Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
We have a 25' FB Classic for the two of us and two large Labradors. We've used it for weekend trips and for an 11-day trip, and we love the floor plan. We went with the 25' over the 27' for a few reasons; the galley in the 25' projects into the aisle much less than the 27' (that's in the Classic - it's different in the Safaris, where the 2006-07 25' Safaris/Internationals had sinks that came waaay out into the aisle), and the 25' will have a higher resale value based on past and current used trailer values. With higher fuel prices, we didn't see that changing.

We looked long and hard at a 30' (non-FB) Classic; it was the same money as the 25' Classic and, honestly, was a lot more comfortable in some regards. The "true" couch in the conventional floor plans is much more comfortable than the bench-style seating in the FB plans, and there is quite a bit more open floor space, which is good for dogs and crates. But having had the 25' FB for a while now, we're thrilled with the floor plan. It works for two dogs and one soft-sided crate (for the dog who once took a bite out of the gaucho in our Tradewind), and we love the views we have from the back of the trailer at a lot of camgrounds. It's also important to note we went with the twin beds - way more storage and more aisle/floor space, resulting in a trailer that feels bigger and more open.

Now if we ever get to full-time down the road...we'll go with one of the conventional floor plans, probably a 31' or a 34'.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #22
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I don't have the details but, isn't there a "SS" (sleeps six) 25er' out there?

Sorry I can't offer more...

Bill
Old 02-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bill, I think the SS Safari is for weekend camping more than longer travels. Nice floor plan, small water storage.

Westfalia, your description of your driveway reminds me of many in Evergreen. Good luck, backing up it with a 25' will make you stronger. Or backing down—probably no place to turn around at the top. I was talking to a friend with a steep driveway with a switch back in Chief Hosa area who is thinking of an RV someday; no way he could get just about anything to his garage except maybe a 16'.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Thank to everyone for their comments. Since there is a good chance that no trailer bigger than my 19' will easily fit up my driveway, I'm now look at a 27FB, with a nod to more storage space that will eventually be needed to fit all of the kids stuff. The Safari six sleepers look OK, but I can't do thecorner bed again, even if it is bigger than the Bambi. I also looked intensely at the 30' Safari Bunkhouse, but without the aluminum shell interior and the poor, poor windows, not to mention the small tanks, it knocks it out of contention to the kind of dry camping that I like to do. I also don't have one that is within driving distance to look at, and this is a purchase I can't make sight unseen.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:32 AM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The 27' FB is a nice floor plan and the only things we didn't like about it was having to tow 2 more feet and more pounds. I thought the extra weight, especially payload considerations, would be too much for our pickup. I found the A/S dealer in Lakewood to be adequate, the one in Colorado Springs to be avoided. Making it clear to the Lakewood dealer I was ready to walk out and give him a few minutes to call the boss at home got me few more thousand off. Good luck.

Gene
Old 03-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Well, now we've done it. We have a deposit down on a 2007 27'FB Signature Series without the front wrap arounds. This actually works out better for us as it gives us wardrobe/closets and gives a little more insulation in the bedroom.

We were able to make a pretty good deal on it. Of course, any saving goes right back into a larger tow vehicle. We were looking at a used 30' Bunkhouse. Cool trailer, but perhaps just a little too large for us, and it carries over some inherent flaws that we don't love in our 19" Bambi, like the corner bath and exposed dump valves that are highly susceptible to freezing and damage.

Anyway, my thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread in an effort to guide me in the right direction. We hope to road trip to pickup the new trailer in April.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Chris,

Where did you buy it? And, with your driveway, it looks like you'll be keeping it at a good friend's house or storing it somewhere.

The snow is finally melting here and we hope to get out of town with ours in about 3 weeks.

Anyway, congratulations! That 27' is a nice unit and that will keep your family happy until the kids are teenagers and don't want to be seen with you.

Gene
Old 03-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Congratulations Westfalia!

You are going to love the layout. When do you pick her up?.....just in time for spring time!

Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Gene, we'll just have to see about the driveway. After some careful contemplation I think I can get it up with careful placement and I might just have to bump the drive out in a few places to make it work.

Snow NOT melting here at any great speed and actually have a foot + more than we did a couple of days ago. Spent part of the morning pushing back the drifts and piles that have been encroaching the driveway over the winter. Fortunately, most of the ice is gone now, so I can get my Bambi out for some quick service before it sells. If the weather gets nice, maybe one last camp in her before we have to let her go.

We are buying from Airstream of Arkansas and looking at heading down there in early to mid April. Of course, I'm a bit backwards in this deal still since I still don't have a tow vehicle. Figured no sense in a TV if no trailer was found. We are looking forward to the trip and the new trailer.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
...Of course, I'm a bit backwards in this deal still since I still don't have a tow vehicle. Figured no sense in a TV if no trailer was found. We are looking forward to the trip and the new trailer.
Hi Chris:

Contratulations on your new 25' FB Airstream. She sounds like a beauty! Now, just upgrade to the Touamax and you'll be good to go.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:28 PM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Chris,

Good luck with the driveway. Last week we just got out of Evergreen as 11" was falling. Spring comes a month sooner on the western slope. Unfortunately you'll still have to have warranty work done in Colorado; probably a good idea to stay in Arkansas for a while checking everything over and over.

Gene
Old 03-09-2008, 08:51 PM   #32
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Well, now we've done it. We have a deposit down on a 2007 27'FB Signature Series without the front wrap arounds...
hot dog! the sig series is very stylish!

i think cosmotini got a similar (with wraps) unit from the same location...

now to get that dodge deal cooking!

have a fun trip!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Unfortunately you'll still have to have warranty work done in Colorado; probably a good idea to stay in Arkansas for a while checking everything over and over.
Not sure how much time on the ground I can spend in Arkansas, after all I have a three week old little girl AND a 20 month old girl that suck up all of my available time. However, Gene and I have already discussed an 'overnight' stay on-site to use and test all systems. After almost four years in our Bambi, I'm pretty aware as to what will need repair, and hopefully ASoA can flip the unit pretty quickly. I will use Windish for warranty, but reluctantly. Maybe I'll hit up Lewster if he's coming thru this way this summer.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Cool - be sure to post some pictures when you pick up your new baby (the A/S that is...).

We've got 2 smaller kids (6 and 8) and one lab mix dog, with another dog soon on the way. We've got a 25' SS Int CCD and love it.

But... I think I'd love a 28' that much more (or the 27'FB). Just that wee bit of extra room would be great, the separate shower and toilet, as well as no corner bed would be wonderful.

You've made a great decision - very nice trailer.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:10 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hot dog! the sig series is very stylish!

i think cosmotini got a similar (with wraps) unit from the same location...

now to get that dodge deal cooking!

have a fun trip!

cheers
2air'
Yeah it's a sexy unit and we are doing our happy dance! We were at the Denver RV show on Friday to look at the SOB's (such an appropriate acronym!!!) and the like. There are some CRAZY fifth wheel units on the market. They feel more like a stay at a Hilton than an RV. Anyway, our local AS dealer had their wares on display, including a 23FB (NICE unit!!!) and a 08 27FB Int'l Sig. Except for the front wrap windows, it was the EXACT mirror of what we were looking at, including the fabric. This is what made the wife really get excited.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfrodge
Cool - be sure to post some pictures when you pick up your new baby (the A/S that is...).

We've got 2 smaller kids (6 and 8) and one lab mix dog, with another dog soon on the way. We've got a 25' SS Int CCD and love it.

But... I think I'd love a 28' that much more (or the 27'FB). Just that wee bit of extra room would be great, the separate shower and toilet, as well as no corner bed would be wonderful.

You've made a great decision - very nice trailer.
I think that we would have been perfectly happy with a 25FB. Th e SS model is nice, but I just couldn't do that corner bed again, even if it was bigger. But honestly, the decision factor was the fantastic price I got on the '07 27FB versus a '08 FB model.

In any case, this will be the trailer we will be in for some time to come, and we are ecstatic about it!