Old 02-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We have the 25' FB Safari and for the two of us, the space is fine. Babies and dogs and then small kids and dogs would be cramped with the dinette (seats 4, but 3 is more realistic) plus the small "sofa" (more like a bench) and dogs wherever they go, could be a lot. If you do sleep with the dogs in a tent, it's less likely there'll be more kids though. A bigger unit will give you more sofa, more floor and more diaper and baby food storage.

Of course if your driveway is as steep as a lot of them in Evergreen, length may be restricted. Note that the 25' is just shy of 26'; 27 is really 28' and 28 is 27' 11".

Where we used to live in Evergreen we couldn't have gotten near our house with narrow, winding, steep roads (not to mention a 10 month winter some years—oops, I mentioned it)

Gene.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
A truly family friendly unit is the Safari 30’ bunk house. It has three separated sleeping areas. We have one and have been very happy with it. Unfortunately, you can’t get a new one, but they are out there in the used market. They were built in ’05 and ’06.

Here is a discussion thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f292...lub-29241.html

Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
avoid advice from people who fail to use capital letters....

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Wow, see what I started? 2Air, PM any details if you can, otherwise I'll wait patiently with the rest as to your FB warning...
my intent wasn't to misdirect your original question or provide some dire warning...

so i'll take this aspect of the discussion into another thread, here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...tml#post515897

again since you've opened up your exploration to all/most models and sizes...

-the bunkhouse really IS a family friendly design

-a 25-28 classic from the last 5 years (especially with hickory) could make a great family friendly unit...

ditch the dinette or sofa and put in a nicer little kid sleeping zone...

and any of these are gonna seem HUGE compared to the bambi...

all the best for you and especially the mother of your soon-to-be-new-camper arrival!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
We have the 25' FB Safari and for the two of us, the space is fine. Babies and dogs and then small kids and dogs would be cramped with the dinette (seats 4, but 3 is more realistic) plus the small "sofa" (more like a bench) and dogs wherever they go, could be a lot. If you do sleep with the dogs in a tent, it's less likely there'll be more kids though. A bigger unit will give you more sofa, more floor and more diaper and baby food storage.

Of course if your driveway is as steep as a lot of them in Evergreen, length may be restricted. Note that the 25' is just shy of 26'; 27 is really 28' and 28 is 27' 11".

Where we used to live in Evergreen we couldn't have gotten near our house with narrow, winding, steep roads (not to mention a 10 month winter some years—oops, I mentioned it)

----

Gene, isn't camping all about being closer with your family? In all seriousness, the dinette has a bigger table that the Bambi does (due to the widebody) but is probably not much deeper than the Bambi. That being said, we have fit four 'friendly' adults at the dinette plus one in a folding chair at the end with no real problems. Also, the sofa 'bench' as you call is as wide as the queen bed, maybe a little less if you add in the depth taken away from a wall mounted TV, but I wouldn't call it small. It's certainly is better than nothing. Dogs may or may not sleep in the trailer. They both fit on the floor of the Bambi, but if we get into a big truck, they'll have lots of room to sleep there. Besides, what good is it having a queen bed if you don't have two on it with you?

Storage is not a big issue. We will probably double or more the storage space. The International models have bigger overhead cabinets from what I can tell, and that loss would be a bummer.

Of course, these are my observations from less than 10 minutes in one on the dealers lot, and certainly not real camping and road time.

I remembered reading somewhere that you were an Evergreen resident (Marshdale, right?). We are up behind Evergreen Mountain. Yes, I was aware the the 25' was really 25'11". Sneaky Airstream. Our driveway had a big scrapper at the bottom that I can negotiate with the Bambi, but a bigger trailer might require some driveway work, which mean repaving. (sigh) The driveway also double backs on itself. I had a problem backing the Bambi up with a 2500 Ram Quad Cab short bed (same TV as I am looking at), so not sure how much harder making the same turn would be with a 25, and you can clearly see how a 28 or 30 would be nearly impossible if I intended to keep the trailer stored in my driveway.

Anyone have them rear overhang measurement handy?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:38 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
St. Pete Beach , Florida
We have 2 kids (11 & 13) and have a 25 FB Intn'l that works really well for us. We didn't want to ge bigger than the 25' because we didn't want to limit some of the places we like to visit. For our family, the size and layout of the 25 FB is perfect. We feel like when it's the 4 of us, we have plenty of space, yet are cozy too. The 25' offers us more privacy than the 23' and we like that the dinette is in the rear. Often we back into a space that has a great view and nothing beats making the morning coffee and surveying the scene. While I think the 27' is also a great option, it was also more money than we wanted to spend.

We are weekend, short trip , week-long campers. Not full timing. Everything we put on board is well thought out and organized.

If our kids bring friends, we put up a tent for them and everyone is happier. They want to chat well into the night and we want to get some sleep. I think even if we had the 27', I would want the kids w/friends combo outside in tents. We don't load up the camper with toys and junk. My kids bring flashlights, notebooks, a few games, and a laptop. We put the bikes in the truck along with a canoe and off we go.

We spent a lot of time looking at all the models. We tried to imagine our daily routines and how they would work in each layout. Truthfully, we fell in love with about 4 different models and it wasn't until we really thought through some of our needs that we determined what would work for us. It a time consuming process that's necessary if you are to end up in the right model for you and your family. Of course, I'd still like to have that adorable 75th anniversary Bambi too.....
Old 02-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
We have a 25' FB Classic for the two of us and two large Labradors. We've used it for weekend trips and for an 11-day trip, and we love the floor plan. We went with the 25' over the 27' for a few reasons; the galley in the 25' projects into the aisle much less than the 27' (that's in the Classic - it's different in the Safaris, where the 2006-07 25' Safaris/Internationals had sinks that came waaay out into the aisle), and the 25' will have a higher resale value based on past and current used trailer values. With higher fuel prices, we didn't see that changing.

We looked long and hard at a 30' (non-FB) Classic; it was the same money as the 25' Classic and, honestly, was a lot more comfortable in some regards. The "true" couch in the conventional floor plans is much more comfortable than the bench-style seating in the FB plans, and there is quite a bit more open floor space, which is good for dogs and crates. But having had the 25' FB for a while now, we're thrilled with the floor plan. It works for two dogs and one soft-sided crate (for the dog who once took a bite out of the gaucho in our Tradewind), and we love the views we have from the back of the trailer at a lot of camgrounds. It's also important to note we went with the twin beds - way more storage and more aisle/floor space, resulting in a trailer that feels bigger and more open.

Now if we ever get to full-time down the road...we'll go with one of the conventional floor plans, probably a 31' or a 34'.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #22
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I don't have the details but, isn't there a "SS" (sleeps six) 25er' out there?

Sorry I can't offer more...

Bill
Old 02-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bill, I think the SS Safari is for weekend camping more than longer travels. Nice floor plan, small water storage.

Westfalia, your description of your driveway reminds me of many in Evergreen. Good luck, backing up it with a 25' will make you stronger. Or backing down—probably no place to turn around at the top. I was talking to a friend with a steep driveway with a switch back in Chief Hosa area who is thinking of an RV someday; no way he could get just about anything to his garage except maybe a 16'.

Gene
Old 02-13-2008, 09:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Thank to everyone for their comments. Since there is a good chance that no trailer bigger than my 19' will easily fit up my driveway, I'm now look at a 27FB, with a nod to more storage space that will eventually be needed to fit all of the kids stuff. The Safari six sleepers look OK, but I can't do thecorner bed again, even if it is bigger than the Bambi. I also looked intensely at the 30' Safari Bunkhouse, but without the aluminum shell interior and the poor, poor windows, not to mention the small tanks, it knocks it out of contention to the kind of dry camping that I like to do. I also don't have one that is within driving distance to look at, and this is a purchase I can't make sight unseen.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:32 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The 27' FB is a nice floor plan and the only things we didn't like about it was having to tow 2 more feet and more pounds. I thought the extra weight, especially payload considerations, would be too much for our pickup. I found the A/S dealer in Lakewood to be adequate, the one in Colorado Springs to be avoided. Making it clear to the Lakewood dealer I was ready to walk out and give him a few minutes to call the boss at home got me few more thousand off. Good luck.

Gene
Old 03-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Well, now we've done it. We have a deposit down on a 2007 27'FB Signature Series without the front wrap arounds. This actually works out better for us as it gives us wardrobe/closets and gives a little more insulation in the bedroom.

We were able to make a pretty good deal on it. Of course, any saving goes right back into a larger tow vehicle. We were looking at a used 30' Bunkhouse. Cool trailer, but perhaps just a little too large for us, and it carries over some inherent flaws that we don't love in our 19" Bambi, like the corner bath and exposed dump valves that are highly susceptible to freezing and damage.

Anyway, my thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread in an effort to guide me in the right direction. We hope to road trip to pickup the new trailer in April.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:54 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Chris,

Where did you buy it? And, with your driveway, it looks like you'll be keeping it at a good friend's house or storing it somewhere.

The snow is finally melting here and we hope to get out of town with ours in about 3 weeks.

Anyway, congratulations! That 27' is a nice unit and that will keep your family happy until the kids are teenagers and don't want to be seen with you.

Gene
Old 03-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Mill Valley , California
Congratulations Westfalia!

You are going to love the layout. When do you pick her up?.....just in time for spring time!

Dennis