe AS may have experimented toward this with making the 26U. At any rate, this type set up has unique value in the layout for many and can be had for a hefty price of around $14K as I recall. Anyway, it is pretty functional and would likely garner many orders if it were offered stock by AS in the 25 or 26' models...my 2cents! You can also order the storage area with only 3 drawers and a desk arrangement and the tables can be swiveled, or remove one so you only have a cocktail or game table for lounging...anyone here see the similarities to the Tommy Bahama bar?? Wife loves this set up concept!
My mistake; I meant it would be great if offered in a 23, 25, or 27 model as options...26 is fine as is...just narrow hallway and fridge access is not ideal with the current access. Many however, love it despite my bias..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #83
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

We started this round of shopping with a 25' as the "most likely" candidate after the internet research phase. We wound up with the Classic primarily because of the seating. If there had been a 28' with the same basic seating arrangement as the 30', we certainly would have looked hard at it.

If you are looking for a wider range of places you can go with a trailer, length is not the only parameter. Ground clearance matters as well. Yes, you can put lift kits on an AS. If I look at what my truck can clear / handle compared to the trailer, a 2" lift is only just getting started ....

Bob
Your comment made me think of a crazy idea (some, including my DW, would say that is not so unusual). Would the seating unit in a 30 Classic fit in the front of a 28? If so it would not be a major modification to remove the lounge seating in a 28 and replace it with the seating area (including the power recliners) of a 30 Classic. All it would take is money and knowing where to buy the recliner/sofa used in the 30 Classic.

Is that crazy or what?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:04 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Hans said:
Quote:
Would the seating unit in a 30 Classic fit in the front of a 28? If so it would not be a major modification to remove the lounge seating in a 28 and replace it with the seating area (including the power recliners) of a 30 Classic. All it would take is money and knowing where to buy the recliner/sofa used in the 30 Classic.

Is that crazy or what?
Not at all. Basically the sofa is a Villa International. They are fantastic reclining or not. They made mine for my Safari and last week, when I looked at the 33' Classic, the model had the exact stitch pattern and ultra leather color I have that was recommended to me. The regular non-power jackknife version as in the 2014 or so Classic is $3000. It is very comfortable and makes a great sleeper too, even as a jacknife or just left up for one.
I like a living area with comfortable seating and TV capability. Really, the more built-in, the less room you have unless it multi-tasks. I think where Airstream should go with this is modular multi-task. That is what I liked about the 23C with that roll-away table and lounge and my 25 with the sofa- open space. For some reason though, those models are less appreciated sales-wise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1401.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	299402  
Old 11-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #85

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0830.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	299410
Aftermarket with recliners at each end
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:38 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Sorry Hans, I answered your question totally in the wrong way. Yes it would fit! Nice sofa sheriff1.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:04 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I just read all the posts. Some great advice from many perspectives. The best thing about questions like this is that although ultimately you will make your own decision, you gain from the experience of why others chose what they did. BYW, I have a wrong measure on my own 25’. The bedroom length measure is 83”. The older mattresses are 78” but an 80” mattress would easily fit as there is enough gap space. You would need to check new 25’ models. The 2014 25’ sterling has 83” bedroom but things change.
Old 11-19-2017, 08:25 AM   #88
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Your comment made me think of a crazy idea (some, including my DW, would say that is not so unusual). Would the seating unit in a 30 Classic fit in the front of a 28? If so it would not be a major modification to remove the lounge seating in a 28 and replace it with the seating area (including the power recliners) of a 30 Classic. All it would take is money and knowing where to buy the recliner/sofa used in the 30 Classic.

Is that crazy or what?
Hi

As mentioned by several people above, yes, the sofa / recliner / whatever is a pretty standard item. It would fit in the end of any "wide body" AS. I'm sure they also have models that would fit in the narrower trailers as well.

If you look at the price delta between the 30' Classic and the 30' FC, spending a few thousand dollars doing something like this is not at all nutty. If AS had it as an option, they most certainly would charge more than $3,000.

With any conversion, it's not just the price of the raw components. The quality of the workmanship (as shown in the very nice pictures above) also matters a lot. That either takes a bit of care from a DIY owner or you spend a bit to get it done.

In terms of "just drop it in": There is about a foot from the end of the recliner to the back of the dinette in the 30'. There is a *big* empty space back there as a result. Depending on how long your legs are, you may or may not need any "foot dangle" room off the end of the recliner.

One other drop it in note - If you go with the power recliners, you want them to be on an inverter circuit. You also want to *remember* they are on an inverter circuit when the shore power goes down and the foot rests are up I have data on this ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 30
1985 31' Excella
Sacramento , California
[QUOTE=switz;2035884]SOBs are usually measured by the length of the "box" whereas Airstreams are measured from the back of the rear bumper to the front of the hitch ball socket.

Nope in calif the DMV measure the length of the trailer from the ball to the back bumper... and that is why A/S does the same...
GM Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #90
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Hans said:

Not at all. Basically the sofa is a Villa International. They are fantastic reclining or not. They made mine for my Safari and last week, when I looked at the 33' Classic, the model had the exact stitch pattern and ultra leather color I have that was recommended to me. The regular non-power jackknife version as in the 2014 or so Classic is $3000. It is very comfortable and makes a great sleeper too, even as a jacknife or just left up for one.
I like a living area with comfortable seating and TV capability. Really, the more built-in, the less room you have unless it multi-tasks. I think where Airstream should go with this is modular multi-task. That is what I liked about the 23C with that roll-away table and lounge and my 25 with the sofa- open space. For some reason though, those models are less appreciated sales-wise.
Another crazy question. Could a new model, like a 27, be ordered without the dinette installed? Or a 28 without the sofa sitting area? If that were possible an aftermarket sitting area, with recliners maybe, could more easily be installed. Just curious if anyone has done this.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Those are good questions for Airstream. I know that some on the forum probably think I am over-the-top on my opinionated comments but I believe it would be in their best interest to consider what you ask. As I have skimmed threads on modifications on Airstreams, something I have noticed over and over is the vast number of people that remove the dinettes. Why? Because they say it is uncomfortable seating and restrictive to space. Having a table in a camper is important. That is why I prefer the pull up flip out table along the wall that they have put in units for years. Seating is more an issue to solve. Some like sofas. Some like recliners. Comfort is important and a qualifying sofa is harder to find than a recliner. I needed the multi-functionality of my OEM sofa- seating, bed, under storage too much to consider anything else. Luckily the Villa sofa I got is comfortable. Airstream seems to be considering the ability to sleep 4-5 and thus adds arrangements to create that need. I believe modular customizing is the only way to go. "Hey, I only need to sleep 2, or 3 at most. That changes things. Most people I know of, have purchased new ones and customized them after the fact but doing it at order would be better if possible.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:03 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When our 2014 was being built in January of 2014, I looked into the unit one morning and they had installed the incorrect stock flooring. The gaggle of supervisors and I went into the shop floor office to see if they had misplaced the change order. Nope, so I emailed them my copy from the customer service center signed by the VPO of production and the floor was changed after taking out the installed bathroom wall and shower.

Their stack of change orders was nearly 1.5" thick, so things can be changed. We left the factory twin mattresses at the factory as we had different ones on order.

Changing out stuff that hides the furnace or incoming wiring could be problematic unless the unit were going to an authorized modification shop from the factory. Taking stuff out after it is delivered to the end user does does not create a factory liability.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:42 AM   #93
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Another crazy question. Could a new model, like a 27, be ordered without the dinette installed? Or a 28 without the sofa sitting area? If that were possible an aftermarket sitting area, with recliners maybe, could more easily be installed. Just curious if anyone has done this.
Hi

I think that the simple answer is: Once you get past color changes or something like that, it gets expensive fast. Most have reported that it is cheaper to order with this or that and then throw it away.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:32 PM   #94
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Some dealers have their own shops that enable them to do a surprising amount of customization. If you want a custom interior for your trailer, the factory won't help you out, and you have a budget that allows you to do the work anyway, you might want to use one of them. Here is one example: https://seattleairstream.com/ultimateairstreams.asp

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #95
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Here are some pictures from the site mentioned above to get your thoughts going...I like the wine bar/storage counter idea with the lounge options...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf new options for as.pdf (361.0 KB, 88 views)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote