Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Rivet 2008 model year quality....

Airstream has started production of the 2008 model year, so that means it's again time to get a new thread for our 2008 Streamers in place. If anyone picks up a 2008, please post any of the good, bad or areas that need improvement that you may find. This includes any and all titled 2008 Airstreams (Basecamps, Moho (if there are any) and of course, Trailers) manufactured or assembled by Airstream Inc, in Jackson Center, Ohio.

It is important that you provide the build month and year. You can typically find that info on the streetside front of your coach on a little metal plate that is riveted to the outside shell. On that plate you will also find your GVWR and serial number. All we need off that plate is the month/year of manufacture.

Remember, this thread is ONLY for units that are titled as a 2008.

If you have a 2004 comment to share, please post it here:

Help track the quality of the '04s!

If you have a 2005 comment to share, please post it here:

2005 model year quality tracking.....

If you have a 2006 comment to share, please post here:

2006 model year quality.....

If you have a 2007 comment to share, please post it here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ity-21553.html

Hopefully we can continue track the quality improvements, identify trends and continue to share the information.

Thanks in advance for your participation.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
ST,

I have received 2 New 2008 models...1 yesterday and 1 today...25' FB Signature Series International and a 27' FB Classic...both look really nice and the quality seems to be very good...the 27' FB Classic has the option of putting a Microwave in the pull out pantry...very nice...done in the late 07 models...

2008's are in!!!

Gene

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:26 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks Gene, I've edited the post to reflect it!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
I think we are getting a 2008

SilverTwinkie:

I tried to start a new thread for "2008 Safari" but think it went into never never land. Was in the middle of haggling over custom work for our 27 FB SE and lo and behold my dealership guys said he was told I would probably wind up with an 08 and a $1000 higher cost.

Only difference he noted is a change in the flooring (I was not a fan of the white fake wood) and midnight sun countertop color is slightly different shade of formica.

Here is new floor: flooring.pdf

I am trying to wiggle out of the pure profit margin model year charge (It is April 2007 for the love of,,,,,,,) after agreeing to numerous upcharges for custom changes. I will let everyone know how it goes

Also, I very much enjoyed your PM response to me a few weeks ago and had typed an equally purging rant response to you but lost my internet connection at the very end and it was gone for ever (you would have loved it) - talk about rot resistant flooring, galvanized framing and clinging to a strong brand name and coffee table book marketing versus responding to the end user's quest for quality - whew, maybe it is best that i lost the reponse to the world wide ether - I even used Wally's name in vain a few times.....
Valhalla2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
Awning Custom Color

In case anyone is interested - here is the awning fabric we opted for on our new Safari - cost an additional $250 to swap out from stock for curbside, street side and rear awnings - not bad in my opinion

Sunbrella Awning Ombre Pattern.pdf
Old 04-12-2007, 04:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla2Go
I tried to start a new thread for "2008 Safari" but think it went into never never land.
It's still there -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ari-31603.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Certain possible issues with the exterior finishes have come to light and I would suggest that you read this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ues-31743.html
Old 05-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
ya know.....skylights are standard....NOW.....and they cost 250 if you don't have one? But wait.....you pay more money now because its standard...but they want even more money if its not there? A....HUMM.....I know what they are gonna say. WE NOW HAVE TO MAKE ALTERATIONS...IT COSTS? someone..anyone...stop ME from going to Jackson center. I might say something I will regret.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
Vancouver , Washington
19' CCD Ocean Breeze

We picked up our 2008 19' International on Monday. It is an April 08 build. So far, I've noticed 1 piece of the iron-on edge trim that is peeling at the end 1" or so (will repair with hot iron), and another piece that was hidden (on bottom of trim above a drawer) fell off, so since I couldn't see it anyway, I'm going to keep it as a spare piece for repair (the Ocean Breeze edge trim has an "end grain" pattern, I don't know if I could buy more except through dealer). 2 interior rivets that are not seated by about 1mm (minor compared to some that have posted). The gray caulking around the windows in the interior looks like it was applied by a 3 year old having a seisure, not much that can be done about that, and you don't notice it until you notice it, then you really notice it. The new faucet in the Signature Series is really sweet. The new bathroom door latch/knob that started mid-year 2007 is nice also. There is now a switch installed for the refrigerator fan (I recall a thread explaining how to install one, apparently the factory was listening). I has rained about 1" in the past 2 days, no leaks that I could find at all (though you don't find the worst once so quickly, right?). We got the bunk bed option, it is a little sloppy where it meets the interior skin (where you see it when in the bed below), but I'll buy some adhesive backed plastic trim to cover that joint. For some reason, the light in the head, which has a switch, is powered by the same switch that turns on the vanity lights - so if you want light in the bath, you have to have the vanity lights on, which shine on the bed area. Poor planning if you have some reading to catch up on when someone's trying to sleep. I guess that's what headlamps (and tap-lights) are for. Drawers and doors all work and look great. Really, overall, everthing is much better than I allowed myself to expect, and after 4 days (one night in the driveway), we are exstatic about our new TT. Jon
jonyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyama
(the Ocean Breeze edge trim has an "end grain" pattern, I don't know if I could buy more except through dealer).Jon
Jon,

Contact the service department at the Airstream factory. Chris Burch was one of the people I spoke with there. They can most likely get you some more trim.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
2008 27' FB International CCD Signature Series. We took posession on 6/6/07.
Ordered from Gene Morris at Airstream of Arkansas.
Fit and finish seem to be much improved over our 2004 28' International CCD.
No external corrosion that I can see.
The sliding doors on the roof lockers now have u-shaped spring clips hidden in the corners of the tracks to keep them from opening when traveling. I've seen similar clips that hold a screen panel on a storm door.
Either the factory or Airstream of Arkansas does a better job with cleanup than with our previous trailer. I was expecting to find a lot of sawdust and aluminum filings after towing it home and was pleasantly surprised to find very little.
We haven't found any foriegn objects beneath the floor vinyl.
No leaks at the shower (yet). The only water on the floor was from opening the door and water dripping off.
So far, everything in general is improved. Even the components like the Zip-Dee awnings and the BAL stabilizers seem to work smoother than our previous one ever did. The water pump is even quieter.
Our maiden voyage was to the Moraine View Rally this past weekend and never had a glitch.
The manuals and documentation have changed considerably from what we had. The manual is no longer a poorly copied POS that is stuck in a 3" 3-ring binder. It's now printed and bound like a soft-cover book. It comes with all of the documentation from the manufacturers of all of the different components and is stored in a nice Kelty brand briefcase shaped bag.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 06-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Denny & Terry's '08 27' CCD and soldiermedic's '56 Caravanner were my primo new attractions at the Moraine View rally this last weekend! (pictures later tonight) Denny, that's a great Airstream. Thanks for the quality report!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anyone with a titled 2008 have any observations on their unit?
Old 07-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Having the trailer for a little over a month now, we took it on it's maiden voyage to the Moraine View Rally and had it at Carlyle lake for the last 2 weeks of June.
Issues so far;
Black tank sensor only reports empty.
Floor in bedroom makes a sound - not a squeak - and it's muffled - not very loud - but sounds like stepping on aluminum flashing. It runs the width of the floor at the foot of the bed.
Sony CD/DVD player makes a strange "cat purring" sound ONLY when playing a movie.
Shower door DID leak. No caulk in corners! Why won't the factory deal with this?
I cracked the A/C shroud backing into storage unit. My bad. It's apparently a little higher than our old unit and I must make sure the door is fully retracted.

Overall, we're really happy with it. And as I've mentioned in an earlier post, the fit and finish are improved over our '04 CCD.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
2008 27' International FB
Sonoma , California
We picked up our new 2008 International 27FB a few weeks ago, and have yet to use it anywhere but our driveway; all seemed to be in good nick, with good pretty good fit and finish, and even the shower door appears to be caulked.

Everything except that with the (early) arrival of decent rains here in northern California, yesterday we discovered a leak running down the inside of the trailer. Upon investigation up on the step ladder, I discovered that the factory did not caulk/seal during the installation of the bracket that holds the TV antenna when it is in the stowed position, which is a seemingly amazing oversight - particularly given the rather copious and obvious amounts used everywhere else on the roof.

During a break in the rain, and given the forecast, I dried the area in question and duct taped over it, which has stopped the leak for the moment. Now to talk to the dealer about a more permanent solution.
ramblin rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 PM   #16
Islay - 63 O.

1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
may be not the right place but I would like to know what could be the difference between the international 2007 and 2008?
my 2007 was manufactured in march 2007

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog

https://rvcampreview.com
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:06 PM   #17
Paul and Sandy

2008 23' International CCD
Visalia , California
2008 23ft International CCD

• Picked up our new 2008 from the dealer last Friday and immediately went on a 4 day maiden voyage. Everthing worked perfectly. Toscano RV did an excellant job walking us through. Owned a 21ft Bigfoot Trailer that burnt to the ground in a fire at our home. Love this model. Couldn't be more pleased with the workmanship or the dealership.
Paul Bennet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
Thought I would report back after a summer of enjoyment in and out of our 08' Safari 27FB. Overall we have not had any major problems thus far and of course far fewer maintenance issues than our 68'. Assembly quality and finish seem pretty decent and we have not had some of th eproblems noted in other years.

Prior to our first return trip to the dealership here are the raving observations of an addict in no apparent order:

1. Already observed rust forming on the folding steps and front frame pieces.

2. Just oberserved some water seeping out under the wood trim below the shower door. Checking to see if this is a caulk issue or worse.

3. The flanged head of a few internal rivets is almost off the edge of the aluminum sheet - not much of a fastener long term where they were placed.

4. Man the outside porch light is blinding - great if you need to find your way across a dark 4 mile long camp site but not exactly cozy when enjoying a malt beverage under the awning. JC should consider a switch with 2 levels of output - soft cozy and landing strip brightness.

5. We also are experiencing a low moaning sound when you step on the back floor near the bed. Cannot determine if this is loose sub-flooring or some other issue.

6. Coming from a 68', I have never seen so much caulk used in my entire life - the roof in particular but also gallons of the stuff around plumbing etc under both sinks.

7. Love the piano hinged bathroom door - can be opened 90 degrees to create a temporary screen or 180 to afford easy access in and out. However, if you are not a rail thin runway model good luck with finding a comfortable position to sit on the head without bashing your right knee into the door. If solo, we leave the head door open for extra room.

8. Love the built in water filter in the kitchen

9. The kitchen spray nozzle and hose only drizzles

10. We had a second fantastic fan installed and it acts up from time to time and will not auto close or cycle on.

11. As mentioned in other posts, the curtains are made out of the cheapest cheesecloth meets canvas I have ever seen and the velcro used to bring them together is poorly affixed - however, they do serve their purpose and after a couple juice box spills and mashed bugs, you realize something nicer would be trashed leaving you feeling guilty. Almost like disposable curtains. When they are shot we will get something more aesthetically pleasing.

12. The outside shower fixture on the curb side is a terrific feature but the greay plastic access door panel fell off on the 2nd trip - seems it is hinged by 2 plastic flimsty pins with ballpoint pen type springs and a pin cracked. I plan to replace with metal pins. (would like all doors to be actual metal).

13. The wrap around windows and awnings on all 3 sides are huge additions both in function - keeps trailer much cooler in full sun and form - many people comment on how cool the trailer looks with the awnings - we ordered a custom color on all 3 for only $250.

14. Having the vinyl floor throughout and no carpet in the bedroom has proven itself repeatedly - easy to sweep up and a couple throw rugs are easy to clean and keep the place warm and inviting.

15. Converting the dinnette into a bed is harder than it needs to be. The table drops down nicely but the cushions are not precision sized and the end effect is a sloppy fit with some gaps. A good bed cover placed over them helps smooth things out and keeps kid dirt off cushions.

16. The spice rack finish does not really go with the rest of the streamlined modern interior - looks like it came from the classic line and the wood screw covers have all popped off due to a lusy glue job.

17. A few areas have veneer peeling issues which I have re-glued and hit with a emory board to remove the sharp edges that caused the problem.

19. Bed Bath & Beyond was carrying single and double towel hooks, paper towel bars, etc designed for kitchen cabinet doors with a narrower flange - they are the exact nickel finish of the OEM hardware in the trailer and fit perfectly over any door or cabinet in the trailer. We use the double hook on the curved door below the lobster sink for dish towels and a single hook on the other side with a potholder to hang the round cutting board when accessing the sink. The paer towel bar is great on the overhead doors and out of the way. Check for them.

20. The underbed storage is useful but dont put things you need frequently in this spot - pain to wake up the spouse to change shirts etc. The outside access to this space behind the LP tanks is very confined and trying to store and remove items like folding chairs etc is a bit difficult. We are using this area for storing soft or longer items such as a duffle bag or fishing pole cases etc vs awkward items that will eventually gouge the LP tank cover etc.

21. The white "foam" headguard trim piece above the door has come loose (probably not enough caulk). It also feels like the screen and main doors have to be slammed real hard to close - even when perfectly level etc. Many folks wind up with the doors almost closed when they enter or leave.

22. In an age of computer driven routers and automated tools, I am amazed at how poorly the interior cabinets and wall panels are cut to follow the curved interior walls. In most cases very generous trim strips hide the obviously poor cuts and finish but 2 floor to ceiling panels look like they were eyeballed on an old band saw with areas rubbing tight against the aluminum and others where you could fit a pencil in the gap.

23. Dont let your kids run their hands down the window channels as they will get cut up badly by all the razor sharp exposed screws used to fasten the window frames to the body. Makes it very difficult to clean this area which can accumulate debris, dead bugs etc. Learned the hard way with a damp rag in hand. Neighbor took the time and expense to remove every screw and replace with shorter SS nuts and washers - same head, same fit, but a very nice clean look on the interior.

Time to print this and off to dealership before the warranty runs out.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
2008 25' FB Classic

We took delivery of our special-order 25' FB Classic last Friday. The highlights and lowlights after a visit to Jackson Center to see it on the line, one night spent in it at the dealership, and a wash/wax job at home the next day:
  1. If you order your trailer and can find any way at all to go to Jackson Center during the last couple of days it's on the line, do it - it's well worth the trip. We had the opportunity to see it nearly completed one day and completed and ready for inspection the next, and we were invited to go through it very carefully and note any problem areas we saw. We found several over and above what the inspectors had found, and all but one were addressed by JC before it left. A scuff/small scrape on the rear bumper was still there when we picked it up, but everything else was dealt with, and the staff at JC could not have been more accommodating or helpful. They actually appreciated us being there and giving them the opportunity to address issues there at the factory, and it was well, well worth it for us. The dealer also noted they had very little to do other than clean it when it arrived.
  2. The special-order things for which we asked - no chrome Classic beltline trim, no skylight over the galley, a stainless convection/microwave, and carpet delete - were all completed as we had asked.
  3. Everything worked perfectly the first night. No leaks from the shower, no electrical or plumbing glitches, nothing that concerns us - yet.
  4. The fit and finish inside seem to be very good, but that's after we found a few things at JC that were addressed there. Had some of those things been present at delivery, we would have been less pleased.
  5. The new Samsung 23" HDTV is absolutely awesome.
  6. We're convinced Classics look better with the exposed rivet line rather than the chrome beltline extrusion. They would look even better with an aluminum interior and the hickory cabinets; maybe someday...
  7. HOWEVER...while washing and waxing the trailer, I noticed two problem areas in the clearcoat. One is an area I can only describe as a one foot-square "shadow" under the clearcoat that looks to be a shadow on the aluminum. It's visible only at certain angles and may become less obvious with time. However, the other area is an area of roughness in the clearcoat on the curbside near the side bedroom window where it looks like the clearcoat was either applied over dust or had moisture bubbles in it. I'm not at all pleased with that area, and I doubt there's much that can be done. We didn't see either in JC, and it took washing and waxing it outside to really, really see and pay attention to the skin.
Observations about the FB layout:
  1. The front panos are great, but A/S REALLY needs to line the curtains in the bedroom with light-blocking opaque material. The curtains in our vintage unit from Ambruso have just such a material, and it would make all the difference, even in a Classic with the day/night cellular shades. The curtains are nowhere near the quality of the Ambruso curtains, and the dealership's lot lights kept my husband up all night.
  2. The engineers/designers need to spend a couple of nights in these units so they think about things like where the bath towels and bath mat can be hung. Hello...
  3. The twin bed layout is outstanding, especially in the 25'. It offers so much more storage as well as more floor space, giving the trailer a more open feeling. And we found them very comfortable.
Observations about our dealer: Bill Thomas Camper Sales was outstanding from start to finish, and they were helpful and gracious every step of the way. We really appreciated the delivery procedures, including the "training" session; even though we've had several vintage units, we quickly found there was a bit of a learning curve with a new unit that has marvelous things like a gray tank. We would highly recommend them to anyone.

We're looking forward to our first weekend out in a couple of weeks as well as our first big trip later in November. We think we'll be happy - perhaps not overly thrilled given the clearcoat issues - but happy. It looks to be a good unit. Will it be as great in thirty-seven years as our 1971 Sovereign is today? I doubt it, but I think we'll enjoy it nonetheless.
Old 10-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
2008 Classic Limited 30' Slide-out

no issues at all

top edge of wall dividing bathroom from rear bedroom, could have been scribed a little better... but what the hey- all purebreds have a little character...
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote