Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
22' Safari Sport mfg 08-07. Brought home 10-18 and have 800+ miles on it. Dealer did a great job on prep and walk thru. Interior was clean, no debris noted. Went on a four day outing, everything worked except blackwater tank indicator showed full. After returning home, the next day, found the external water inlet connection to the toilet leaking. Simple finger tighten procedure. Instruction manual for the systems indicator panel says they are calibrated at the factory but gives you instructions how to re-calibrate. Did this and it works fine now. We couldn't be more pleased with our purchase.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:06 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
30' Classic

We took delivery of our 2008 30' Classic in early November.

We discovered several of the door/drawer closure/locks were broken; the springs popped out of two of them and the plastic housing that holds the spring unit was completely split and broken on a third.

Our shower was well sealed and had no leaks at the door for a month. The daily wiping of the shower door rubbed the meager amount of silicone that had been applied at the joint for the piece that the door is mounted to and the opposing side for the door closure wore off and I had to reseal both places.

Four weeks into it, a 14" x 1" x .5" board fell from somewhere between the fridge and the sliding door. The next time the door was opened it would only close half way because this piece of wood was blocking it. We were able to remove the piece of wood by removing the drawer under the fridge to get to it. We have no idea if this is the "guts" that holds the entire trailer together and wonder if the trailer will just fall completely apart.

The dining table forward mounting bracket that is permanently attached to the wall is mounted one quarter inch too low; the table rocks back and forth when pressure is applied on the forward edge.

Three weeks into our travels we found stains on the lighter portion of three window shades. We had not bothered to look at these at the time of delivery.

There are two lumps under the carpet just inside the bedroom from the bath. We have the twin bed model. But, if memory serves (I could be wrong) I have read something about this somewhere on the forum.

The audio/video package that was installed had numerous wiring errors for the sound system. I have posted a fix for this in the Strange noises from the stereo thread.

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:04 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
'08 Classic 30'

We ordered a Classic 30 and took delivery on 12/20/07. The mfg build date is 12/07. Overall the AS is well built. But we've experienced more quality issues at delivery than with our 05 Classic. The discrepancies are minor with one exception, the entrance door!
1) Excessive force to close door (1 broken bolt on latch & striker came loose on trip home-Not Resolved yet).
2) Lack of clearance between 23" TV & valance panel (scored fabric on panel).
3) With TV in secured position, access to A/C-heat controller is not possible (design issue).
4) Poor track alignment on 2 drawers that dealer corrected after we pointed them out.
5) One side of sofa had an excessive gap between sofa & armrest, which did not fit properly either (corrected by dealer after pointing this out to them).
6) Mounteed AC outlet noticebly crooked.
7) Scratches on finish of kitchen coutner top & dinette table top.

On the return trip home, while at a RV park, the power jack quit. While removing the LP bottle cover to gain access to the set screw for power head, I noticed the wire harness was pinched. Further inspection revealed a shorted wire to the jack. Made a field repair to get going. Also noticed the black water tank always reads empty. Traveling the next afternoon, I stopped to get an item from the AS, only to find the entrance door would not close & latch. The striker had come loose. Removed striker and secured door using dead bolt.

AS has numerous good features and I'm not aware of a better built RV. I have no regrets purchasing our AS, although I wish things would have been a little different. Given the cost of AS, I don't think an additional charge to crank up the quality control a notch would be frowned upon. When I'm told your unit is ready for delivery, I can accept a few minor oversights. However, I don't expect to point out an obvious problem that should have been corrected by the mfg. or at least by the dealer prior to being told it is ready for delivery.

My recommendation to AS would be an accountable QC inspector with final say. To err is human, to ignor is lack of pride in one's work.

I have prepared a letter with pitures for both AS and the dealer. I'm not sure if the "contact us" on the AS site will deliver the letter to the responsible person or not. Any imput would be appreciated. The intent of the letter won't affect my experience, but hopefully benefit future AS customers. I believe AS cares about its customers as I care about my experiences.

Open to any feedback,
Larry
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
2008 27FB International Ocean Breeze

Superbly well designed and constructed.

This is our third AS, and 2nd new AS. I have to say Airstream did a great job on this one. The Ocean Breeze theme has absolute wow factor as well.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 04:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsinclair
We ordered a Classic 30 and took delivery on 12/20/07. The mfg build date is 12/07. Overall the AS is well built. But we've experienced more quality issues at delivery than with our 05 Classic. The discrepancies are minor with one exception, the entrance door!
1) Excessive force to close door (1 broken bolt on latch & striker came loose on trip home-Not Resolved yet).
2) Lack of clearance between 23" TV & valance panel (scored fabric on panel).
3) With TV in secured position, access to A/C-heat controller is not possible (design issue).
4) Poor track alignment on 2 drawers that dealer corrected after we pointed them out.
5) One side of sofa had an excessive gap between sofa & armrest, which did not fit properly either (corrected by dealer after pointing this out to them).
7) Scratches on finish of kitchen coutner top & dinette table top.

On the return trip home, while at a RV park, the power jack quit. While removing the LP bottle cover to gain access to the set screw for power head, I noticed the wire harness was pinched. Further inspection revealed a shorted wire to the jack. Made a field repair to get going. Also noticed the black water tank always reads empty. Traveling the next afternoon, I stopped to get an item from the AS, only to find the entrance door would not close & latch. The striker had come loose. Removed striker and secured door using dead bolt.

AS has numerous good features and I'm not aware of a better built RV. I have no regrets purchasing our AS, although I wish things would have been a little different. Given the cost of AS, I don't think an additional charge to crank up the quality control a notch would be frowned upon. When I'm told your unit is ready for delivery, I can accept a few minor oversights. However, I don't expect to point out an obvious problem that should have been corrected by the mfg. or at least by the dealer prior to being told it is ready for delivery.

My recommendation to AS would be an accountable QC inspector with final say. To err is human, to ignor is lack of pride in one's work.

I have prepared a letter with pitures for both AS and the dealer. I'm not sure if the "contact us" on the AS site will deliver the letter to the responsible person or not. Any imput would be appreciated. The intent of the letter won't affect my experience, but hopefully benefit future AS customers. I believe AS cares about its customers as I care about my experiences.

Open to any feedback,
Larry
Well said Larry
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:32 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
2008 27' International FB
Sonoma , California
Leaks, leaks, and more leaks in our new International 27FB

After getting the aforementioned lack of caulking under the TV antenna strut fixed, we went up to Mendocino for New Years, and discovered a few new drips inside. With the recent major rains here in NorCal, last Saturday I went out to check on the Airstream, only to discover puddles inside. Lots of puddles. The Fantastic Fan in the rear had two small drips down to the floor, but more significantly, there was a huge puddle forward, from the shower to the sides of the beds, and water running down the sides of the trailer from seams in the aluminum. And the mattress was soaked, as was the plywood under the mattress.

Fortunately, the storms broke for a bit, and we drove the trailer the hour to the dealer, and had them park it in a service bay (the compromise that we reached after they had told me over the phone that it would be a week before they could look at it, and I told them that it would be ruined in another day). I heard back from them yesterday, they told me that there were huge gaps (the largest that they've seen) in the caulking for the factory-installed solar panels and both fans.

I'm pretty unimpressed that the trailer could have left Airstream without anyone noticing the lack of caulk...
ramblin rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 04:42 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob
Superbly well designed and constructed.

This is our third AS, and 2nd new AS. I have to say Airstream did a great job on this one. The Ocean Breeze theme has absolute wow factor as well.
The Ocean Breeze has to be seen in person to be appreciated. They really do have a 'WOW' factor that doesn't come across in the pictures on the web or brochures.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:20 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
08 25 Safari SS SE leaking

We picked up our AS in early December, the dealer had done a very nice job of cleaning the unit.

A few week later, we found a leak in the front panoramic windows. Back to the dealer for the repair, and during that visit, the dealer also recaulked the shower, as the caulk seemed very sparse, and they also adjusted some of the window latches. A week after picking up the AS from the repairs, we found ANOTHER leak in the Silver Lining. Now the window by the entry door has a leak. Since we have never used the AS to yet, this is rather distressing!

I called Airstream, and emailed them some pictures of the leak. They assured me that it could be fixed, but I don't understand how a trailer less than two months old, and never really used could have two different leaks. Where is the quality control!

Diane
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 01:20 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Scottsdale , Arizona
Cool Over-head light problem?

We have our Brand New 25' Safari SS for a little over a year now and so far have not encountered any leaks. The only problem are the lights. I don't understand why Airstream would install $5.95 lights in such a expensive trailer. The white covers keep popping out and we wind-up looking for them everytime we move the camper. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold out side, they still come loose and have to be snapped back in. The dealer even spoke with the Airstream rep. and basically nothing can be done. Does anyone else seem to have this problem?
jsiemieniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:57 PM   #30

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
No, but on the other hand I would at least ask for replacement covers or look at seeing if you can exert any pressure on the mounting that the covers snap into. Have you brought this back to the dealer for correction under the two year warranty?

The other thought might be wheel balance or whether you drive the trailer over rough roads. Anything else popping out of place?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #31
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
More power to you…

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsinclair

Open to any feedback,
Larry
Larry, I had a crooked plate on an AC receptacle also. The way electrical parts are made makes it very difficult to mount them in a thin aluminum wall and have them as tight as they are in a house or business. You can usually move the plastic plate straight and try tightening the center screw a little bit. If you tighten them too much, the plate can crack. There are heavy duty plastic plates available in the ivory used by A/S—harder to crack. There are metal plates also, but they are generally stainless steel, not aluminum. Hmmm, maybe I'll look for a plate that matches the aluminum interior next time I go to Lowe's. I hadn't thought of that 'til now.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 08:52 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Good suggestion Gene. I'll need to go there and to Bed, Bath & Beyond to get towel hook/bar. The wife reminds me of everything she sees that's not straight and the lack of and/or poor placement of accessories (example, towel bar in shower). Since bringing the AS home and putting it inside, I've watched the snow fall and accumulate. It enough clearing out a path to get the vehicle out let lone the AS. Plan on addressing issues during the mud season so it wil be ready when things dry up. Thanks,
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
Larry, I had a crooked plate on an AC receptacle also. The way electrical parts are made makes it very difficult to mount them in a thin aluminum wall and have them as tight as they are in a house or business. You can usually move the plastic plate straight and try tightening the center screw a little bit. If you tighten them too much, the plate can crack. There are heavy duty plastic plates available in the ivory used by A/S—harder to crack. There are metal plates also, but they are generally stainless steel, not aluminum. Hmmm, maybe I'll look for a plate that matches the aluminum interior next time I go to Lowe's. I hadn't thought of that 'til now.

Gene
Four Courners Unit
WBCCI # 2460 AIR # 17259
lsinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Scottsdale , Arizona
No, nothing else is loose. I did take it to the dealer, they tried to adjust the pressure of the mounting screws to the padded ceiling but that still did not help. Guess I will wait to see if I come across some lights that are better made and replace them myself.....Thanks
jsiemieniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Trussville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFord79
ya know.....skylights are standard....NOW.....and they cost 250 if you don't have one? But wait.....you pay more money now because its standard...but they want even more money if its not there? A....HUMM.....I know what they are gonna say. WE NOW HAVE TO MAKE ALTERATIONS...IT COSTS? someone..anyone...stop ME from going to Jackson center. I might say something I will regret.
We had to pay to NOT have 2 skylights installed. I don't get it....you have to pay someone to NOT cut a hole in it? Also had to pay to not have carpet in the LR area. We spend time at the beach and decided to leave out the carpet there since sand, etc., gets tracked in. Crazy!

Jenny
car2nqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
any update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin rose
After getting the aforementioned lack of caulking under the TV antenna strut fixed, we went up to Mendocino for New Years, and discovered a few new drips inside. With the recent major rains here in NorCal, last Saturday I went out to check on the Airstream, only to discover puddles inside. Lots of puddles. The Fantastic Fan in the rear had two small drips down to the floor, but more significantly, there was a huge puddle forward, from the shower to the sides of the beds, and water running down the sides of the trailer from seams in the aluminum. And the mattress was soaked, as was the plywood under the mattress.

Fortunately, the storms broke for a bit, and we drove the trailer the hour to the dealer, and had them park it in a service bay (the compromise that we reached after they had told me over the phone that it would be a week before they could look at it, and I told them that it would be ruined in another day). I heard back from them yesterday, they told me that there were huge gaps (the largest that they've seen) in the caulking for the factory-installed solar panels and both fans.

I'm pretty unimpressed that the trailer could have left Airstream without anyone noticing the lack of caulk...
Hey Ramblin Rose
Sorry to hear about your leak problems. Has the dealer taken care of everything?
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #36
_

. , .
how bad must it be before a trailer gets REJECTED? part 1...

i recently visited a local rv show...

the a/s dealer had several units on display.

this dealer is well know for selling carefully detailed, fully picked over and tightly finished units...

one of the show units was a 2008 34 classic slide, priced at ~110k$

it was perhaps the rattiest new 'stream i've ever seen.

i took a few pics to share, which follow in the next few posts.

on the OUTSIDE, 90%+ of the rivets were improperly 'bucked'...

by that i mean the rivet tool was unevenly applied or slipped...

so that the nearby skin is nicked or indented....

i think they refer to this as 'rivet brows' or 'rivet crescents'...

a few (<10 might be found on any given trailer) but on this unit finding a CORRECT RIVET was difficult.

it's primarily a cosmetic issue, but some badly bucked rivets have structural issues too...

with the pre-coated alcoa skin EVERY NICK is a breach in the coating, which will corrode.

here are just a tiny and random sampling of these ratty rivets...

click on any pic for a LARGER VIEW...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rivets1.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	58875   Click image for larger version

Name:	rivets2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	58876  

Name:	rivets4.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	58878  
Attached Images

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 08:34 PM   #37
_

. , .
how bad must it be before a trailer is REJECTED? part 2....

more ratty rivets...

the only proper fix for these is to REPLACE the skin panel...

while any given rivet can be drilled out and replaced THAT process doesn't fix the skin nick..

which imo is the important issue here, because of the added corrosion that will happen...

also the replacement rivets will be olympic style rather than 'bucked' unless the interior is removed...

another thing u will notice on almost ALL of these rivets is the scoring/indentations in the normally dome shaped surface....

it looks like the rivet driver-tool must be dirty or contaminated with metal...

so all the rivets have mottled impression STAMPED into them...

there is NO WAY i could or would buy a unit that looks like this...

so my questions for others here are...

1. how many would you accept on a new trailer?

2. would anyone REJECT an ordered unit that looked like this?

3. assuming you have a unit with LOTS of these would you want/seek panel replacement under warranty?

click pix for bigger views...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rivets6.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	58881   Click image for larger version

Name:	rivets8.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	58883  

Name:	rivets9.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	58884   Click image for larger version

Name:	rivets10.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	58885  

Attached Images

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #38
_

. , .
how bad must it be before a trailer is REJECTED? part 3....

more exterior issues...

zipdee bits

the only NORMAL looking rivets were the ones used to attach the zipdee awning trim...

but these are applied later, by a different person with a different tool...

however on THIS unit every bit of zipdee trim was already badly corroded...

again something i've not seen on NEW trailers....

u will also note tiny yellow specks on the aluminum here, just about the zipdee hook...

that is GLUE overspray from INSIDE the unit used to attach the mouse fur and padded ceiling vinyl...

every window frame had a nice coating of this on the OUTSIDE of the trailer...

beltline trim....

the classics have beltline trim that usually COVERS the horizontal rivet lines and panel edges...

unfortunately on THIS unit the trim MISSED the rivets which can be seen peeking out in the last 2 pix...

this can be hidden (after the fact) with a heavier dose of acryl-r or other sealant,

but the trim isn't well sealed and will collect water INSIDE and along the panel edges...

click pix for larger views...

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rivets11.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	58886   Click image for larger version

Name:	rivets12.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	58887  

Name:	beltline1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	58888   Click image for larger version

Name:	beltline2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	58889  

Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 PM   #39
_

. , .
how bad must it be before a trailer is REJECTED? part 4....

just a FEW of the interior issues...

first pic is wood trim attached along the floor, sort of.

it is nailed in THIS position.

several pieces looked like this.

yes they can be removed and renailed...

but how did this pass as OK in j/c?

the ceiling...

the last few pix in this post are the vinyl ceiling in the living area and above the slide...

it's pretty clear that at least 2 sections are NOT attached properly, and will only get worse.

the repair for this is to remove and REPLACE the full section of padded vinyl...

every panel that has bubbles will need replacement...

and unless it is done BEFORE delivery, the buyer will be responsible to for the cost of transporting the unit to the factory or dealer...

with the slide IN this might not be obvious, but it sure is with the slide out!

and again this is a BRAND NEW 100,000 $ PLUS, unit.

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trim1.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	58890   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	281.1 KB
ID:	58891  

Name:	ceiling2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	58892   Click image for larger version

Name:	ceiling3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	58893  

Name:	ceiling4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	58894  

Old 04-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #40
_

. , .
how bad must it be before a trailer is REJECTED? part 5....

ok folks that's it for this unit and string of posts.

but there were more issues, it's just too depressing to continue.

the dealer also had a dwr, safari sport and safaris fb,se,ss unit at the show...

they each had similar issues or areas of corrosion and other obvious fit/finish issues...

the dwr sold at the show (at a greatly discounted price) but it's hard for me to imagine this unit finding a home...

PLEASE INSPECT CLOSELY any unit ordered or considered from the 08 vintage...

cheers
2air'