Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums

Old 05-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #1

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Orinda , California
25 Foot 2014 FC steps for flushing and emptying black water tank

We are on our first trip with our new AS. We want to make sure we empty the tanks thoroughly and properly to avoid any odor. Can anyone recommend a step-by-step guide? Our manual doesn't offer much info.
Thank you.
Enjoy your streamers

Old 05-18-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Empty the black tank first.
Once it's empty hook a non-drinking water hose to the tank flush fitting (located just above the city water connection). With the black tank valve still open, turn on the hose and flush for a couple of minutes. Shut off the hose and let the tank drain.

Close the black tank valve.

Open the grey tank valve. Close when it's empty.

It's good to put a gallon or so of water in the black tank before you use it again, so things aren't landing in a dry tank and getting stuck there.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
If I can, let me add a little to Wayne and Sam. Buy a clear plastic elbow to hook between the drain fitting and the hose. This will show you when clear water is flowing from the tank. After I drain and flush with the water hookup, I close the valve a couple of minutes with water still running then reopen to drain that partial fill (depends on your tank size--mine is 38 gal and two minutes will not even 1/2 fill the tank back up). That floats any paper, etc that might still be clinging to the sides, etc. Finish with the drain open and the flush water running for a few minutes. If you drive a distance before emptying the tank, everything will be liquid and drain/flush clean quickly. If you empty the tank as you leave the park, solids and paper will still be solids and thus will take longer to flush clean. Put your tank deodorizer in toilet, flush down and you are good to store. Like Wayne said, drain gray water last. I've found some people using regular toilet paper. That will for sure stop a macerater type toilet and will sooner or later cause dump valve problems with the drop valve type.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:48 PM   #4

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Orinda , California
Thank You

Dear Wayne & Sam and Howard,
You've been a giant help. We're on day 3 of our epic adventure and your advice will ease our minds.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
LaMarque , Texas
Here is a picture of what your looking for. I don't think you can know for sure if system is clear without one of these it also has a connection which sends water stream up into the doing itself. Instructions are on the side. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1410810302.079374.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	904.3 KB
ID:	221911

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp
Old 09-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Delano , Minnesota
I agree with the clear plastic fitting. Watching the black tank drain ain't the greatest show in town. But you know when it is flushed and draining clean. I was surprised how many rinses it took to get all the paper out. And I agree with keeping the bottom of your black tank wet. The age old idea of pouring 5 lbs of ice chunks into the black tank and then towing your trailer home on the last leg of your trip sure helps scour the sides of the tank clean.

David