Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft View Post
Can it do it safely no.
Just a glutton for punishment? It'll do it safely yes, more safely than most pick up trucks.

If it's not safe, it doesn't leave the CanAm lot.

Blog: 300 Miles or 3:00
zlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
This cultlike following of CanAm is really weird! Sure must be good for his business with all this free personal opinions of his work. free advertising.!! jim
!!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
This cultlike following of CanAm is really weird! Sure must be good for his business with all this free personal opinions of his work. free advertising.!! jim
!!
Could it be...he and his staff know what they're doing?!?

Old 02-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #24

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I saw his work first hand and all I can say is....he knows what he's doing! When I decide to reinforce my hitch (to move up to a 23') I will be going to Canada.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5
I saw his work first hand and all I can say is....he knows what he's doing! When I decide to reinforce my hitch (to move up to a 23') I will be going to Canada.
If you want to "get rid" of your Toureg at a loss...

Old 02-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #26

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I need it for the 23'.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5
I need it for the 23'.
Drat! Foiled again!!!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Sorry Starcraft, you're way off beam. I successfully pull my 28' International Serenity with a Toyota Sienna 3.5 V6. It's been professionally set up with a reinforced and improved hitch receiver, improved transmission cooling and a Prodigy brake controller. I use full weight distribution and sway control and achieve around 12 mpg (US) when towing at around 60-65 mph. I'm still on the original tires although will seek advice (from the professional) when I come to replace them, on both TV and trailer. I may yet move to a Hensley or PPP but it's not needed at the moment as the ride is sure and stable in all weathers. The Sienna is a very safe and stable towing platform; it has a long wheelbase, wide suspension track, low center of gravity, short rear overhang and is aerodynamically efficient. Unhitched, the Sienna will beat most trucks stopping, starting and going through a slalom; hanging a trailer on the back does not magically transform it from a safe vehicle to an unsafe one. The ONLY disadvantage it has compared to most trucks is HP and torque.

But don't take my word for it, get yourself over to Can-Am RV (free advertising!) and try one of their setups for yourself; you may not be converted but you will be surprised.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
Back to the original question...
Best TV for a 16' Bambi International?
My vote hands down, in a money grows on trees & gas/exhaust doesn't ruin the ozone kinda magical world...
VW Touareg V10 TDI
-or-
Audi Q7 V8
*both w/ tow package, air suspension, back-up cam & added break controller.

By buying one of these you won't need to trek to Canadialand for modifications & with all the $ you save on Can-Am Kool-Aid you can afford a few extra tanks of premium gas or a pricey routine service appointment.
Aspirations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Sorry Asp, I get carried away. Folks on here LOVE their Touaregs....

Old 02-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
The Touareg is certainly my dream TV! Even though I'd miss my 42mpg... And it's hard to get much cuter than a Golf TDI pulling a 16'... AS had that pair featured on their European website for a while!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Sonoma/Napa Wine Country , Northern California
Toad- I dig your Sienna feat! I just like to razz you & zlee when you pull out the Can-Am Kool-Aid.

Mind you I may be headed there soon, when these fuel prices reduce me to towing with a Fiat 500... Nah!!!

Zlee- I've seen that Euro AS Golf TDi pair in person, it's fantastic! If only I could find some German streamers that want to do a foreign exchange program... Would love to try a Q7 V12 TDi with a new International 684 (~1/4 million $ rig + diesel@ 1.5€/litre ...but a girl can dream, right!?)
Aspirations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirations
Toad- I dig your Sienna feat! I just like to razz you & zlee when you pull out the Can-Am Kool-Aid.
Is THAT what you think you're doing?!

If I could have gotten the 16', I might have traded in the Jetta for a Golf! Unfortunately the floor plan couldn't work for us. It's the cutest of all rigs, I think, I really envy Mojave their rig!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I have to see the Sienna pulling big trailer!

How do they fashion up safe receiver? Bolt it to every trailing arm of car. I would think new jeep wrangler 4dr would be much finer tow vehicle than Sienna. What do I know in UK I have seen mini coopers pulling 4k pounds go figure. I have towed with 2dr jeeps and heavy boats with no brakes, little scary in panic situation older jeeps brakes weak. Maybe you should do video with Sienna unloaded then put trailer on for all us folks, how much drop do you get.

And my vote is also going to be VW Toraeg TDI v10 diesel go get you one!

Bmw has diesel offering as well

Audi Q7 v12 TDI with 785 pounds torque get job done.

You better have some money saved up for one. Would be funny to try sell one used park out on street not tell them the price lol. 2012 Audi q7 low miles yadda yadda best offer!
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 19' Safari SE
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by starcraft
How do they fashion up safe receiver? Bolt it to every trailing arm of car. I would think new jeep wrangler 4dr would be much finer tow vehicle than Sienna. What do I know in UK I have seen mini coopers pulling 4k pounds go figure. I have towed with 2dr jeeps and heavy boats with no brakes, little scary in panic situation older jeeps brakes weak. Maybe you should do video with Sienna unloaded then put trailer on for all us folks, how much drop do you get.
Pics of my hitch (welded to the frame) on my blog. My VW service writer and mechanics were impressed that there's very little drop on the Jetta while towing--and no sag at the hitch at all. (Good thing, its already low enough, or i'd be constantly hitting things in the road, like, say, cats-eyes!) CanAm has vids of a Mini pulling an AS on their website. New Minis can be very strong.

My English partner thinks we're weird for getting bent out of shape about towing with cars!

Old 02-29-2012, 07:04 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
How do they fashion up safe receiver?
This how it's done.....

The Beefed Up Hitch - Airstream Forums

Stiffer, more securing points and long, long chunks of steel to transfer the weight forward. It works and it works well.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirations View Post

Mind you I may be headed there soon, when these fuel prices reduce me to towing with a Fiat 500... Nah!!!

Zlee- I've seen that Euro AS Golf TDi pair in person, it's fantastic! If only I could find some German streamers that want to do a foreign exchange program... Would love to try a Q7 V12 TDi with a new International 684 (~1/4 million $ rig + diesel@ 1.5€/litre ...but a girl can dream, right!?)
Big tut. I'd love a Fiat 500 but even I might accept that it's probably not the ideal tow vehicle.

Old 03-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
I have towed with 2dr jeeps and heavy boats with no brakes, little scary in panic situation older jeeps brakes weak. ...
Perhaps it was the setup, but towing with the short wheelbase 2-door Jeep Wrangler in either the TJ Rubicon or JK "X" models for us could be described as just plain SCARY and *** dangerous *** with the tail often wagging the dog !!! I am sure that someone will boast that they could safely tow with the Wrangler, but over 10 years of trying, we could not get the job done... the TV was simply too light with such a short wheelbase.

Weight distribution is only one factor in the safety equation; TT mass vs TV mass is also a major consideration. Yes, I have towed across the country with a 28' keel heavy sailboat as well... but NOT with the Wrangler 2-door.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
If a jeep is scary in 2dr

How the heck do UKers pull with renaults,minis and like. Wrangler is not light weight first off check numbers. I ran rancho 9000's shocks and stiff BFG Ko tires, shocks are adj to stiff setting.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Wrangler is light weight in the sense that it's not a heavy duty vehicle. In pickupspeak, it's a "150" class, not a "250" or "350". Yes, heavy duty in the offroad sense, where it excels, but not in the 'staying power' sense - torque, really. Tried towing a 16' Bambi with a mostly stock 4-door Wrangler (2011 Rubicon, 3.8L V6, 6-speed), even regeared the axles from 4.10 to 4.88, even with a weight-distributing hitch, but the motor just didn't have the ooomph. Believe me, I tried everything I could to make that Wrangler be a good tow vehicle for my 16'... but eventually gave in and traded it. And I really miss it! Now if they ever came out with that diesel Wrangler-based pickup (or even 4-door) that was seen as a concept in '05 or so, I'd sell the current tow vehicle in a second. Had a 2-door Wrangler before the 4-door, and it was squirrely enough on highway without towing that I definitely wouldn't want to try towing the 16' with it. The 4-door handled fine, but just didn't have the muscle.
amm3824 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16' international