Old 03-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Rivet 2008 model year quality....

Airstream has started production of the 2008 model year, so that means it's again time to get a new thread for our 2008 Streamers in place. If anyone picks up a 2008, please post any of the good, bad or areas that need improvement that you may find. This includes any and all titled 2008 Airstreams (Basecamps, Moho (if there are any) and of course, Trailers) manufactured or assembled by Airstream Inc, in Jackson Center, Ohio.

It is important that you provide the build month and year. You can typically find that info on the streetside front of your coach on a little metal plate that is riveted to the outside shell. On that plate you will also find your GVWR and serial number. All we need off that plate is the month/year of manufacture.

Remember, this thread is ONLY for units that are titled as a 2008.

If you have a 2004 comment to share, please post it here:

Help track the quality of the '04s!

If you have a 2005 comment to share, please post it here:

2005 model year quality tracking.....

If you have a 2006 comment to share, please post here:

2006 model year quality.....

If you have a 2007 comment to share, please post it here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ity-21553.html

Hopefully we can continue track the quality improvements, identify trends and continue to share the information.

Thanks in advance for your participation.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
ST,

I have received 2 New 2008 models...1 yesterday and 1 today...25' FB Signature Series International and a 27' FB Classic...both look really nice and the quality seems to be very good...the 27' FB Classic has the option of putting a Microwave in the pull out pantry...very nice...done in the late 07 models...

2008's are in!!!

Gene

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks Gene, I've edited the post to reflect it!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 04-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
I think we are getting a 2008

SilverTwinkie:

I tried to start a new thread for "2008 Safari" but think it went into never never land. Was in the middle of haggling over custom work for our 27 FB SE and lo and behold my dealership guys said he was told I would probably wind up with an 08 and a $1000 higher cost.

Only difference he noted is a change in the flooring (I was not a fan of the white fake wood) and midnight sun countertop color is slightly different shade of formica.

Here is new floor: flooring.pdf

I am trying to wiggle out of the pure profit margin model year charge (It is April 2007 for the love of,,,,,,,) after agreeing to numerous upcharges for custom changes. I will let everyone know how it goes

Also, I very much enjoyed your PM response to me a few weeks ago and had typed an equally purging rant response to you but lost my internet connection at the very end and it was gone for ever (you would have loved it) - talk about rot resistant flooring, galvanized framing and clinging to a strong brand name and coffee table book marketing versus responding to the end user's quest for quality - whew, maybe it is best that i lost the reponse to the world wide ether - I even used Wally's name in vain a few times.....
Old 04-12-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
Awning Custom Color

In case anyone is interested - here is the awning fabric we opted for on our new Safari - cost an additional $250 to swap out from stock for curbside, street side and rear awnings - not bad in my opinion

Sunbrella Awning Ombre Pattern.pdf
Old 04-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #6

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla2Go
I tried to start a new thread for "2008 Safari" but think it went into never never land.
It's still there -- http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ari-31603.html

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Certain possible issues with the exterior finishes have come to light and I would suggest that you read this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f142...ues-31743.html
Old 05-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
ya know.....skylights are standard....NOW.....and they cost 250 if you don't have one? But wait.....you pay more money now because its standard...but they want even more money if its not there? A....HUMM.....I know what they are gonna say. WE NOW HAVE TO MAKE ALTERATIONS...IT COSTS? someone..anyone...stop ME from going to Jackson center. I might say something I will regret.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:06 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
Vancouver , Washington
19' CCD Ocean Breeze

We picked up our 2008 19' International on Monday. It is an April 08 build. So far, I've noticed 1 piece of the iron-on edge trim that is peeling at the end 1" or so (will repair with hot iron), and another piece that was hidden (on bottom of trim above a drawer) fell off, so since I couldn't see it anyway, I'm going to keep it as a spare piece for repair (the Ocean Breeze edge trim has an "end grain" pattern, I don't know if I could buy more except through dealer). 2 interior rivets that are not seated by about 1mm (minor compared to some that have posted). The gray caulking around the windows in the interior looks like it was applied by a 3 year old having a seisure, not much that can be done about that, and you don't notice it until you notice it, then you really notice it. The new faucet in the Signature Series is really sweet. The new bathroom door latch/knob that started mid-year 2007 is nice also. There is now a switch installed for the refrigerator fan (I recall a thread explaining how to install one, apparently the factory was listening). I has rained about 1" in the past 2 days, no leaks that I could find at all (though you don't find the worst once so quickly, right?). We got the bunk bed option, it is a little sloppy where it meets the interior skin (where you see it when in the bed below), but I'll buy some adhesive backed plastic trim to cover that joint. For some reason, the light in the head, which has a switch, is powered by the same switch that turns on the vanity lights - so if you want light in the bath, you have to have the vanity lights on, which shine on the bed area. Poor planning if you have some reading to catch up on when someone's trying to sleep. I guess that's what headlamps (and tap-lights) are for. Drawers and doors all work and look great. Really, overall, everthing is much better than I allowed myself to expect, and after 4 days (one night in the driveway), we are exstatic about our new TT. Jon
Old 05-04-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyama
(the Ocean Breeze edge trim has an "end grain" pattern, I don't know if I could buy more except through dealer).Jon
Jon,

Contact the service department at the Airstream factory. Chris Burch was one of the people I spoke with there. They can most likely get you some more trim.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
2008 27' FB International CCD Signature Series. We took posession on 6/6/07.
Ordered from Gene Morris at Airstream of Arkansas.
Fit and finish seem to be much improved over our 2004 28' International CCD.
No external corrosion that I can see.
The sliding doors on the roof lockers now have u-shaped spring clips hidden in the corners of the tracks to keep them from opening when traveling. I've seen similar clips that hold a screen panel on a storm door.
Either the factory or Airstream of Arkansas does a better job with cleanup than with our previous trailer. I was expecting to find a lot of sawdust and aluminum filings after towing it home and was pleasantly surprised to find very little.
We haven't found any foriegn objects beneath the floor vinyl.
No leaks at the shower (yet). The only water on the floor was from opening the door and water dripping off.
So far, everything in general is improved. Even the components like the Zip-Dee awnings and the BAL stabilizers seem to work smoother than our previous one ever did. The water pump is even quieter.
Our maiden voyage was to the Moraine View Rally this past weekend and never had a glitch.
The manuals and documentation have changed considerably from what we had. The manual is no longer a poorly copied POS that is stuck in a 3" 3-ring binder. It's now printed and bound like a soft-cover book. It comes with all of the documentation from the manufacturers of all of the different components and is stored in a nice Kelty brand briefcase shaped bag.

Air #4056

Old 06-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #12

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Denny & Terry's '08 27' CCD and soldiermedic's '56 Caravanner were my primo new attractions at the Moraine View rally this last weekend! (pictures later tonight) Denny, that's a great Airstream. Thanks for the quality report!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anyone with a titled 2008 have any observations on their unit?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Having the trailer for a little over a month now, we took it on it's maiden voyage to the Moraine View Rally and had it at Carlyle lake for the last 2 weeks of June.
Issues so far;
Black tank sensor only reports empty.
Floor in bedroom makes a sound - not a squeak - and it's muffled - not very loud - but sounds like stepping on aluminum flashing. It runs the width of the floor at the foot of the bed.
Sony CD/DVD player makes a strange "cat purring" sound ONLY when playing a movie.
Shower door DID leak. No caulk in corners! Why won't the factory deal with this?
I cracked the A/C shroud backing into storage unit. My bad. It's apparently a little higher than our old unit and I must make sure the door is fully retracted.

Overall, we're really happy with it. And as I've mentioned in an earlier post, the fit and finish are improved over our '04 CCD.

Air #4056