Old 11-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #57
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It's pretty easy to sit and watch the inventory roll through the "internet enabled" dealer's lots. Based on a quick glance, they sell a *lot* of smaller trailers for every Classic that rolls out.

There is a lot of data in the auto market relating to people trading in a car as soon as it's (almost) paid off. I wonder if it works the same way for Airstreams? I can't relate to the basic logic of doing this. My guess would not be worth much in this case.

Bob

Old 11-13-2017, 02:18 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
25 vs 27 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

It's pretty easy to sit and watch the inventory roll through the "internet enabled" dealer's lots. Based on a quick glance, they sell a *lot* of smaller trailers for every Classic that rolls out.

There is a lot of data in the auto market relating to people trading in a car as soon as it's (almost) paid off. I wonder if it works the same way for Airstreams? I can't relate to the basic logic of doing this. My guess would not be worth much in this case.

Bob

I agree. My local Airstream dealer on my visit the other day said they cannot keep Bambi models in stock. My take is that it is all about price point, tow capabilities and meeting basic camping needs. It must be a trend across the board. The local CampingWorld three years ago was almost entirely motorhome sales. Now they have mostly trailers on the lot. That would seem to signal price point marketing.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:18 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I think that the switch to campers versus buses reflects the reality of the floor plan costs more than providing customers with choices.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:54 AM   #60
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
...I still hold to my opinion that the 25, 27 and 28 or very similar.

I completely agree. 25-28 models are all in the same fine class. The real difference seems to be between the 23FB and the 25-28 group. If you want smaller, the 23FB looks wonderful. If you want bigger, anything in the 25-28 family is great, depending on which floor plan you like best.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #61
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Back in 2007-2010 many dealer made the same observation - they were selling *big* MH's pretty well and almost nothing else. I don't know if that was a PA thing or true across the country. We now seem to be back to a more normal market for a lot of things, not just RV's.

Bob
Old 11-14-2017, 10:58 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
25 or 27...or 28?

The 25' is the most popular AS. After owning 3 different 25's over the past 10 years, including 2 twin bed models; we moved up to a new 28' Twin this past April. We considered purchasing a 4th new 25' Twin, and we also evaluated upgrading to the new 27' Twin, before choosing the 28' Twin. As others have said, the Twin gives you more room in bedroom to change, more sleeping surface (34" X 2= 68"; twin is 60" wide), and 2 extra storage compartments outside, not offered with the Queen models.

We liked the extra closet and cabinet storage space in the 27' Twin, but the dinning area with the long lounge was not very comfortable for watching TV or visiting. 23', 25', and 27' models have that same layout. That's why we went to the 28'. So far, the 28' has worked out great! We have traveled 22K miles now since April, and spent 83 nights in her. We have stayed in National Parks, State Parks, Army Corp. Engineers parks, Good Sam parks, and have not had an issue with the length of the 28', which is actually 27' 11" long....

Towing and maneuvering the 28' is noticeable over the 25's we have owned. Our new F250 works well with the extra weight of the 28'. I can't speak to the 30' or 33', but for us, the 28' works out fine.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:17 AM   #63
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
The 25' is the most popular AS. .....
Hi

Most popular in terms of units sold in the last few years?

Most popular over the history of AS?

Most popular over the last two decades?

Just wondering

Bob
Old 11-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Hi

Just wondering

Bob
My understanding is the 25' is most popular in terms of sales...but that data was from a "sales manager" earlier this year. Think that has been the case for past several years, but what do I know?

I do believe the 25' is a great size overall. For lounging comfort, however, I like the U-shaped seating lounge in the 26' and L-couch & separate dinning booth in the 28' models. I am not up to towing anything longer yet or the 30 or 33 Classic would be a fine choice.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:04 PM   #65
SophieHaus

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2007 25' International CCD FB
2006 23' Safari SE
Cave Creek , Arizona
The 25 RB the microwave is located above the refrigerator and not stuffed in a pantry like it is in the 27 footer. I think the 25's microwave is bigger and can also be a convection microwave.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #66
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctimberlake View Post
I知 planning to purchase a new Airstream with one of the above sizes. I知 Still undecided on size as I致e heard that bigger (27 ft) while possibly more comfortable may be significantly more restrictive to many camping areas, national parks, state parks than a 25 ft. Any experience or thoughts to pass along? Rehashed many times I知 sure!
You are right on both accounts. We focused more on floor plan and decided on a forward twin bedroom model and THAT has payed off 10 fold.

The only negative we found with Airstream is, their beds are crap. And ours fell two to three inches short of the cavity length. We went one summer before finding, and I do mean finding, a company who would make twin beds with the radius in a regular, good ole' fashioned, pillow top, house-sized SPRING mattress. Heaven. AND they are flipable. A bit heavier than the originals but, well worth it.

We purchased a 25 just last year and are thrilled with our choice. We went with a 25 because of many reasons one of which is our two black retrievers who go with us at all times (even one day out-and-backs). They have their own food, their own needs, their own beds and the 25 still fits great.

It's also a bit easier to drive and aim.

IMHO, the 27 is a 25 with two extra feet. Wardrobe space being the most obvious. The beds are the same size, the stove, refrigerator, and shower are the same size as well as tank sizes. Less to heat and less to cool. I'm not certain about outside cubby space being the same.

The real answer is, yes, I'd do it again.

Good luck shopping.
Popeye

2015 RAM Laramie Eco-Diesel 4x4 crew cab w/RAM box
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #67

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
And another thing.

Quote:
I知 planning to purchase a new Airstream with one of the above sizes. I知 Still undecided on size as I致e heard that bigger (27 ft) while possibly more comfortable may be significantly more restrictive to many camping areas, national parks, state parks than a 25 ft. Any experience or thoughts to pass along? Rehashed many times I知 sure!
We went with a convection-microwave oven which Airstream places it under the stove which opens up the pantry space and/or storage space above the freezer.

What an amazing machine. Frozen pizza in minutes. AND crispy crust, not doughy.

A drawback is, primitive campers don't like them because they cannot be used without 30 amp hookup.

Popeye

Old 11-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #68

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
The fudge factor.

Quote:
Otherwise, story-telling.

We just got back from NC a few weeks ago where we met a couple with a 43 foot, fifth-wheel.

They claimed it was a 39 footer in order to gain access to the park.

No doubt some Airstreamers do the same.

Popeye

Old 11-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Hi

Just wondering

Bob
My understanding is the 25' is most popular in terms of sales...but that data was from a "sales manager" earlier this year. Think that has been the case for past several years, but what do I know?

I do believe the 25' is a great size overall. For lounging comfort, however, I like the U-shaped seating lounge in the 26' and L-couch & separate dinning booth in the 28' models. I am not up to towing anything longer yet or the 30 or 33 Classic would be a fine choice.
No, the data was not just from one sales manager this year. That is a several year statistic and not based on current model choices. When I first started shopping for an Airstream years ago, I was first told that the 25' length was the most sold size as it represented the smallest wide-body and features of the larger trailers in a smaller platform. Now, yes, you can go back to the point of before the wide-body and perhaps come up with a different model but, I was told the 25' popularity many times shopping. Basically you are talking Tradewind/Overlander/Safari/Flying Cloud and others. Even my floor plan was made 23 years under different trim lines. The local dealer told me that this year, at their Airstream dealer meeting, they were told that the Sport 22' was the top seller now. They also cannot keep Bambi units on their lot very long. They recently got two more- a Tommy Bahama 19' and a Sport 16' but believe one is sold. Interestingly, they have about five 25' models on the lot plus one used 25' Sterling and a used 26U.

As far as lying about length, be careful. I made reservations at a park in North Carolina- Carolina Beach State Park, a few years ago to visit my brother. I TOLD them my correct length and they had one spot left for July 4th weekend telling me I could squeeze it in. I got there and it was almost dark. The spot they gave me had a raised grilling platform dead center of two trees in the middle of the site. I could not get around it because of the trees and I was sticking out on the drive. The ranger came and they put me on another "just canceled" site but AFTER I got set up on the new site, The ranger came back telling me that someone booked the site before they could change the availability. I said tough. I was told I would have to move. I told them to give them my old site. The point is that even though park personnel or you may think you can park in a spot listed for a different size, you may find that is not the case and get into a jam. A 25 or 27 should not make too much difference in this case but do some investigating. In FL, for example, I found by playiing in reservations that 28' is the cutoff. More spaces available under 29', more limited on longer spots. That can change too as parks update. I like the 26U as well. Nice layout.
Old 11-16-2017, 01:51 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Couple comments:
1) size does matter... I understand the concerns for size, but I have found that most parks "guestimate" with their "size" limitations. Not saying 100% here but "most of the time", we have found the size was conservative in the descriptions given after we arrived. We have not been disappointed with the 25 or the 28 so far...I try to ask this question prior to booking...I might add that some of the "locations" however, are very difficult to maneuver into...and that can be a problem.
2) The front twin 25' or 27' is great and each has 3 outside storage areas; the rear 25' twin however, has 4 outside storage areas...outside storage on our 28' twin (same as in the 27 twin), is very nice and offers much more space versus the 25's.
3) The 27' and the rear twin 25', includes the microwave (can be convection combo here) and it also has a window in the bath...wife loves that even though we do not have in our unit. I understand you can get the 27' without the microwave also...more storage.
4) mattress not comfortable...our 2014 twin 25' mattress' were not comfortable at all; bottom out each night by morning. However, AS made a change in the newer models; now our 2017 28' twin mattress are very comfortable. Wife likes the AS bed's better then our $3K king set at home!