Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
2018 Globetrotter Electric Stabilizer Deployment Instructions?

We finally took possession of our 2018 Globetrotter this past Saturday. The trailer has power stabilizers front and back. Each end pair of stabilizers is controlled by one switch - the back pair of stabilizers is wired to one switch and the front pair to the other switch.

When deploying the stabilizers on uneven ground, what is the process? (There are no instructions in the 'manual'.) Are you expected to place a block under the side which is lower than the other, stop once the first stabilizer touches down and then hand crank the other, or let the short side stabilizer motor grind on until the longer side stabilizer touches down?

I would have thought there would be four switches, but this seems to be how it is.

Thanks... Duncan
ddrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:10 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Atanta , Georgia
Hi,

those electric stabilizers should be self leveling.

I would assume they also a part from LCI / Lippert Products:

https://www.lci1.com/power-stabilizer-jacks
sunny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny07 View Post
Hi,

those electric stabilizers should be self leveling.

I would assume they also a part from LCI / Lippert Products:

https://www.lci1.com/power-stabilizer-jacks
Thanks - I'll go and look for the manufacturer's name on the stabilizers this weekend. The ones that you referenced look different than the ones that I have, as they have one motor, and I have two motors - one on each side.

Ciao... Duncan
Old 01-16-2018, 11:27 PM   #4
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Power Stabilizing Jacks

The Globetrotter trailer is equipped with power stabilizing jacks
These jacks are controlled by a switch located in the locked utility compartment on the side of the trailer

NOTE
Power stabilizing jacks automatically adjust to the terrain and should only be lowered until they make contact with the ground.

CAUTION
Stabilizing jacks are designed to stabilize the trailer only. Misuse of the power jacks to level or lift the trailer will result in damage to the jacks and potentially the trailer.
Page 6-6 of the 2018 Globetrotter Owner's Manual (posted on line)
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:55 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Bolivar , OH
I have noticed this issue too. There really should be 4 switches so each can adjust to terrain. I have placed wood blocking under one of the stabilizers to adjust for a low spot on my lot. Alternatively, using a wrench to manually adjust left to right will be needed.

These stabilizers have simple motors and don't appear to synchronize and I suspect will need some manual adjustment from time to time as they will loose synchronization.
Samstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Schoharie , Unknown
While I am not familiar with the AS electric stabilizing system, the Atwood system has a remote so you could watch your jacks deploy as well as inside controls. Maybe AS has a remore available. You could always call the dealer or AS directly for assistance... good luck!!
EZTOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Ohio
I have a GT on order. I a curious about the operation also
Kodiak2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak2006 View Post
I have a GT on order. I a curious about the operation also
Me too (curious about the operation but I don't have a GT on order)!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Y’all...read post number 4 from jcl. The stabilizers adjust to the terrain. Never had a problem with that on my 2017 Classic with the same stabilizers.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
Y’all...read post number 4 from jcl. The stabilizers adjust to the terrain. Never had a problem with that on my 2017 Classic with the same stabilizers.
So you just let the first stabilizer to touch down grind away while you wait for the second one to touch down? (To repeat, each stabilizer has its own motor.)

Thanks... Duncan
Old 01-17-2018, 07:59 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrg View Post
So you just let the first stabilizer to touch down grind away while you wait for the second one to touch down? (To repeat, each stabilizer has its own motor.)

Thanks... Duncan

I have never experienced any grinding on an uneven surface. In all honesty, I have never had a surface more than a couple of inches different from side to side but it always seems to work out. I do put pads under each one just to give a bigger footprint. The campsite I am in now has significant front to rear incline so I put 4 blocks under the rear and only 1 in the front. Not sure what the total extension is on the stabilizers.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Page 6-6 of the 2018 Globetrotter Owner's Manual (posted on line)
The instructions that you posted suggest that in the case of uneven ground, once one stabilizer of either the front or back pair touches down, then power should be interrupted, implying that you manually crank down the other stabilizer.
"Power stabilizing jacks automatically adjust to the terrain and should only be lowered until they make contact with the ground."

Thanks,
Duncan
Old 01-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
I have never experienced any grinding on an uneven surface. In all honesty, I have never had a surface more than a couple of inches different from side to side but it always seems to work out. I do put pads under each one just to give a bigger footprint. The campsite I am in now has significant front to rear incline so I put 4 blocks under the rear and only 1 in the front. Not sure what the total extension is on the stabilizers.
Thanks mojoe7009!

I don't have problems with front to back leveling. My question is about side to side leveling.

For example, if the curbside touchdown area is 2" below the streetside touchdown area, then the streetside stabilizer will touchdown before the curbside stabilizer.

As there is only one switch controlling both stabilizer motors (in parallel), you can either continue to apply power causing the streetside stabilizer to grind away waiting for the curbside stabilizer to touch down, or manually crank down the curbside stabilizer once the streetside stabilizer has touched down. Alternately, I guess I could put a block under the curbside stabilizer.

Of course, if there was a switch for each stabilizer, I wouldn't be writing this :-)

Thanks... Duncan
Old 01-17-2018, 08:10 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Again, using the one switch I have never experienced any grinding on one side or the other in an I level situation. Not sure the mechanics of it all, but I have never manually lowered my stabilizers with over 120 nights in the trailer last year.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:44 PM   #15
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrg View Post
The instructions that you posted suggest that in the case of uneven ground, once one stabilizer of either the front or back pair touches down, then power should be interrupted, implying that you manually crank down the other stabilizer.
"Power stabilizing jacks automatically adjust to the terrain and should only be lowered until they make contact with the ground."

Thanks,
Duncan
I read the manual when I was looking at the Globetrotter, but haven't used these specific stabilizers. I am not even sure which brand they are. But the instructions in the manual seem very clear to me. I wouldn't expect to have to use blocks to shim one side. I wouldn't expect any grinding. I would expect automatic adjustment to the terrain, which means that the stabilizers will know when the first one has made contact, and direct torque or motion to the other side. That could be as simple as sensing load. It says to operate them until the stabilizers (plural) make contact, not until the first one makes contact.

If you hear grinding noises then perhaps the stabilizers are faulty. If you are using the stabilizers to try and lift the trailer, then that isn't what they are designed for.

If you see the name Lippert on your stabilizers, then this info found on line may help. Even if they aren't this brand, I would look for this type of balancing mechanism when watching them work:

Quote:
The Lippert system makes it impossible to rack the frame.
The "C" channel cross piece rides inside a slightly larger "C" channel. When the first leg hits the ground, it stops lowering and the motor continues running while the inner channel , motor and screw drive slide inside the larger channel, and the opposing leg lowers until it hits the ground. Both legs then raise together maintaining equal pressure between them.
Jeff
Old 01-19-2018, 06:50 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Ohio

Quote:

From what I can tell, the GT stabilizers are not the same hardware used on the classic or the Tommy Bahama. The dealer did a demo on both. The GT jacks deploy faster than the earlier jacks. I am not sure if that is due to the pitch on the lead screw -or the motor speed. From everything I can see, there is no “clutch”in the system to allow the LH and RH jacks to self adjust to terrain. It is done visually, or by ear listening for the motor to load up when it starts contacting the ground. As stated in other posts, it appears the only way to accommodate a terrain diff between two sides of the paired jacks, is by shimming, or manually ext ending the side that is a greater distance from the trailer frame.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:09 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I don’t know the difference but jcl, in post #4, posted the Instructions for the GT stabilizers from page 6-6 of the GT owners manual. Says they “automatically adjust to the terrain”. Seems pretty clear even if they aren’t the same as the Classic.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:29 PM   #18
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
From what I can tell, the GT stabilizers are not the same hardware used on the classic or the Tommy Bahama. The dealer did a demo on both. The GT jacks deploy faster than the earlier jacks. I am not sure if that is due to the pitch on the lead screw -or the motor speed. From everything I can see, there is no “clutch”in the system to allow the LH and RH jacks to self adjust to terrain. It is done visually, or by ear listening for the motor to load up when it starts contacting the ground. As stated in other posts, it appears the only way to accommodate a terrain diff between two sides of the paired jacks, is by shimming, or manually ext ending the side that is a greater distance from the trailer frame.
It doesn't need to be a clutch, it could be a current sensor to control the motors electronically, or it could be a load balancing mechanism like a rear differential (in this case, a sliding channel)

What we need is for someone to test the GT stabilizers, and observe the mechanism when the stabilizers are deployed on uneven ground. Does the channel holding the lead screw shift side to side, or is there a sensor, or can you raise one side of the trailer while the other side hasn't reached the ground yet (which would suggest a problem in the design, installation, or instructions).
Old 01-19-2018, 03:22 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Columbus , Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
It doesn't need to be a clutch, it could be a current sensor to control the motors electronically, or it could be a load balancing mechanism like a rear differential (in this case, a sliding channel)

What we need is for someone to test the GT stabilizers, and observe the mechanism when the stabilizers are deployed on uneven ground. Does the channel holding the lead screw shift side to side, or is there a sensor, or can you raise one side of the trailer while the other side hasn't reached the ground yet (which would suggest a problem in the design, installation, or instructions).

There is only one motor - there is no current sensing detector in the circuit. It is simply operator control by visual operation. Wishing for a different solution does not change the reality of the operation on the existing trailer.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:53 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
There is only one motor - there is no current sensing detector in the circuit. It is simply operator control by visual operation. Wishing for a different solution does not change the reality of the operation on the existing trailer.

Then the instructions in the GT manual are clearly in error.